TMI-Constipation Help!

Options
I'm kinda embarrassed to even post this, but I need ideas!! I haven't went number #2 in a week. I took Miralax 2 nights ago, and ex-lax last night and still nothing! I know I've got crap that needs to come out. I've felt slugish all week, plus no loses. Which I know can be do to platueing, but pretty sure its got something to do with the fact that not alot has left my body. I've been eating plenty of fiber, drink lots of water, and am out of ideas. So if any of you have any please share.

Replies

• aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    OK, I hope this is not tmi... but can you feel a tightness in your tummy? if so, it may be time for a suppository.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    One of my exes ended up swallowing a bunch of mineral oil over the course of a couple of days. Apparently it's like colon lube.

XD

Sorry! Sounds so gross but it worked for him! lol

GL!

EDIT: I wanted to add that I did master cleanse once and it calls for top-down salt-water enemas. Meaning, every morning, you drink a ton of salt water. It was super gross because I ended up on the toilet for like 2 hours but I swear, that's gotta be the best constipation cure ever. It was too intense to do again.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    try Pericolace, very gentle stool softener. Works every time for me.
  • mollymcarter
    Options
    Go on a run. It will help loosen things up!
  • michellehorvath
    michellehorvath Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you are eating but someone suggested to me that if you make a big dip in the amount of fat you ea you can get bound up. This happened to me.....I try to use a little more EVOO when cooking and that usually helps!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I would take more Miralax. If two days in a row of Miralax doesn't get things moving, then I'd go to the doctor. You are right - a week is too long...
  • nikos
    nikos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Senna leaf tea.
    Traditional Medicinals makes it. It's called Smooth Move.
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My daughter swears by her morning coffee...older folks have said drinking hot water helps....don't keep taking too many things though; you don't want to 'explode' when things do start moving....good luck to you!
  • ricnrac
    ricnrac Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    my morning walks seem to keep me regular.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Senna leaf tea.
    Traditional Medicinals makes it. It's called Smooth Move.

Senna ROCKS! Softens it and moves it gentley. You can buy it anywhere sold under the label Senekot.

Then you need to eat more fiber ---- salad, vegetables :)
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You gotta get things moving again! You might have eaten too much fiber too soon. Your body has to adjust to the changes you are putting it through with your food intake. I had this problem 2 weeks ago, not fun. Go to the drugstore and get an enema. Talk to the pharmacist. He can make a good suggestion for you. I have started drinking a cup of hot water every morning, (my grandmother swore by this) thinks have been better. :bigsmile:
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been told to eat 1/2 of my vegetables raw. When I do this, there's never any problems. Try eating a salad everyday and see if that helps.
  • alilind03
    alilind03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Smooth Move tea helped me also when I had that problem. I would drink it at night and would have "success" every morning. I believe you are only supposed to use it for a certain amount of time. So, now I daily take Magnesium Glycenate- 400 mg twice a day and I haven't had issues since.
  • pooh072572
    Options
    TMI, but corn always makes me go. If you can find corn on the cob, or just frozen corn try it.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    a week is a really long time especially if you're not feeling 100%. if u can't get to a doctor, u can ask a pharmacist. and don't be embarrassed, they've heard weirder stuff, and constipation is pretty common. they'll tell u the best over the counter stuff to take.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have super weird bowel functions.... 4 days on, 4 days off is what we call it. I got 4 days without pooping at all, then 4 days of nonstop pooping. It's like clockwork.

Now that I've been eating a ton healthier, I go at least once a day but still sometimes get back into the 4 days cycle. So. If I feel like I need to go but can't.... a Slim Fast shake always made me go. Seriously. I have no idea why but I always went after drinking one. It's soooooooo weird.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I don't mind bumping this for you!

I'd say that a if you haven't tried a suppository than it may be time to try one. I'm sure you could get one at Walgreens or a CVS.
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like a tea from Yogi called Get Regular. It's not as "aggressive" as some of the other teas, so sometimes it takes a day or two...but, I don't get the cramps and sweats that I sometimes get with the others. You might consider adding a stool softener, like Colace, to your daily intake. It's not a laxative, so you can take it daily. I don't do yoga, but I do know there are some poses that help with digestion/constipation. You could google it and see if any of those help. Here's my TMI...my absolute last resort, go to is to eat a salad at Steak n Shake. They use some sort of preservative/wash on their lettuce that my body totally rejects. Gross...but completely reliable for me.

***Oh yeah, when I worked at a nursing home, they would spike the Ensure shakes with pure maple syrup or Karo syrup....worked like a charm! I know a lot of nurses aids would toss those shakes when they smelled syrup...it was sure to be a busy night!
  • bakerp90x
    bakerp90x Posts: 17
    Options
    Okay, I'm going to be very honest with you. About two years ago my colon was completely blocked to the point where everytime that I ate, my body threw up. I had no idea what was wrong, so I went to a doctor. The doctor told me to get an enema. I went to the drugstore and got Fleet (or you can get the store brand, works just the same - there are two kinds, I can't remember what each are called but if you look at the directions one says to hold the liquid in for like 2-5 minutes and the other says like 8-10 - get the 2-5 minute one, it works, the other does nothing , at least not for me).

Using an enema is really not as awful as it sounds and it clears you right out. B/C I had such a severe case, I was told to do an enema 2/3 times a day for 2 days. He also told me to take chewable vitamin C.

Right now I add 2 TBS of flaxseed to my diet everyday. I either add it onto my yogurt, or mix it into a salad dressing, or even just sprinkle it on top of scrambled eggs. I tried Activia for that two week challenge and it actually made me constipated, so I just use whatever nonfat, plain yogurt at the store is cheapest.

The flaxseed has worked like magic for me. I try to limit my coffee, but sometimes if I feel like I haven't gone for awhile, I drink a cup of coffee and that also helps. In extreme cases I'll use another enema (but you aren't supposed to use them too often, occasionally is fine).

Hope that helps and I know it can be such a frustrating problem.
  • bakerp90x
    bakerp90x Posts: 17
    Options
    Oh, I totally forgot - if you get powdered magnesium that you add to a drink, that works like MAGIC. Just don't add too much to begin with or it will give you diarrhea.