Pancakes.....................?

Options
emlov81
emlov81 Posts: 128
Hi all,

As Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday) is approaching, I would like to indulge a little and have a pancake or two!!!

Was going to add fruit/honey etc rather than sugar/chocolate as fillings...Does anybody have a healthier recipe for the actual pancakes??

Thanks

Em:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    i just posted a better batter pancake recipe the other day for some others for Shrove. I will send it to you , I gotta go thru my recipes again
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    try these I love pancakes and crepes but the carb and fat can be over board
    When I worked in a fine dining restaurant back at the start of my Chef career , we did a Sunday brunch for the wealthy ppl of a Country Club , SO we made these:

The batter:
    1 1/3 c AP flour ( u could use a better flour)
    2/3 c oat bran
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 3/4 c butter milk
    1/2 c mashed ripe banana
    2 tbsp butter, melt it
    1 egg
    1 tbsp maple syrup ( or any other kind , i sub in sugar free now)
    1/2tsp vanilla ext
    3/4 c fresh blueberries
    1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
    and cooking spray

In a bowl mix your flour, oats and baking soda and powder together. Set aside
    add all your wet(include banana) ingredients together in a bowl and mix, then add to your to your dry bowl.
    Mix until all moist and then FOLD in the blueberries. Do not over mix
    Spray your pan and spoon about 1/2 cup of batter for each pancake.

I also make this strawberry sauce with mine:
    2 cups diced fresh strawberries
    3 tbsp pure maple syrup ( again I have learned to sub it out for a more healthy choice)
    1/4 c orange juice
    1 tbsp corn starch
    Mix the bottom 4 items together whisk well and then add your strawberries, cook over med high heat,, stirring so it dont stick and let it bubble and your sauce will thicken up. I like my sauce warm. but you can put in fridge and serve cold

Once your pancake is done serve with a dollop of yogurt and drizzle your strawberry sauce over it.

this batter yields about 10 pancakes
    343 cals
    8 fat
    12 protein
    62 carb
    4 fiber
    58 chol
    582 sodium

enjoy
    ~Chef Jenn~
  • Brannyrocks
    Options
    I've swapped out some of the white flour for oat or whole wheat flour before, they are okay but can take some getting use to. With the oat I used about 1/2 oat flour and 1/2 white flour and have tried using all whole wheat flour and same 50/50 mix with whole wheat and white flour.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm using the traditional british pancake recipie. eggs, flour and milk. Not too massive in calories. I know people will think it's scandalous (sp?) but i'll be having the traditional lemon and sugar on too. I love pancakes and really i can't think how they'd be half as nice if they were done differently. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point in having it?
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks guys, will have a look at these!!! And compare to usual mix....

I'm using the traditional british pancake recipie. eggs, flour and milk. Not too massive in calories. I know people will think it's scandalous (sp?) but i'll be having the traditional lemon and sugar on too. I love pancakes and really i can't think how they'd be half as nice if they were done differently. If you don't enjoy it, what's the point in having it?

Good point!!!! :laugh: Just trying to have a good week!!!
  • kajunsarah
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The best pancake recipe I've ever come across, bar none, and they're made with whole wheat flour. Give them a try; you won't be disappointed.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 pancakes, 2 tablespoons syrup, and 1 1/2 teaspoons butter)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    Cooking spray
    3/4 cup maple syrup
    3 tablespoons butter

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.

Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Spoon about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes over when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Serve with syrup and butter.

CALORIES 351 (26% from fat); FAT 10g (sat 4.6g,mono 2.8g,poly 1.9g); IRON 2.1mg; CHOLESTEROL 55mg; CALCIUM 176mg; CARBOHYDRATE 59.7g; SODIUM 570mg; PROTEIN 7.6g; FIBER 2.3g
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I make them with whole wheat PASTRY flour and no one can believe how light and fluffy they are. Just replace it with regular flour in any recipe. I also use yogurt instead of buttermilk. Yum!
  • angelroses
    Options
    Thanks Jen,
    Going to try the. Nice to know what the upper crust have for breakfast.
    Caroline
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes

1/2 cup oatmeal
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    4 egg whites

Blend all ingredients in blender.
    Spray skillet with cooking spray and cook just like"silver dollar" pancakes, a few small ones at a time.
    Top with your favorite pancake topping!
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This doesn't really include fruit, but if you are every wanting a "pancake" and don't really want to consider it indulging, this is my life saver!:

1/4 cup dry quick oats
    4 egg whites
    1tsp splenda brown sugar

just whisk those together and heat a pan on medium heat. takes less than 5 minutes to cook. I pair mine with 1/4 cup heated sugar free syrup and it is amazing and easy ( especially since I am the worst cook in the world haha!)
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This site has a super healthy recipe for pancakes- http://www.tenleymolzahn.com/health-fitness/
  • sacchariine
    Options
    I just ate pancakes the other day, and they were only about 130 or so for two. I used the Aunt Jemima Pancake mix. You just add water, although I used milk for another 100 cals.If you follow the recipe it makes about 6 pancakes, but they're quite small. They're filling though!

Just checked my food diary, they were 160 cals for 3 pancakes -that's with water- and I used a light syrup for 100 cals. 260 cals in total is not bad!
  • aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    I just ate pancakes the other day, and they were only about 130 or so for two. I used the Aunt Jemima Pancake mix. You just add water, although I used milk for another 100 cals.If you follow the recipe it makes about 6 pancakes, but they're quite small. They're filling though!

I use great value buttermilk pancake mix that just adds water. It is fast and easy and the pancakes taste great. I think it was 220 calories for four 4inch pancakes. I only ate 2 with spray butter and a small amount of butter flavored syrup. I think I managed a nice sweet treat for about 250 calories. :love:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use the whole grain version of this recipe (but usually with milk, not yogurt):

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/basic-pancakes

And I recently tried these and found them awesome, plus they use up leftover grain (can use rice, or quinoa, etc; but I loved it with leftover oatmeal);

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/19/dining/19minirex3.html
  • RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually use the Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake Mix. I have not had any since joining MFP, but I really do enjoy them every once in a while. I think where we all go wrong is with toppings! Butter and syrup are probably not as good as some sort of fruit topping. I just have never taken the time to figure out how to make a delicious fruit topping at home. If you go the fruit topping route please share!! :)

Also, I might be trying Chef Jenn's recipes!
  • RachelReady2Run
    RachelReady2Run Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually use the Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancake Mix. I have not had any since joining MFP, but I really do enjoy them every once in a while. I think where we all go wrong is with toppings! Butter and syrup are probably not as good as some sort of fruit topping. I just have never taken the time to figure out how to make a delicious fruit topping at home. If you go the fruit topping route please share!! :)

Also, I might be trying Chef Jenn's recipes!