Can a person have to much fiber???

Options
I never realized how much my intake was till I started wondering... Can to much fiber be a bad thing??? I figure I eat average 50 grams a day along with protien at 90 and Carbs at close to 300. Im loosing weight and I have no side effect or anything bad going on, I just know its like double the recommended dose. But will that many carbs, im getting lots of fiber from all my whole grains. When I exercise and get almost 500 cals back I eat most of them. So it just goes up up up but I would say 60 is max on a high day. Any thoughts to this?

Replies

• rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    And no I am not in the bathroom all the time. Its completely normal. This is what blows my mind and makes me think it is ok, but just thought id ask to be on the safe side.
  • AlexTCasas
    Options
    Occasionally, my fiber intake reaches > 90g and I have never experienced any problems. I guess the answer is no.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    25g is the recommended daily MINIMUM. your level intake is just fine =)
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Well, I think if your system is running smoothly, there's nothing to worry about. Just make sure you keep drinking enough water to keep it moving through!
  • magenta4c
    magenta4c Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I wonder... Does it come from natural sources, such as muesli, whole grain breads and alike or rather supplemented in shakes? I think as long as it comes from your regular food its all great, but I also believe you can have too much of a good thing... Now I don't know about the biochemistry happening nor do I know what a normal amount is,... im just generally a believer in natural sources. :)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I never realized how much my intake was till I started wondering... Can to much fiber be a bad thing??? I figure I eat average 50 grams a day along with protien at 90 and Carbs at close to 300. Im loosing weight and I have no side effect or anything bad going on, I just know its like double the recommended dose. But will that many carbs, im getting lots of fiber from all my whole grains. When I exercise and get almost 500 cals back I eat most of them. So it just goes up up up but I would say 60 is max on a high day. Any thoughts to this?

Since your protein level is also on the higher side, you want your fiber to be higher. This helps to keep you regular! Just make sure you continue to keep your water intake up to keep things "running" =)
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I feel better about it all now hahah I just came across an article that said to much fiber can cause blockage and kill you and I totally snapped! I freaked out! hahah but yes it all comes from whole grains since im on the "Carb Lovers Diet" I eat lots of whole grains and fruits and veggies. No protien shakes. I sorta thought I was ok but just needed reassurance. I do drink lots of water. I just started counting the other day and I have a 16oz glass I use and i fill it approximately 7-8 times daily. Sometimes more if im doing exercises. So does this all still sound ok? :)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Yep, just as long as you are "regular" ....... when you get backed up... for an extended amount of time is when it becomes a problem!