Frustrated. What am I doing wrong!?

Options
I just finished my second week at MFP. I lost 6 lbs the first week, great. This past week I lost two at the beginning and am now up two to be the exact same weight I was this time last week! My daily calorie goal is 1240 and I am always around 1000. I have been eating really healthy foods and working out. I started the 30 day shred 6 days ago. I don't believe I've gained 2lbs of muscle...That seems like kind of a lot. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I cannot be at a plateau already!
If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do differently it would be much appreciated!

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi,, I can't see your food diary but my guess is that you aren't eating enough. The 30 day shred is a rough work out so you need to be eating some of your exercise calories back and 1000 cal a day is NOT enough:) Why don't you make your diary public so we can take a look at it.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    In my opinion based on experience and reading other posts around here, I would guess that you're not eating enough. Particularly if you're doing a rigorous program like 30-day Shred, you probably need to be eating more than 1000 calories (even netting more than that, including eating back calories burned from exercise). I've read, several times, advice recommending not going below 1200 calories NET (again, including eating more to account for exercise). I recommend you try netting at least 1200, maybe between 1200 - 1400 ?

Just my $0.02. Good luck to you and remember, it's a long, persistent process.
  • PrincessLacey
    Options
    you don't lose 6 pounds a week simple as that.
    the first week yes i lost 5 pounds second 3,third 1
    it's not a quick progress (though we wish it was)
    now I lose 5-8 pounds a month if I am lucky.
  • chadac
    chadac Posts: 1
    Options
    Sometimes paying attention to pounds isn't the best way to guage weight loss. How are your clothes fitting?
  • LaurenRoseMD
    Options
    Hi,, I can't see your food diary but my guess is that you aren't eating enough. The 30 day shred is a rough work out so you need to be eating some of your exercise calories back and 1000 cal a day is NOT enough:) Why don't you make your diary public so we can take a look at it.

I second that.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Your body has gone into starvation mode and is holding on to every calorie you eat. Women need at least 1,200 calories a day.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Agree with the not eating enough and also that you're not going to lose 6 lbs every week. Big losses tend to be followed by smaller ones or none at all.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    well 1st it appears by your statement you are only eating 1000 plus working out... right there might be a little problem your not eating enough calories and your body to storing the food. You need to make sure you net calories are at least 1200 a day.
  • momof5skis
    Options
    My best advice is STAY OFF THE SCALE!!!! It is very frustrating to get on the scale expectiong a certain result and not getting it. Just keep tracking your food-everything- and exercising. I've only lost 6 pounds in 2 months but I am wearing a smaller size jeans. So I only get on the scale once a week, but I am considering not even doing that.
    Good luck-don't give up!!!
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
  • SNorrisii
    SNorrisii Posts: 31
    Options
    Studies show that if you are just at 1000 calories ady that you will gain waight because your body will go into store mode you must eat more and keep your calories up and any excerise you do you must eat more for that too just keep your net calories above 1200 or more and you will see results I stay about 1600 cal. a day net and continue to loose about 2-5 lbs a week
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I do agree, cutting too many calories can put your body into starvation mode and cause you to stop losing weight. Use this formula to see how many calories you need to eat every day:

1. Take your weight (or a good weight for your body) and multiply it by 10. This estimates your resting metabolic rate (RMR, the amount of energy you need to simply exist, pump blood, breathe, etc.). If you weigh 140 pounds, your RMR is about 1,400 calories -- the amount you'd burn if you were to run for 14 miles!
    2. Add to your RMR about half that number for activities of daily living. For example, if you weigh 140 pounds and are moderately active (without your purposeful exercise), you need about 700 calories for daily living. Add fewer calories if you are sedentary.
    Next, add calories for purposeful exercise. For example, a 140-pound person would need about 1,400 calories (RMR) + 700 (daily living) + 300 (for 30 minutes of exercise) = 2,400 calories to maintain weight.
    3. To lose weight, deduct 20 percent, to about 1,900 calories. This translates into 600 calories for breakfast/snack, 700 for lunch/snack, and 600 for dinner/snack (or the equivalent of 11-13 Fig Newtons per section of the day.)

if you stay closer to a healthy, reduced calorie diet, you should start to lose weight pretty quickly. Good luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You probably lost water weight the first week. If you aren't drinking enough water or are consuming too much sodium you will retain water which will cause a gain. Make sure you're meeting your calorie goal and eating your exercise calories and avoid processed foods.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you are getting a net calorie intake less than 1200 calories your weight loss is going to slow down or stop. This happened to me when I was only eating 1200 calories and exercising without eating any of my exercise calories. I was only netting around 800 calories a day and I got to feeling terrible. I went to the doctor thinking I had the flu and come to find out I had put my body into starvation mode (some argue against this). My sodium and potassium got really low too. Once I started eating more...which didn't make sense to me....I started losing again. So....try to start eating a net calorie intake of no less than 1200 calories a day. Also watching your carbs and increasing your protein can help too. I wish you luck in your journey to a healthier you!:smile:
  • KKOLB1
    KKOLB1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    imo I'd eat 1300 cal. a day. I did the 30 day shred last year after I had my son & lost 34#;s in 4 months. When I started it this year again it wasn't so much so I had to try something different. You'll always fluxuate here & there but 6# in the first week is A LOT. if you've just started working out after not for a while you can expect a big # like that & then it'll slow down dramatically. did for me this time around anyway. Just make sure you do a level everyday for the 30 days! Good luck!
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The initial loss is mostly water - not fat. And it might be muscle (which would not be a good thing.) My guess is that your workout is causing your body to store more glycogen in your muscles because glycogen is needed to fuel your muscles during a workout. Since you just started this workout, your body has raised the glycogen level order to be ready when you exercise. Glycogen is stored with 3 times the amount of water, so basically you have gained back some of the water that you initially lost.

Don't take a short term approach. The first week (or two) of any weight loss program is going to be mostly water. And, if you're doing it right, it'll only be water, otherwise you might be losing muscle. After the first week or two, you will start burning fat (which is the goal, right?) So, I wouldn't worry about the 2 lb gain as long as you eating right and replenishing your body with the right amount of carbs to fuel your exercise. There are many articles on line about this. Do your research about exercise and energy replenishment.

Good luck to you!
  • tinman1222
    Options
    I agree with what everone else is saying. you need to eat more. I had the same problem. let us know how it works for you.
  • as1789
    as1789 Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks for the input and encouragement. I made my diary public so ya'll can take a gander at that if you want. I knew I wasn't going to KEEP on losing the 6 lbs. Its just discouraging to be the same as last week. I guess I should look at it as 3 lbs/ week...That makes me feel better :) I'm definitely not going to stop. I feel so much better now than two weeks ago and that's the main thing, right?