Blueberry muffin recipes?

Options
eating4balance
eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
Right now I am stuck using a blueberry muffin mix box, but I would like to be able to make a blueberry muffin at home, without all of the artificial and unhealthy ingredients in Betty Crocker's mix.

Does anybody have a really good and healthy blueberry muffin recipe? (Not too dense or dry)

P.S. I don't use splenda or any other artificial sweeteners. Sugar, fructose and honey are fine by me :smile:

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    LOVE these! I freeze them, and even though they're suuuper moist, they don't mold if you don't freeze them :)

DANNON LOW FAT MUFFINS
    1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
    3/4 c. sugar
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2/3 c. Dannon plain non or low fat yogurt
    2/3 c. skim milk
    1/2 c. blueberries or grated apple (optional)
    Combine first 5 ingredients. Stir in yogurt and milk, blending until dry ingredients are moistened. Fill paper lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until brown. Makes 12.
  • eating4balance
    Options
    LOVE these! I freeze them, and even though they're suuuper moist, they don't mold if you don't freeze them :)

DANNON LOW FAT MUFFINS
    1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
    3/4 c. sugar
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2/3 c. Dannon plain non or low fat yogurt
    2/3 c. skim milk
    1/2 c. blueberries or grated apple (optional)
    Combine first 5 ingredients. Stir in yogurt and milk, blending until dry ingredients are moistened. Fill paper lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes or until brown. Makes 12.

Yum. Those sound really good! And only about 130 calories each! I have never used yogurt in place of fat in a recipe, only applesauce. Do you find that yogurt works better?
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    Sounds yummy xxx
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Found these yesterday and want to make them tomorrow....

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000002001862

Looks yummy and relatively healthy!
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    ok.... I dug around in my 400 calorie fix recipe book.... I will post two muffin recipes. one for fruity bran muffins which I just made and are yummy.... and for these:

Red, White and Blueberry Muffins
    Prep time 10 minutes/ cook time 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins
    180 calories each muffin

2 cups all purpose flour
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 TBSP baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 eggs
    1 cup strawberry blended yogurt
    1/4 c buttermilk
    1/4 c melted butter
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    1 cup frozen rasperries, blackberries and blueberries

Preheat oven to 400. Coat a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray,

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

Whisk together the eggs, yogurt, buttermilk, butter, and almond extract in a medium bowl

Fold the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just mixed. Gently fold in the frozen berries.

Spoon into the muffin pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Calories.... 180
    Total Fat 5g
    Saturated Fat 3g
    Sodium 250mg
    Carbohydrates 30g
    Dietary Fiber 1g
    Protein 4g
    Calcium 10%

Make it a 400 calorie meal by adding 1 container (6oz) 80 calorie light yogurt, 1 medium banana (110 calories) and tea with 2 oz low fat milk (25 calories) = 395 for the meal.
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    Fruity bran Muffins

1.5 c. raisn bran cereal
    1/2 c. low-fat or fat free milk
    1/2 c. low fat plain yogurt
    1/2 c whole wheat flour
    1/2 c flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 ground cinnamon
    1 large egg
    1/4 c vegetable oil
    1/4 c molasses
    1/4 c brown sugar
    1/4 c raisins
    1/4 c dried cranberries
    1/4 c chopped dried dates

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 12-muffin pan with muffin liners or cooking spray.

Put the cereal, milk and yogurt in a medium bowl. Stir to combine.

Stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl.

Add the egg, oil, molasses, and brown sugar to the cereal mixture. Stir well until the cereal breaks up and the ingredients are well mixed. Add to the flour mixture. Stir until combined. Stir in the raisins, cranberries, and dates.

Place 1/4 cup of the batter into each of 12 cups. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Avoid overbaking.

220 Calories
    7g Fat
    1g Saturated Fat
    340 mg Sodium
    37 Carbohydrates
    3 g Dietary Fiber
    4g Protein

Make it a 400 calorie meal by adding 1 TBSP peanut butter (90 calories) and a latte made with 3/4 cup low fat milk (80 calories) = 390 calories for whole meal
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I like doubled the blueberries, but they're def moist, if I had the option i wouldn't use applesauce. They're great how they are ;-)
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe off the forums here but unfortunately did not note the author's name.

The recipe and all the comments below are hers. I can say this: I just pulled my very first batch out of the oven, and was surprised at how truly delicious they are. I added more blueberries to mine, but everything else seems right on. They are not at all dry or heavy -- and are just sweet enough to be really satisfying. Hope you enjoy them as much as I am!

Fresh Blueberry Banana Muffins

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup Skim Milk
    1/2 cup Blueberries
    3/4 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
    2 tablespoons honey or agave
    3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 Egg
    3 Bananas, mashed
    1 tablespoon Cinnamon
    1 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour

Mix all ingredients together, and put into muffin pan about 2/3 of the way full. This will be a pretty thick muffin mix. I added my blueberries in last, and hand stirred them as to not squish them in my mixer. bakes at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I made 24 muffins with this recipe

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Chol
    Total: 1665 367 13 45 133 217
    Each 69 15 1 2 6 9

The entire family loved these! The real serving size is probably more like 2 muffins, but hey with a glass of milk it may satisfy! My calorie count had Honey, and one regular egg. I will use my egg whites next time, to reduce a little more. The calories may change a little for the agave also. Enjoy!!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe off the forums here but unfortunately did not note the author's name.

The recipe and all the comments below are hers. I can say this: I just pulled my very first batch out of the oven, and was surprised at how truly delicious they are. I added more blueberries to mine, but everything else seems right on. They are not at all dry or heavy -- and are just sweet enough to be really satisfying. Hope you enjoy them as much as I am!

Fresh Blueberry Banana Muffins

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup Skim Milk
    1/2 cup Blueberries
    3/4 cup old fashioned oats
    1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
    2 tablespoons honey or agave
    3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 Egg
    3 Bananas, mashed
    1 tablespoon Cinnamon
    1 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour

Mix all ingredients together, and put into muffin pan about 2/3 of the way full. This will be a pretty thick muffin mix. I added my blueberries in last, and hand stirred them as to not squish them in my mixer. bakes at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. I made 24 muffins with this recipe

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Chol
    Total: 1665 367 13 45 133 217
    Each 69 15 1 2 6 9

The entire family loved these! The real serving size is probably more like 2 muffins, but hey with a glass of milk it may satisfy! My calorie count had Honey, and one regular egg. I will use my egg whites next time, to reduce a little more. The calories may change a little for the agave also. Enjoy!!
  • misskimh
    misskimh Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • mandalynne85
    Options
    bump
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have a delish recipe on my food blog:

http://momvsfood.blogspot.com/2010/10/sunny-morning-blueberry-muffins.html

It has a little lemon for a bright, sunny flavor!
  • eating4balance
    Options

I know it says 6 big muffins, and 12 smaller muffins, but are the big muffins like REALLY BIG?
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I know it says 6 big muffins, and 12 smaller muffins, but are the big muffins like REALLY BIG?

They are like .... coffee shop/bakery size big. I can make 12 in the 2" muffin tins, or 6 in the 3" muffin tin. I don't know why I ever bother making 2" muffins because I just eat 2 instead of 1, hehe
  • scoops13
    scoops13 Posts: 31
    Options
    bump
  • heathermomofthree
    heathermomofthree Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use the fiber one muffin mixes, 1c of pumpkin, 1 c of water and bake as directed. I think they are like 80 cals. and super yummy I used the bananna nut mix.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Lemon-blueberry muffins

Lemon-blueberry muffins, with a sour-sweet glaze and hint of nutmeg, are perfect any time of day.

Yield: 1 dozen (serving size: 1 muffin)

Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 cup butter
    1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
    1 large egg
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    1 cup blueberries
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup powdered sugar
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 400°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Combine buttermilk, egg, and rind; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack to cool.

Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled muffins.

Note: You can make these muffins up to 2 days ahead and glaze them the morning of the brunch.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    187 (23% from fat)
    Fat:
    4.8g (sat 2.7g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.3g)
    Protein:
    3.7g
    Carbohydrate:
    32.6g
    Fiber:
    1g
    Cholesterol:
    30mg
    Iron:
    1.1mg
    Sodium:
    264mg
    Calcium:
    59mg
  • eating4balance
    Options
    Thank you. You all have given me some great recipes to use :)