Every pet owner needs to read this!!!

Options
This is completely off topic. I have a minature schnauzer as you can see in my avatar. He got sick over the past weekend, he is eight years old. I took him to the vet first thing monday morning, he had abcesses teeth. To make a long story short he almost died and had 28 teeth removed. I have always considered myself a great pet owner, I keep him groomed, up to date on shots, but I had never had his teeth cleaned because it was over $300 and seemed a little useless. The point of the story is I almost lost my dog (my husband and I can't have children) it was horrible ordeal and I have felt awful about it, but he is home now and I am making it a personal goal to inform as many people as possible about the teeth cleaning. So think good wishes for Peyton and talk to your vet about dental care! (I am sure most people aren't as ignorant as I am and most of you probably already know this, but I still wanted to share my story!!!)

Replies

• ehorner1976
    Options
    This is completely off topic. I have a minature schnauzer as you can see in my avatar. He got sick over the past weekend, he is eight years old. I took him to the vet first thing monday morning, he had abcesses teeth. To make a long story short he almost died and had 28 teeth removed. I have always considered myself a great pet owner, I keep him groomed, up to date on shots, but I had never had his teeth cleaned because it was over $300 and seemed a little useless. The point of the story is I almost lost my dog (my husband and I can't have children) it was horrible ordeal and I have felt awful about it, but he is home now and I am making it a personal goal to inform as many people as possible about the teeth cleaning. So think good wishes for Peyton and talk to your vet about dental care! (I am sure most people aren't as ignorant as I am and most of you probably already know this, but I still wanted to share my story!!!)
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hope that Peyton gets better soon, and thank you for posting this. I have 2 kids...a Weimaraner and a Great Dane. Luckily they love to have their teeth brushed, so we do it everyday with pet toothpaste and a baby toothbrush.

Best wishes to Peyton and let us know how he's doing. :flowerforyou:
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry to hear about your doggy! i'm glad that everything should be okay!!

i think that this advice goes for humans too!!! i had not been to the dentist in about 4 years because of no insurance. I figured if i flossed, brushed and mouthwashed everything would be fine! WRONG! I had horrible jaw pain, went to the dentist finally, and I had an absess, and 5 cavities. I had to pay out of pocket for a rootcanal, removal of my wisdom tooth, and 5 fillings. cost about 2500.00 OUT OF POCKET YIKES!! and then from all of the trauma to my mouth and nerves, I now have a nerve problem in my face which is called trigeminal neuralgia. and let me tell you, ive never felt something so horrible and awful! Luckily it only comes on occasion, and has been dormant now for the last 3 months *knock on wood*

GET UR TEEF CHECKED EVERYONE!!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your baby, I am glad he is ok. Poor thing... I completely understand you when you said about spending money in dental cleanings for pets and brushing them. We did the same, well sort of, with our first family dog. We were pretty lazy to brush his teeth 90% of the time and tried chew bones instead. He did have about 3-4 cleanings by the vet in his 16yrs of life. But at the end his teeth looked so rotten...he died at 16yrs of age but I think it was a combination of old age and infection from his teeth. But hey 16 yrs of a dog's life, not bad. Now with our two new dogs we have been doing better brushing their teeth and when their time comes for a professional cleaning we will bite the bullet...we are also very responsible pet owners.

I love you Schnauzer, sooooo cute. I had one but unfortunately he passed away last year due to the negligence of the staff at the kennel he was staying at. You can see his picture in my album in this site. Mac, love you and still miss you so much!!!! :cry: :cry:

((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))) :flowerforyou:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Wow! :noway: Major bummer! But happy that Peyton (is he named after any football stars, lol?) is home and doing well. I agree that our four footed children also need attention and care, and are very valued members of any family. Also... ummmm... errr.... does he get to go see canine dentist and get dentures? LOL :laugh: :wink:
    Smilingdog21.jpg
  • searls717
    Options
    ehorner - I know your pain. I have a peek-a-poo that we had to get his teeth cleaned about 3 months ago. It does cost a lot of money to get them cleaned, but it is well worth it. I hope he feels better soon!
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    don't feelbad the same thing happned to my neigbors maltese -poor thing had an abcess that broke thru to her snout we thought she had a sore on her nose - she never looked likeshe was in pain.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I don't think bunnies need to have their teeth cleaned, do they? My vet has never mentioned it. He always checks their teeths though. I know sometimes when they get older, they need to have them trimmed.
  • WFTomba
    Options
    I don't think bunnies need to have their teeth cleaned, do they? My vet has never mentioned it. He always checks their teeths though. I know sometimes when they get older, they need to have them trimmed.
    I had a rabbit that lived to be 11 years old. I don't think we ever had his teeth cleaned. Rabbits' teeth are always growing, so the surface of the tooth probably replaces itself over time, I would think. Dogs' and humans' teeth don't keep growing.

Edited to add: But I don't know for sure. You should ask the vet next time your bunny gets a checkup.
  • ladyhrs1
    Options
    As a vet tech and a huge fan of dental care in pets it is soooo important to keep up on their teeth. The bacteria that lives in the mouth very much likes to work its way to the heart in cases of severe dental disease. Oh, and as far as rabbits and other furry critters such as guinea pigs, definately be sure to keep up on teeth length!
    Good luck with your little dog!