losing weight but don't see it

Options
I've lost 5 lbs over the past 3 weeks... not a considerable amount of weight but I'm happy with it. The thing is, I can't see that I've lost any weight. I went shopping yesterday and still bought the same size clothes. I'm not measuring my waist, thighs, etc... just going by how my clothes fit.
When should I expect to actually begin to see that I've lost weight?

Replies

• bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I find I only ever notice any difference after every 15lb, it seems that for me works out at about a dress size. Keep it up and you will be a size smaller in no time.
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I didn't drop a size until I lost almost 25 lbs, then i lost less than 10 more and dropped another size.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    10lb is about a dress size; but the first week or so is mainly losing water so it may not show up yet.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I've lost 10 and don't look or feel different at all. If anything, I feel fatter than I did before, b/c I feel like I should look/feel thinner, lol.
  • mandycox1301
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I have lost 26 lbs so far and still feel like there isnt ENOUGH change, I try not to let it frustrate me. It is a daily issue for me to overcome. It will come for you. Just be patient and look ahead. It will happen for us soon and it will be GREAT!!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 lbs & don't see it... but everyone else does. The only time I see it is if I do side by side comparisons with photos.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    10lb is about a dress size; but the first week or so is mainly losing water so it may not show up yet.

This is an excellent point. Water weight is the first weight you lose when you start eating healthy and exercising. For me 7lbs is a pants size, but I am a petite person that carries my weight very well (size 6 at 148lbs).

I lost 4.4 lbs in my first week and I didn't see a difference either, but now at 12lbs I'm down almost 2 pants sizes, and ALL of my clothing is too big. Give it time, you will see a difference!! Great job on your weight loss.
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm with Diet45. I think I lost 25-30 lbs before I went down a size in pants. After that, I went down a size every 10-15 lbs. Hang in there. You will start to notice the changes soon and it is soooooo exciting when you do. Good luck!
  • SNorrisii
    SNorrisii Posts: 31
    Options
    Alot of the times you will start loosing the weight in your face or neck first so that will likely be the reason your clothes are not changing yet
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    yeah i've only lost 7 lbs and i haven't noticed that much of a difference other than a little bloating around my waist from the water weight. Last year when i was on W.W, i dropped 15 (then ended up gaining it back) but when i dropped that 15 i went from a size 14 to a 12
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I have lost 18 pounds. My co workers see it but I dont. I see it on the scale but that is it. My suggestions is to take your measurements and a picture of yourself (full body shot if possible) and about every 2-3 weeks retake your measurements and picture. Keep a little journal that has your weight, measurements and pics and compare them to the previous weeks. You will see the difference. It just may take a few weeks or possibly months. Keep up the good work, and keep up updated.
  • darblij
    darblij Posts: 89
    Options
    HI, I've only lost 6lbs so far and although I can't see any changes I feel so much better that I'm out of that rut...just seeing the numbers drop on the scales makes me feel so much better about myself...makes me feel it is possible....can't wait to see the changes though!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice until I lost 10 pounds.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    For me.....I don't really "see" any weight loss (or gain)for quite awhile. I'm a gastric bypass patient and it's very common for someone who has lost a huge amount of weight, say 100 lbs, to walk around for months even years, not really "knowing" what size they are. It's a trip! The therapists call it body dismorphic disorder. Yes, it's real. It happened to me. One can look in the mirror and really see a 245 person standing there, when you really weigh 145. Strange but true.
    I am almost 7 years out from surgery and I still do it, (to a certain degree) to this day. Right now, people tell me I look good, but I've gained a bit and I feel like I've gained the whole 100 lbs back. (I haven't, I'm 25 over my perfect weight of 165.) The mind is a trippy thing...Let your clothes tell you how big (or small) you really are. Yep, still fighting the good fight, even after RNY surgery.
    Hope this helps! Marci
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I didn't drop a pants size til I lost 20 lbs!

Keep at it!!
  • IdaMoreno38
    IdaMoreno38 Posts: 105
    Options
    HI, I've only lost 6lbs so far and although I can't see any changes I feel so much better that I'm out of that rut...just seeing the numbers drop on the scales makes me feel so much better about myself...makes me feel it is possible....can't wait to see the changes though!

"LIKE!"
    This is exactly what I was thinking!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs now and i'm not seeing it, no one else is either. I had the in laws over for lunch today and i had a few different things to them and my mil said "are you still on that diet?" When i told her i was and i'd lost a stone she didn't believe me.

There is a thread in the motivational forum though about a woman who carried the weight she'd lost in sugar up and down a shop and that really made me think. 14lbs is alot to carry and i'm glad it's gone even if i'm not seeing it yet. So it might take another 10lbs to go down a clothing size. I'm really looking forward to that.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how heavy you are to start with. Like me I sarted at 315 pounds so the first 40 was hard to see but now each more pound that comes off, it's definately starting to show more and more and I'm finally seeing it in my clothes! In another 37 pounds it should be real noticable for me, I hope anyway...lol. There was one before and after pic yesterday
    I saw and she had only lost 8 pounds but boy you could really see a change. It's different for everyone but hang in there, your time will come. If your not exericsing, then you should start because that is what really changes the shape and size of your body! Good luck!
  • KTNemo
    KTNemo Posts: 100
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, we are all different. I was on another program and lost 6 lbs, but you couldn't tell. I was working out a ton, and my clothes actually felt tighter. Now that my muscle is replacing my fat (and isn't just sitting underneath my fat) I am noticing a huge difference in my appearance. I didn't see a difference until I was closer to 10 lbs lighter.

Take your measurements. It is so much more rewarding to see inches disappear than lbs. I am down at least a 1/2 inch in all my measurements, and I am down 2.5 inches in my waist and hips.

Most importantly, don't get discouraged. Stay off the scale for a little while, and just focus on all the good habits you're establishing (how you feel), rather than your weight. You will notice a difference in no time!