The Dreadmill

Options
I like long distance running, but I find it really hard to stay motivated when I need to run on the treadmill. Where I live, it is not reasonable to run outside between November and April, but there is something about the treadmill that I just cannot stand!!! Does anyone have any tips for getting over this?

Replies

• reslere
    reslere Posts: 7
    Options
    A TELEVISION!! I also recommend watching DVR'd events rather than "live" tv. . . it really makes the time fly!
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Put the TV in front of it.
  • susanliber
    susanliber Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    TV does not do it for me....try an audio book.
  • jencam07
    jencam07 Posts: 1
    Options
    Do anything that takes your mind off of running! I watch tv or a movie while running, and also listening to a really great mix of music helps...I ran 2.5 miles (which is a good amount for me) because I was so involved in a movie that I wasn't aware I had gone that long! Good luck!
  • sarahbarah25
    Options
    I download some really hip hop music for my Ipod and it keeps me going!!! Right now I'm loving the new song by Jlo "on the floor" and it REALLY makes time fly. I LOVE music so it does it for me.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I put on movies on my phone. But I only choose movies that I've seen enough times that I don't have to totally focus on them to know what's going on since if you can fully focus on watching a brand new movie like that, you probably aren't pushing yourself hard enough. lol

I just find that I have to chose movies that are interesting and faster paced, otherwise it makes the time on treadmill seem to drag since the pacing of the movie is so slow.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    If you are @ a gym, make sure you have a good playlist!!

I sometimes will segment my longer runs on the TM. I'll hop off for a mintue @ a specified interval, and reset the mileage and the clock. For some reason that really helps.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I would never run outside! My treadmill is my best tool and my music is my motivator, im latin so I have great choices to really bust it, find ur music...u gotta focus wen running so no tube
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem! tv and playlists don't make the time pass for me. however, i usually sign up for a race each month, and just knowing that i will be participating keeps me running when i would rather quit. i love the book on tape idea!
  • lala362
    lala362 Posts: 9
    Options
    Music, movies... all those are good ideas... but also varying your workout n the treadmill helps... run/walk... change intensity by upping or lowering the incline... get your heart rate up... then down... every couple of minutes.. or every mile or so... not only is interval trianing great for your heart and overall fitness... it will help the time go by faster!