Couch to 5K?

Options
I just started the Couch to 5K for the first time today, and I love it! It made my workout so much more structured and easier to follow, and I burned more calories than usual without constantly looking at the timer on the treadmill. I've started on Week 2, as I felt the Week 1 was going to be too easy, and it kicked my butt! Love it :happy:

But I was wondering, to those that have completed the program, does it do what it says on the tin? (ie. Are you now able to run 5K without stopping?) I've always really liked the idea of getting into running and would love to know if this program will help me reach that goal of running non-stop for 30 mins.

Replies

• MrsFoster18
    MrsFoster18 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am on week 4 day 2 and I have yet to run 5k at all. I hope I will by the end of the program but I know I will need to increase my speed as I keep going. Right now I range from 4.4-4.8 during the jog/run. I am also hoping as you to run 30 minutes with out stopping!
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did Couck to 5k and really liked it. I'm actually training for a half marathon now, so yes, I can run 5k without stopping! I can' t do it in 30 minutes though. I know a lot people that do c25k that take longer than 30 minutes to run the 5k. Once you can run 30 minutes though a few more to finish isn't really a big deal.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 5 right now and it allowed me to run for 20 minutes straight which was amazing to me. I've never done that before. There are a TON of C25K grads on the site and they have moved on to 10K, half marathons and full marathons.

It truly is a wonderful program!
  • losing4myself
    Options
    How does couch to 5K work? What do the days/weeks look like. I have always wanted to start running but but I can not just jump into it. I've never heard of couch to 5K...sounds like something that would help me though with my goals!!
  • mish26
    Options
    Here's a website with loads of info: http://www.c25k.com/

There are lots of apps out there for the iphone, android and blackberry. There are also podcasts for your ipod.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    On week 7 day 3, running 25 minutes at a time and hit a little over 2 miles, 5k equals out to 3.1 miles. I had to lower my speed to make the 25 minute mark, but completing was my major goal first off and then I can work on speed. So when I am done with the program I don't see a problem completing the 5k and then will start working on 8k and on done the line.
  • losing4myself
    Options
    Thank you mish26 :happy:
  • mish26
    Options
    Also, here is a forum devoted to c25k: http://c25k.cze.dk/

There are people on it in every stage of the program and people that finished it a long time ago but are still running. It has been a huge source of support for me.