needing iron

ShellyMacchi
ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
ok... i have always known i was not getting enough iron... and having just reviewed several weeks of my food diary i can see how MUCH i need more iron *LOL*
Funny, i always thought that iron came more from red meats, spinach etc... but i am seeing it seems (in my case) to mostly be coming from whole grain products (breads, cereals, pastas etc)

Now seeing as i am eating less of those types of products than i was before joining mfp in january this year, i have no doubt i am now taking in less iron than i once was.

Herein lies my problem.
i am already eating as much hot cereals and grain products etc as i can... and even though i am making a concerted effort to add more iron by way of my natural food choices, i can see i am just not going to get enough.
note: i've noticed malt-o-meal hot cereals on folks dairies and it has a ton of iron...sadly i cannot get that here in canada it seems :(

no.. for the record, i am not one to enjoy or use shakes and such so supplementing in that manner is not going to work for me *S*

i am going to have to give in and get an iron supplement..but i know from past experience they often upset my stomach OR cause constipation.

So my question is...
does anyone have any advice regarding a suitable iron supplement that might not upset my system too much?

(note... my food diary is public if anyone wants to have a look and make suggestions, and i am already taking a multi-vitamnin)

Replies

• strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Hello!

I take the generic equivalent of Fergon- ferrous gluconate. It's what my hematologist recommended as the gentlest for my stomach. It'll absorb more if you take it with orange juice or something, and avoid dairy or calcium-rich food around the time you take it. Hope this helps!
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Hello!

I take the generic equivalent of Fergon- ferrous gluconate. It's what my hematologist recommended as the gentlest for my stomach. It'll absorb more if you take it with orange juice or something, and avoid dairy or calcium-rich food around the time you take it. Hope this helps!

Oops... supposed to say "or something rich in citric acid."
  • ShellyMacchi
    awesome! thank you so much for the suggestion!
  • NotaNikki
    NotaNikki Posts: 40
    I don't know what kind of multivitamin you're taking, but I take a women's multivitamin (One a Day Women's), and they tend to be loaded with iron...you just have to check the label. That's what my doctor recommended I take for my anemia, as the pure iron supplements can be really rough on the stomach.
  • ShellyMacchi
    I don't know what kind of multivitamin you're taking, but I take a women's multivitamin (One a Day Women's), and they tend to be loaded with iron...you just have to check the label. That's what my doctor recommended I take for my anemia, as the pure iron supplements can be really rough on the stomach.

actually i am taking the one a day women's (50+) multivitamin... though i am sure it is likely geared 'assuming' menopause has already happened, and for me it has not *L*..but other aspects of this supplement suit my needs. So, i still need find extra iron somewhere.
  • I also have low iron I take ferrous sulfate, 3 times a day.
This discussion has been closed.