Going over in sugar?

Options
I go over in sugar so often. It's stressing me out a little bit! Even when I don't eat sweet things I can never manage to stay at my daily goal, it's so frustrating. I read somewhere that your sugar intake should be no more than 15% of your daily calories. And I don't go over that, but that little red number taunts me every day. Does anybody have advice for keeping sugar intake low? or information about how much is too much/just enough?

Replies

• Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, so if someone has a good answer let me know too! :tongue: I'm always over on sugar, and I too try to eat "healthy". Typically the sugar comes from fruit, yogurt, etc. But the negative red number drives me crazy too!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Switch to plain greek yogurt, only 7 grams of sugar. Most yogurts are LOADED with added sugar.

As for fruit, try lower sugar fruits. Berries are an excellent choice. Blackberries and raspberries in particular.

Also try cranberries. only 5 g of sugar per serving and they will kill your sweet tooth! hehe
  • blaiseleone
    blaiseleone Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Switch to plain greek yogurt, only 7 grams of sugar. Most yogurts are LOADED with added sugar.

As for fruit, try lower sugar fruits. Berries are an excellent choice. Blackberries and raspberries in particular.

Also try cranberries. only 5 g of sugar per serving and they will kill your sweet tooth! hehe

That's the thing. I eat plain greek yogurt, and I eat fruit. I'm not sitting here munching on cookies all day long! haha
    I'm distraught because I'm eating healthy stuff, and MFP is telling me that stuff has too much sugar.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options

Yes I typically do greek yogurt, but with fruit flavoring. I can't stand plain. I'll give the berries a try. Thanks!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I love the plain kind! Tastes like cream cheese to me :D haha

and im sure you eat lots of fruits ^-^ and so good for you! Just saying some are much higher than others, like an apple may have 20g and raspberries have like 7 haha

I love berries! Much more fiber and delicious :D
  • jaysvw
    jaysvw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with going over on sugar as long as it's coming from natural sources like fruit.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly what your eating and I'm not trying to be presumptive about your diet at all but this is what I've learned from all the nutrition books/websites/health magazines/food labels that I've read. There are lot's of hidden sugars in every day foods as well - processed foods especially and even some of the healthier food options out their will remove salt but add sugar to make it taste better - so even if something says 0 Fat or low calorie, it could have a lot of sugar in it. Fruit sugars are better for you but still have to be comsumed somewhat in moderation. Fruit juices, which seem like the healthier option, are full of sugar - natural yes, but still sugar and 1 cup of apple juice is the equivalent of about 3 medium apples (if that helps put it in perspective). One other thing to remember is there are lot's of veggies that break down into sugar - corn, carrots, peas (just to name a few) - are all carbs, and carbs are sugar. I'd google it, but I think, unless you are diabetic, or at risk for diabetes then being over your sugars a bit isn't a big deal. But if you are worried, then start reading labels to find the "hidden" sugars in your diet b/c that's probably the culprate :smile:
  • lockedonna
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I have a question. How are you keeping track of your sugar? I just signed up almost 2 weeks ago, but my food diary only keeps track of calories, fat, carbs and protein (at least that's all I see) and when I go to reports, it just shows how much sugar intake I've had over the past week. How are people monitoring their sodium and sugars and such? Is there a place here on MFP or are they doing it on their own?
  • hedleyrocks247
    Options
    Go to settings, under the food tab - and you can add sugar to your food journal!
  • hedleyrocks247
    Options
    Can I also add that carbs is the number that you should be keeping your eye on (unless you are diabetic) and I wouldn't worry too much about tracking my sugar at all. So as long as carbs are under or close then it's all good!!! :smile: