single cream substitute needed

Options
hi i have a wonderful recipe for macaroni cheese but it has fattening single cream in it, what can i substitute it with please and thanks, :smile:

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Perhaps fat free evaporated milk?
  • jadorex40x
    jadorex40x Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    is creme freche or greek yogurt the same??
  • Ginia5
    Ginia5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    so this may sound crazy, but my kids eat it.... I make a soup puree with sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots and vegetable broth - I eat it as a soup, but I put it in my kids Kraft Dinner instead of milk and butter and they eat it every time (I still put the powdered cheese, or real cheese if a feel adventurous) - good luck
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have used fat free half and half. Seems to work fine. There are a few natural versions where I live. Not sure if available everywhere.
  • AnitaAntone
    AnitaAntone Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half and half in all recipes as a substitute for cream/whole milk, it does awesome to add creaminess, thicken sauces,etc,,,and its easy to find and comes in several sizes so i can use it up before it goes bad,a great all purpose substitute

Creme fraiche is thick like yogurt but is basically sour cream that is made with a bacteria that makes it less sour and tends to be around 25% fat.