New to jogging.

Options
I would really like to take up jogging because in the past few weeks I've eaten badly causing me to stop losing weight. I've looked through all the benefits and know it would help me in this case.
I was just wondering how to start exactly. What's the best time to jog? Because I was thinking early on in the morning before work but that depends on the lightness. Also, how did people get over the embarrassment of being seen jogging because I'm easily embarrassed and will constantly think people are looking at me and judging me.
How do I deal with this so I can get the right workout for me?

Replies

• mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    i have the same problem. I thought about using my local running track and doing 30mins 2 a week but i'm too embarrassed.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Check our the Couch to 5K (C25K) Program. It's wonderful! It's 9 weeks of podcasts and is free online. There are lots of music styles to choose from. I use Suz's C25K program from kissmyblackass.org
    It's hip/hop mostly. And who cares what people think? You are doing this for YOU.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I used to feel embarrassed to go the gym, etc. But you know what? If someone is judging you because you are doing something to get healthy that's absolutely ridiculous, they're the one that needs to be questioned! Honestly you can't worry about what others are thinking of you. If someone judges you, they aren't worth your time anyway. Don't sweat it! Just do what you want to do for YOU and no one else.
  • laurafatts
    Options
    I have been looking at CT5K idea and it seems interesting and easy to do. I am one of those people who will expect too much too soon so I need a program that starts off slow and increases. Having that means I wont be disappointed if I can't do as much as I would like.
    And when I thought about it, running along our beach/prom early in the morning would be the easiest as the only people on there at that time are dog walkers or joggers. And it would probably help me get up earlier for work :)
  • LoveLaughLive1
    LoveLaughLive1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've spent years worrying about what other people think. When I run, my face turns bright red. NO MATTER WHAT. Yeah, I have people look at me at the gym. You know what? I wear that sweat like a badge of honor. Fact is, that I'm taking my life into my own hands and if the best thing they've seen is a sweaty girl with a bright red face AT THE GYM, then they need to get out more often. I would rather be seen at the gym than at Micky D's.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    People will always judge you get to decide what you want to believe. Use a positive inner statement (voice) and what them say won't matter. "I'm doing this to be healthly". " I love my body for helping me get to my goals". Anything positive that puts nasty thought out of your mind. Good luck remember you get to choose your thoughts. Choose to think people are saying nice things (since you don't honestly know what their thinking anyway)
  • monheim2
    monheim2 Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel the same way about thinking that people are watching me, but they really are not. Find a safe place and start out slow. I took a jogging class last year, and we beginners were told to walk for 1 minute & then jog for 30 seconds. You repeat this as often as you can. If you walk more than you jog the first couple of times out, that's no big deal. My first time out, I could barely jog 15 seconds much less 30!! But keep at it, you will get there. The first time you jog your 1st tenth of a mile, then 2, then 3, its a great feeling & before you know it, you've jogged a 1/2 mile!!! It just keeps going from there, and it is a great sense of accomplishment. You will begin to see the same faces in the park, and they will actually encourage you to keep going. Be sure to stretch before & after to keep from getting cramps & to help not feel so sore in the beginning.

It may sound silly, but I sing to myself to keep pace & to keep my mind off the fact that my legs are screaming stop! If you can find a buddy to go with you that will also help keep you focused.

Just get out there & start! Don't worry about how fast you go, just keep going. I am very slow, but I have come to enjoy it very much. I wish you all the best in getting started!!
  • quiltingrunner
    quiltingrunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running two years ago because my mom has Alzheimer's, as did all the women in her family, and aerobic exercise is the only lifestyle element with any good science behind it shown to delay/prevent onset. I am NOT athletic in any way. Coordination of any kind is limited to activities that are simple and repititious. I started off with Podrunner's 5k program and the Couch to 5k is very similar. It was pretty ugly at first, could barely make it through the first week. I even repeated most of the weeks at least once because I was struggling so much. But I stuck with it. What I've discovered is amazing. You can almost see the stress, worry, insecurity, and doubt fly off you as you run. What replaces it is balance, peace, power, and the confidence that anything is possible. I ran my first 5k in December and I'm preparing for my first 10k now. It's an awesome feeling. As cliche as it sounds, just do it. You'll be glad you did.
  • KimKoz
    KimKoz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I run at night, I'd prefer morning but I work at 7am and with kids its just not happening for my schedule. I could care less what others think of me, atleast I'm outside doing it. Those people that chose to judge are just jealous in my book. If they really cared about themselves they wouldn't say a word.

Like others said, check out the couch to 5k programs. Also look up running groups in your city. You would be shocked to see not all have the runners body. Most, like all of us on here just want to get in shape.

Enjoy it, find locations that are safe and places that keep your eyes busy, makes the run go by faster for me. Changing it up a bit helps.
  • AScheif
    AScheif Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! Before I became a "Runner" (which I feel I can now acurately call myself) I HATED running, jogging, fast walking, whatever you wanted to call it. And I was also embarassed of people seeing me, especially when you live in a town of 2000 people and know everyone! :blushing:

But I am living proof that it does get easier, and if I can do it everyone can!! There are lots of differnet opinons out there about the best way to start running, some of them are really scientific, some take too many calculations, lol, I just wanted a way to get my butt off the couch and START! ...so I went about it the easiest way possible (in my opinion). I picked a route that I liked, (it was probably 3k when I started), and I did the same route every day, each day trying to jog farther without stopping then I had the time before. The first while it was REALLY discouraging when I would jog a block and be winded. But slowly I could see myself being able to go farther and farther without having to stop till eventually I was able to jog the whole route....by the time I got to that point I was no longer embarassed about people seeing me and I was seeing a difference in how my body looked and obviously how it performed. Not long after I was making my route longer, pushing myself more and more....now I take a more "scientific" approach to running (ie. intervals, timing it, etc)....but who wants to think about all that when you are just starting out?! :happy: Good luck! I hope it goes well!!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I also call myself a runner and run during lunchtime in the City (UK)....meet/pass lots of different shapes and sizes....to be totally honest, I don't think people look at you in any way that would be classed as embrassing...we are all just doing our own thing...in fact generally get a thumb up or a head nod!. My advice would be to start slowely..totally streach before and after..walk 3 mins...try running 5...or pin point something in the distance (post/tree) and run till there...then walk repeat etc...good luck...you can do it!
  • SheilaS95
    SheilaS95 Posts: 17
    Options
    I know how you feel... I've recently taken up jogging again, and am totally preoccupied about how much I jiggle when I run... but you know what? If the other people around are going faster than you, they aren't really paying attention to you anyway, and if you are in front of someone, well, we may be jiggling, but at least we're jogging and not walking! (that's what I keep telling myself as I run around the indoor track at my YMCA :) ) Don't be afraid to go for it! Everyone has to start somewhere... my father started walking/jogging when he was 350+ lbs... 9 months later he crossed the finish line of his first MARATHON! that could be you too!
    I tried C25k last year, but quit after an injury... this time around, I'm just counting laps at my Y and trying to make it farther without stopping each time I'm there to run!
  • ElianeSweety
    Options
    Everydoby are busy with their own thing! That is the true. Nobody care if YOU, personaly, are running or eating for 3 at Mick D's. If someone look you they are not even seing you and if they see you, in the next second they don't don't remember your face. Even I ask my self sometimes: what is that that I walk everyday around my house for years and still don't who are walking in my side or even if I saw them before. :-/ Well, modern life! I guess.

When I look someone running or jogging the only thing that come to my mind is that I am lazy and I should be doing the same.

Ops. I have to say that I live in London. :-)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    There are many groups on this site who are using the C25K program, so you may want to join one of those threads.

I'm doing that program myself and just finished Week 1.

As others have said, most people have better things to do than watch you run. :wink: And don't kid yourself that all runners are tiny 90 pound sprites who would blow away in a good wind--they're not! Sure, the ones who compete at the Olympics are, but in the real workd runners come in all shapes and sizes. :flowerforyou: