looking for low fat crunchy snacks

Options
Any ideas for low fat crunchy replacements for the old standby of chips?

Replies

• nseuell
    nseuell Posts: 110
    Options
    Not a replacement, but a healthier chip try Pop Chips - I get them in my grocery organic section and they are baked, and lower cal :happy:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Carrots, celery, cucumbers, a few nuts, low sodium rice cakes.
  • otm25
    otm25 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Special K's new cracker chips. Light and crispy, totally satisfying, plus it gets my salt fix! I love sour cream and onion
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Special "K" makes chips different flavors
    140 calories for appx 27chips

I like the sour cream & onion.

Enjoy!!
  • Foutlaw77
    Foutlaw77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My kids wanted to have movie and popcorn night on Friday, thankfully I discovered Pop Weaver....its made with canola oil, so one cup poppped only has 50 calories and its pretty tasty, I wouldn't have it all of the time, but it felt nice to enjoy real popcorn with them and not feel guilty.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Special K's new cracker chips. Light and crispy, totally satisfying, plus it gets my salt fix! I love sour cream and onion

I just saw these on TV.. I'm going to try them!
  • lynnseyt
    lynnseyt Posts: 20
    Options
    Quaker ranch or cheddar cheese rice cake bites. Crunchy and yummy...help me with chip cravings.
  • mfergie889
    Options
    Have you ever had oriental rice crackers? SO GOOD! and fat free....trader joes makes good ones, and they are only like $2-3 for a big bag!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Kinda off the wall, but I like Indian food. One of my staple crunchy snacks are wafers called "papadums" that you can grill over a flame. I do it right over an open burner on my gas cooktop. They are made of lentil flour and are about 30 calories and about 1 or 2g of fat apiece which isn't bad for a wafer that's about 8 inches in diameter. They come in different flavors too. You have to get them online or from your local Indian/Asian food store. They're cheap too at about 2 bucks for a pack of 10 or so. If you can afford a few more calories, you can dip them in mint, coriander, or mango chutney and really have a yummy snack.
  • HunnyLuvsJorge
    HunnyLuvsJorge Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had oriental rice crackers? SO GOOD! and fat free....trader joes makes good ones, and they are only like $2-3 for a big bag!

Those things are fat free?? How many calories?? I LOVE THOSE THINGS!!

I just discovered that a brown rice cake with a tablespoon of whipped cream cheese tastes almost like the white cheddar smart popcorn. You get the salt, crunch and cheese!! And it's a lot easier to watch your portions with a rice cake. I can't seem to just portion out a serving when I know there is a whole bag calling me!
  • gt45891
    gt45891 Posts: 25
    Options
    Kashi cereals make great snacks, -all of which are high fiber, low fat/healthy fat products. The "Go Lean" almond-flax is a great granola type of snack. The toasted berry crumble reminds me of a high fiber version of "Captain Crunch". And the plain "Go Lean" is an awesome 140Kcal/serving high protein/high fiber filler for any lunch-on-the-go.
  • kiekokay
    kiekokay Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I really like the mini flavored rice cakes. I generally get the sweet ones, because sugar is my vice :) but Im sure the cheddar and other salty/savory ones are good too.
    I also recently started roasting chickpeas and they are a good snack. They are not incredibly low on calories, but they are high in fiber so it takes a lot less to satisfy a craving. Plus, they are healthier all around than chips. To make them I just put about a tbs of olive oil in a bowl and add whatever seasonings you like, then toss a can of chickpeas in there and bake them layered out on a pan at 350 for about 1 hour, or until they are the crispiness that you like...yum!!
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Things I swear by:

Dried, salted green peas: always seem a bit stale to me, but they taste good.
    Snapea crisps: Om nom nom, close your eyes and pretend they're cheez doodles.
    Wheat thins: Sadly, in real life no truck will drop off a pallate of them at your door if you tweet about it. =(
    Pita chips: The parmesan and herb one is especially good, and MADE for hummus.
    If you want sweet instead of salty, get the sunsweet dried plum pieces covered in dark chocolate- they're absolutely delicious. Just don't eat too many of them or you'll have a serious potty emergency.

Nuts are good but uber-high in fat. But it's good fat, the kind you need. They should have a separate list for good fats and bad fats on this site.
  • TheEnd10
    TheEnd10 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many would agree, but I like to munch on cereal for a snack. Rice Chex, Crispix, stuff like that. Most are only about 100 calories for a cup - which is actually a decent amount when your eating it dry. It's my standby to take to my long Saturday morning class.
  • cricketine72
    Options
    For the poppadoms.....The recipe I've found to make them at home calls for frying them in oil. Is there another way that is low fat because I cannot find one.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You can fry the papadums in oil or cook them over a flame. As I said in my post I cook them over a flame to avoid the oil. Plus it's a lot faster. Only takes about 20 seconds to cook one over a flame. There is a round metal grid that you can use to cook them either way.
    If you're talking about actually making them completely from scratch, then I'm not sure what all is involved with that. I buy them pre-made.
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like freeze dried fruit. Particularly the brand All-Brothers-Natural... they have a bunch of different kinds. It gives you a full serving of fruit and they are crunchy and only 30 to 60 calories per serving (one bag).
  • jsannicolas
    Options
    Lundberg Brown rice cakes & Brown rice cakes with seaweed are pretty good!
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Lundberg Brown rice cakes & Brown rice cakes with seaweed are pretty good!
    I'm with you -- I like these, too. Love to have the brown rice ones with a bit of crunchy almond butter and alfalfa sprouts on top. Crunchy and delicious! :)
  • aliphat
    aliphat Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks! I had totally forgotten about papadoms. Our local Superstore in Nova Scotia carries them occasionally.