Got me thinking -

Options
Any thoughts on the GNC style suppliments - Chormium Picolinate, L-lysine, L-carnatine, multi-vitamins, etc.

I know that a well rounded diet should cover most of the bases for minerals, vitamins, and the like, but what you experienced regarding suppliments?

I used chromium for a while, as well as EAS "Betagen", and honestly, didn't really notice any benefits. The recovery benefits that Betagen provided I found I could achieve by eating a banana after weights.

Just curious what some other people have experienced.

Replies

• richardwelch
    Options
    Any thoughts on the GNC style suppliments - Chormium Picolinate, L-lysine, L-carnatine, multi-vitamins, etc.

I know that a well rounded diet should cover most of the bases for minerals, vitamins, and the like, but what you experienced regarding suppliments?

I used chromium for a while, as well as EAS "Betagen", and honestly, didn't really notice any benefits. The recovery benefits that Betagen provided I found I could achieve by eating a banana after weights.

Just curious what some other people have experienced.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    You know, I understand that these are supposed to be "health enhancers" but I saw a TV spot on it not too long ago how one woman was spending around $100 a month for vitamins that she believed she needed, but she was getting plenty without supplements! What I've read/seen is a daily multi-vitamin and a healthier diet and you are golden.

:flowerforyou:
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    My dr recommended a multi vitamin and then a calcium supplement. I travel a lot (for work) so I usually don't eat all of those calcium-rich foods that I should.
  • heyslc
    heyslc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    During my last check-up my Dr. asked if I was talking any type of vitamin. I told him no, I eat a pretty healthy balance... he suggested that I take a multi-vitamin - many vitamins are not stored in the body, so not too much of a risk of a vitamin overdose or side effect. He said any type of over the counter is fine, the more expensive name brands are pretty much the same as the rest. He said he buys the generic for himself. don't know if this helps or not, just wanted to pass it on. Maybe save yourself a few bucks! Have a great day!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin because on my budget, I'm afraid I'm not always getting the nutrients I need in the right combinations. Every other day

I take chromium picolinate once in awhile, as well as Tonalin CLA.

I use Magnesium 500 mg when I need to.... well, ask Mely what I need it for :laugh:

I take a potassium tablet 250 mg. Every other day

I take calcium 500mgs a day (I'm 45 and don't want osteoporisis too soon). Daily

I take ginko biloba for memory and menopause. EVery other day.

I take Chondroitin for joint health, as my shoulder and knees are weak.

Mind you, I don't take all of these every day. In this respect, I'm a middle of the road kinda person. I'm convinced the vitamin/supplement industry deliberately over-'prescribes' the dosage on lots of these things, which is a 'braces and boots' approach, and what happens is the body simply passes out what it doesn't need... So I mix them up, as you can see. This helps me save $$$, because I don't take too many of them. I also buy generic brand.

I also keep track of how much I'm taking and what I'm taking daily. No, you might not notice the benefits, but how would you know if you're benefiting? How much better can you detect that you feel by taking a multivitamin? shrug.... just a thought.
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    the only one I keep on hand is lisyne - in case i get a cold sore - you can only get it from food and I don't eat the foods it comes in - well not enough that I am getting the proper amounts!
  • metalpalace
    Options
    GNC is really good at selling you a bunch of stuff you don't need and charging you way to much for them. I never purchase anything from GNC because money is an object for me. All most people need is a good daily multi vitamin. I take a protein supplement because I want more protein in my diet. You dont really need anything but a daily multi vitamin unless you suffer from a vitamin or mineral deficiency.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    GNC is really good at selling you a bunch of stuff you don't need and charging you way to much for them. I never purchase anything from GNC because money is an object for me. All most people need is a good daily multi vitamin. I take a protein supplement because I want more protein in my diet. You dont really need anything but a daily multi vitamin unless you suffer from a vitamin or mineral deficiency.

^^ This is exactly what I would've said. :tongue:

:huh: Did you Vulcan mind-meld me or something?

The only thing I can add is that, no matter how much stuff you dump into your body, your metabolic systems can only go so fast. Think of it like sand through a funnel. No matter how much sand you dump into that funnel, it's only going to come out at one speed. Dump a ton in, and half of it will just get wasted. So putting in a ton of enzymes/vitamins/minerals/etc. won't 'improve' anything that's already functioning. In fact, I really only take my multi when I'm cutting calories. If I'm in a bulking phase, I'm getting enough--or more--of what I need already.