Flaxseed?

Options
Can someone tell me where to buy flaxseed? I see so many people on the site add it to foods, but I'm not sure where to find it.

Thank you!

Replies

• yodachewi
    Options
    Can someone tell me where to buy flaxseed? I see so many people on the site add it to foods, but I'm not sure where to find it.

Thank you!
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    You can get a flaxseed suppliment in the vitamin section of a drug store. However, there are plenty of cereals that have it as an ingredient. Keep your eyes open for it and you will start seeing it.
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    SAMS club has it...so I am sure Wal-Mart will have it as well
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I buy mine at Safeway/Vons. The brand is Bob's Red Mill.
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    Look in the organic section of your grocery store. It may be in the bulk food area as well. You get the most benefit out of flaxseed if it is ground, not whole.
  • lascolaj514
    lascolaj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    grocery store- organic grains
  • pjlim
    Options
    got mine at Costco.

1000mg, 225 soft gel

1 tab every morning
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    And please don't make the mistake I made. Buy it GROUND already. I bought the whole seeds then found out they're almost useless unless ground. When whole, they pass straight through your system without doing a thing.

I had to put mine in the blender for 5 minutes to grind them up.:laugh:

And I put them in everything. Salads, yogurt, on fresh fruit salads, in sandwiches, in my pasta entrees, over baked potatoes.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    If you can buy the whole seed and grind yourself (coffee bean grinder), I've been told it's much better for you. But the preground and more convenient. I've not done it but I use to work with a bunch of health nuts and thats what they'd do.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You can it really cheap at Super Wal*mart. It's in the baking goods aisle by the flour, corn meal, etc. I get the Hodgson Mill Ground (or milled) flax seed. Keep it in the box in the fridge once you open it. HTH!
  • yodachewi
    Options
    Thank you so much! I would have had no idea that it needs to be ground. You guys are a wealth of information.
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    store it in the fridge if you buy it ground- Ground flax will go ransid very quickly!

You can also use in baked goods instead of eggs. 1T in 3 T water. The texture of the baked good will be slightly different but I really like it.

Add over yogurt for a nutty taste to the yogurt or oatmeal!

Also hemp seeds are awesome in salads and baked goods, oatmeal, etc as well!
  • andtckrtoo
    andtckrtoo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get mine whole from Whole Foods and use my coffee grinder to grind it. I get a lot and grind a bit at a time and store it in a plastic container. I love my flax seeds.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I would have had no idea that it needs to be ground. You guys are a wealth of information.

I read that one gets the best benefits from gournd flaxseed as opposed to whole; however, there is oil if one is sensitive to ground flaxseed. I also read it wasn't necessary to store in the refrigerator. I have mine in a canister on my counter for 3 weeks now, and it is perfectly fine.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    what do you use flaxseed for? I saw some in the vitamin section at Walmart today and I know alot of people use it but I have no idea why.

Connie
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Well, if you google it, you'll probably find everything there is to know about it, but I'll give you a 'taste'.

It has lots of fiber, and has a 'laxative effect' on the digestive system, but it is low in carbohydrates. There are properties it has much like fish oil that help lower cholesterol and help prevent heart disease. It has antioxidants.