Protein

Options
clrock11
clrock11 Posts: 13 Member
Hey everyone, I'm new to myfitnesspal! I actually have some questions and if anyone could answer that would be great. So, I am looking for a protein that doesn't have any artificial sweetners. I have come across Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey Protein Isolate and
Optimum Nutrition 100% NATURAL Whey. Which one is better for you? Also, I am currently using GNC Soy Protein 95, how does it compare with those? Any suggestions for a different product if I want a soy product with a new flavor like chocolate peanutbutter? I know, lots of questions. Would appreciate the help! :) THANKS

Replies

• JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I use a vegan protein powder that comes in a bunch of different flavors.

VEGA whole food health optimizer.

http://myvega.com/products/whole-food-health-optimizer/features-benefits
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Hi and wecome!

I use Raw Meal from Garden of Life since I'm allergic to whey/soy proteins. I was using Vega that I really liked, but needed more protein.

Raw Meal hooks me up with soooo many vitamins and nutrients, whilst adding 33 grams of protein~

Best of luck to you!!
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Not that I was asking, but thanks! Never heard of Raw Meal before but will definitely look for in in my local health food stores. I find the best I can do from most vegan/vegetarian protein powders is 25 grams per scoop. 33 grams per scoop is awesome!
  • jalfrey
    jalfrey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second tub of LG Sciences Lipotropic Protein. It has a great amino profile, ECGC from green tea, and the price is pretty hard to beat!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/legal/lipotropic.html
  • Pange33
    Pange33 Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi and wecome!

I use Raw Meal from Garden of Life since I'm allergic to whey/soy proteins. I was using Vega that I really liked, but needed more protein.

Raw Meal hooks me up with soooo many vitamins and nutrients, whilst adding 33 grams of protein~

Best of luck to you!!
    How does that taste? I was looking it up, but I didn't see anything about taste. I'm using Lifetime Life's Basic plant protein, hemp, chia, pea protein, chocolate. I like it, I didn't know how it compares to Raw Meal. Thanks!
  • Diya13
    Diya13 Posts: 24
    Options
    Generally different brands of protein offer very little else except for the sticker on the bottle that's different. The crucial thing to notice is if the protein is cold filtered or not - so that the whey protein is in its natural more preserved state towards the end. Most protein companies do not manufacture their own protein they generally provide the recipe they want to a third party manufacturer and bottler. This tends to drive up the cost of protein, if you are considering a whey protein I would recommend higher power whey isolate from www.bodybuilding.com. Since this is owned by the website there is no middle man cost associated with the product.

With that said it's important to remember that supplements should always be viewed as food. Nothing more nothing less - whey protein provides an easy conduit to a highly bio available protein source in a convenient form with considerably lower total calories than its equivalent in chicken, beef or other traditional forms of food.

With those ideas in mind - as long as the protein source has a high BV (grams of protein per serving / grams of total serving) the protein will suffice. Ideally with whey protein a BV of 80% or greater is good. That would mean if a serving scoop is a 30 gram serving, if there is 24 to 27 grams is perfect! Whey protein also has ALL the essential amino acids that your body requires by comparison vegan and soy proteins do not. The difference between essential and non essential aminos is simple - essential aminos cannot be naturally made by the body and must be acquired through external sources. It is also important to note that amino acids are the building blocks of the body - they form proteins that constitute muscle tissue. But please do not go overboard with protein intake inspite of what the magazines say you DO NOT need 1 gram per lb body weight of protein. The body can only absorb so much beyond which is excreted in urine. The most important aspect is providing an external stimulus to the body that will force the body to elicit an adaptive response in the form of hypertrophy, fat loss etc. It's like getting a sun tan, once you expose yourself to intense sun light for a brief period your body does the rest if allowed sufficient rest.

With regards to flavor I tend to prefer strawberry or fruit flavors. I have a healthmaster blender so a fruit flavored protein complements fruit smoothies that I make.
  • clrock11
    Options
    How do you feel about using it even though it has artificial sweeteners? I'm a little skeptical. But other than that I am really considering buying it. Plus, I want to lose weight and not bulk up.
  • clrock11
    Options
    I'm on my second tub of LG Sciences Lipotropic Protein. It has a great amino profile, ECGC from green tea, and the price is pretty hard to beat!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/legal/lipotropic.html

How do you feel about using it even though it has artificial sweeteners? I'm a little skeptical. But other than that I am really considering buying it. Plus, I want to lose weight and not bulk up.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options

bulking up is a total myth. you would have to be doing heavy duty strength training and eating a body builders diet to "bulk up".