It would be cool if there were a calculator to tell you what

Options
amycal
amycal Posts: 646 Member
For instance with food I have eaten and planned I have 505 calories left, 5 grams carb, 14 grams fat and 65 grams protein. Other than meat (which I wasn't planning on today) or a protein shake I honestly don't know what to eat. I haven't bought protein powder because I haven't found the perfect one - I don't use artificial sweeteners and a lot of common brands include heavy metals as per a Consumer Reports magazine.

I would love to be able to plug these numbers in somewhere and get suggestions!

Replies

• cculver78
    cculver78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking this the other day! It would be great if it could give you suggestions for what to eat based on calories remaining.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    That would be amazing!!
  • BrianBier
    BrianBier Posts: 18
    Options
    For instance with food I have eaten and planned I have 505 calories left, 5 grams carb, 14 grams fat and 65 grams protein. Other than meat (which I wasn't planning on today) or a protein shake I honestly don't know what to eat. I haven't bought protein powder because I haven't found the perfect one - I don't use artificial sweeteners and a lot of common brands include heavy metals as per a Consumer Reports magazine.

I would love to be able to plug these numbers in somewhere and get suggestions!

Amy,

I like to have a dose of whey protein right before I go to bed ... depending on they type of protein you use, that can be anywhere between 100-200 calories.

This will benefit you in a few ways:

1. Help your body use the protein while you are sleeping (also when your body rebuilds/recovers from your daily activities)
    2. Whey right before you sleep will help your body increase its HGH levels...this will aid in recovery/rebuilding as well as provide a more restful sleep
    3. Helps give your body the needed calories at the end of the day without loading on carbs/starches which should be eaten earlier.

A few good protein powders that I would recommend are:

Hammer Nutrition -- this is more expensive than most however it is the best value in terms of the quality
    Designer Whey
    Cytosport 100% Whey (big bag from Costco)

Hope this helps!

Brian
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Go to a health food store for protein powder. They won't contain artificial sweeteners, though some use Stevia, which I think tastes funny. and a lot of them contain natural or organic ingredients with no genetically modified ingredients.

As far as figuring out what to eat, a lot of people can offer suggestions. But in all honesty, meat is your best option for protein, especially when you have that much left.
  • BrianBier
    BrianBier Posts: 18
    Options
    I forgot to add...as with any product nowadays... you will want to read the label and try to get a product that is 100% whey protein "isolate" vs. "concentrate" ... this way you get more actual protein per serving and less lactose and fat.

Also, finding one that has glutamine in it as well will also aid in immune support and muscle rebuilding.

Brian
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Brian - Thanks for the tips. I do have a Costco membership but can't get there today due to work. I found some at a local store by Body Logix. It looks pretty good - it has a protein blend from both isolate and concentrate. 24 grams of protein in a 29.4 g scoop - only 115 calories, 1 g sugar and 3 g carb total. I normally hit around 100 g of protein just in food but without eating meat today I was falling short even though I had eggs this am and greek yogurt at lunch.