Where to begin?

Options
Hi! i am new and i am wanting to lose 90 lbs or as close to it as i can, in the next six months! i know it will take hard work. but i have no idea where to start. i bought a treadmill and do it at least 30 minutes in the morning. if my kids are not yelling for me yet, then i can get in an hour. i have tried eating healthier and smaller portions but do not think i am doing it right. any suggestion, hints, tips, etc... would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Replies

• skinnymom10
    Options
    Hi I have been with MFP since January of 2010. I have lost 50 pounds so far. I have lost my weight by watching sugars and carbs. I also have several workout programs and meal replacements that have really been great in helping me lose weight. I would love to talk about them with you. Let me know if I can help you with your weight loss or fitness goals. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

hope to talk to ya soon.
  • LindsayHein
    LindsayHein Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is important for me to not only look at calories, but also carbs, fat and fiber. I realized that I had reduced my portion sizes and calories but I was eating too many carbs, and lots of simple instead of complex carbs. Learn what you eat to learn what to change. SOmetimes it's not just quantity but also quality. :)
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Snacks like yogurt are great, Chobani Greek is Delish! tastes like a dessert...Make sure to get at least 25 grams of fiber per day, keeps you full, and helps to rid the body of all the yuck....Fiber One bars are great for that, plus it's like eating a candy bar...When using the treadmill try to keep your hands off the rails...I know sounds odd, but you don't get the full workout with hands on....Try to stay away from processed foods, ....Get your protein in...the yogurt I mentioned has 14 grams or more per 6oz cup...Try to stay away from soda, even diet soda...I have been drinking Sobe Zero and Vitamin Water Zero (I have a hard time with plain water, I don't know why) Oh yea, when on the treadmill too, after you get into it, try to increase the speed for minute bursts then back it down...keeps the heart rate going up, then leveling off again...I have an elliptical machine that has different programs on it, so it will automatically do that...maybe your treadmill has this..probably...Everyone on this site seems very supportive, so good luck, and welcome :)
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    thanks for the responses, everyone! really making me feel like I can do this!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    For me diet is as important as the ex.i have been limited to ex due to some health issues.Water is important for your diet.Try to stay away from processed foods and fast foods.Portion control is important.Watch your sodium,as you can retain fluids.Just a few tips,which have helped me.
    Ask questions if you don`t know.There is so much support out there.
    Good luck.
    jane
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    You've set up MFP to give you a calorie goal based on your desired weight loss right?

So to start, I'd set myself up with three main meals and three snacks (you can edit your diary settings to have this). Then divide up your calories between the meals...say, 400 each for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and 100 each for 3 snacks = 1500 calories.

Now, start experimenting with menus until you can meet your goals for the most part. For example, you may love eggs and bacon but find you can't fit them both into your goals at once, so you have a hard boiled egg with your cereal one day and a strip or two of bacon with a waffle the next. That way you don't feel deprived. Allowing yourself small snacks (greek yogurt, granola bar, almonds, string cheese, juice bars, etc.) help you get used to eating less.

Try to avoid simple and processed carbs as the energy rush wears off very fast, leaving you starving. This means white bread and pasta and sugary sweets. Include fiber with all carbs to help slow down the processing and avoid the sudden hunger for more.

Fill up on plenty of plain veggies. Steamed broccoli, huge lettuce and tomato salad, summer squash, green beans, carrots...all are filling, healthy, and low calorie. Use seasonings instead of butter...dill, oregano, parsley, lemon juice, sea salt, cracked black pepper. Sprinkle with a pinch of aged parmesan or feta for more flavor. Eat as much REAL food as you can, it is healthier and more filling.

In the beginning, weigh and measure everything. Log every single thing that enters your mouth. Ketchup, mustard, mayo, oil to cook in, butter in seasoning, tsp of this...smidge of that...it all adds up. Don't leave anything to chance or cheat. The only loser if you do, is you.

Try to make exercise fun. Playing tag with your kids, jogging with the dog, dancing in front of the TV, zumba class, spinning class, it's a lot easier to get exercise into your life if it's enjoyable and not a chore.

Relax and remember that this process takes a long time...it will happen as long as you don't give up or quit. Good luck!