Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

lossing weight to get pregnant

I am wondering if anyone is going through what I am and looking for some people to chat with...or give each other supoort. I am 35 ready to have a baby...but while I devoted myself to my work I neglected my body the years snuck by. Now in order to increase our chances I need to improve my health which is good for me and a pregnancy. If you are or have been in this situation I would love any words of support or motivation....this is hard and the emotions are like a super roller coaster.

Replies

• Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    I just found out last week that I am pregnant with #5. Everytime that I start losing weight and getting in shape I get pregnant! I think weight loss can greatly increase your chances of pregnancy!
  • nkteach
    nkteach Posts: 41
    I think weight loss does increase your chances. Just keep at it and have fun trying!
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    I'm pretty sure there's a forum on here about this topic, try the search bar. It seemed to be pretty active when I had a peek. :)
  • Well, I'm in the same boat. I'm here to lose weight to increase my chances of having a baby. I have a 5 year old daughter and we are looking to entend our family. About 6 months ago I had a miscarriage, and I gained some weight because, well, its depressing. Now, I'm back on track and ready to slim down some more! Good Luck to you!
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    I am in the same boat. I had a beautiful daughter 16 years ago. I got married in December, 2010 and we really want to have a baby, but I know the risks associated with pregnancy when obese and so far we have not gotten pregnant though we are trying. I am hoping that with weight loss it will be a success. I had one doctor tell me that obesity can cause infertility and that losing the excess pounds and fat can cause a woman's fertility to skyrocket. That is why it is common for women to become pregnant within 6 months of bariatric surgery. Feel free to send a friends request if you would like too. Best wishes to you in your weight loss journey and in becoming pregnant.
  • gjspiller
    gjspiller Posts: 115 Member
    i can relate. i am 38. i got married about 4 years ago. we moved to another city and my life was all about driving to and from work. i gained about 30 lbs. in the last 2 years. my husband and i went to fertility doctor about 3 years ago. they ran tests, and i got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. the doctor said he will not treat me until i manage this. i cannot get pregnant and need help getting pregnant. so there is little choice, other than, get healthy and get treatment OR adopt. so i know how you feel.

i'm finally getting this under control, and MFP has been helping lots! :smile:
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I'm also trying to lose to get preggo :-)
  • Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    I'm in the same boat...I need to lose some weight so we can get pregnant with #2. I never thought I was able to conceive at all (I have polycystic ovarian syndrome) so baby #1 was a big surprise. Now having to deal with the weight and the PCOS is hard but I'm taking it a day at a time. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can help motivate eachother!
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    I was waaay too heavy when I got pregnant with my daughter and kind of felt like I got jipped out of my pregnancy. I never got to have that cute little bump, I just looked fatter. I was very lucky that I didn't gain much while pregnant or aquire gestational diabetes though I did end up having a really big baby (10.7 lbs) and needed a c-section...all of which was related to being overweight.

I am hoping to lose 60-80 more pounds before getting pregnant again later this year.
  • webbstace
    webbstace Posts: 17
    I have been overweight since before my husband and I were married. Every time I started to lose weight it was not long after that I was pregnant. So loosing will definitely increase your chances! After my son was born March of last year my doctors told me that I should not get pregnant again because of a blood clot that formed at the end of the pregnancy. One of the reasons I am trying to lose again is to get rid of my biggest (no pun intended) risk factors so that the possibility is at least open and not the death sentence my doc's make it out as. Best wishes to you in your goals with weightloss and in getting pregnant. Feel free to send a friend request if you would like.
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    When I got pregnant with my daughter I weighted some where between 230-240lbs... and it was really hard. My husband and I would like another baby.. but I am determined to lose the extra weight so I can actually enjoy the pregnancy... And plus to look pregnant instead of just extreamly fat would also be nice.... so needless to say I would like to lose another 70-80 lbs before we start trying again....
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    I was waaay too heavy when I got pregnant with my daughter and kind of felt like I got jipped out of my pregnancy. I never got to have that cute little bump, I just looked fatter. I was very lucky that I didn't gain much while pregnant or aquire gestational diabetes though I did end up having a really big baby (10.7 lbs) and needed a c-section...all of which was related to being overweight.

I am hoping to lose 60-80 more pounds before getting pregnant again later this year.

I lost about 10 lbs when I got pregnant w/ my son in 2007. Wasnt intentional but happened. I didnt have gestational diabeties or anything. My son was born 10 lbs 10.9 oz 23 inches long. He has continued this growth pattern and is now the size of a 5 year old 42 inches and 45 lbs at 3 years old.

I am here to lose weight to be there for my son in the long run and have a hidden hope of getting pregnant though I am not only fighting being obese but also fight PCOS. So doing my best to get to where I am healthy and happy 100% of the time. Not just some of the time. If youd like add me :) Happy to make new friends.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    I had always been told I couldn't get pregnant because my hormones were so screwed up because of my polycystic ovary syndrome, but back in September when I ate healthy for a month straight, I randomly got pregnant. We hadn't used protection in a year and a half because of my past experience (I'd never gotten preg in any of my previous relationships) and because I trusted what the doctors said. I tried to figure out how it could have happened, and then it hit me - the healthy eating regulated my hormones.

I ended up miscarrying because our blood types don't match, but I wasn't far along, so it wasn't a huge emotional loss.

I firmly believe that even just eating healthier can help your body prepare and heal itself to carry a baby :)
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member

I lost about 10 lbs when I got pregnant w/ my son in 2007. Wasnt intentional but happened. I didnt have gestational diabeties or anything. My son was born 10 lbs 10.9 oz 23 inches long. He has continued this growth pattern and is now the size of a 5 year old 42 inches and 45 lbs at 3 years old.

I am here to lose weight to be there for my son in the long run and have a hidden hope of getting pregnant though I am not only fighting being obese but also fight PCOS. So doing my best to get to where I am healthy and happy 100% of the time. Not just some of the time. If youd like add me :) Happy to make new friends.

My daughter is 2 years 4 months and also the size of a 5 year old (40 inches tall and 48 pounds). I feel really guilty that she is so big. It's hard to believe how early in life "big" people start getting treated differently by society. Her car-seat is getting small, she only has about 60/40 accuracy on the potty and she is beyond the max diaper size.

People on the playground assume she's 5 so they act kind of pissy when she acts like a normal two year old. Other people (even Doctors) see an overweight kid and assume we stuff her full of chips and candy 24/7. The short time she was in daycare I overheard the staff complaining about having to lift her to the changing table and noticed she never got to take rides in the special kart they had there the way the other kids do. It's really pretty sad because she is such an awesome kid and I really don't want for all this to traumatize her.
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member

My daughter is 2 years 4 months and also the size of a 5 year old (40 inches tall and 48 pounds). I feel really guilty that she is so big. It's hard to believe how early in life "big" people start getting treated differently by society. Her car-seat is getting small, she only has about 60/40 accuracy on the potty and she is beyond the max diaper size.

People on the playground assume she's 5 so they act kind of pissy when she acts like a normal two year old. Other people (even Doctors) see an overweight kid and assume we stuff her full of chips and candy 24/7. The short time she was in daycare I overheard the staff complaining about having to lift her to the changing table and noticed she never got to take rides in the special kart they had there the way the other kids do. It's really pretty sad because she is such an awesome kid and I really don't want for all this to traumatize her.

Sorry I know your not asking for advice... And I am going to assume your feeding her healthy foods... I would see if a doc could run any kind of health checks on your daughter... I know a family that went through the same thing and i forget what they found wrong it, it was not genetic, the doc was able to treat it and their child is now a normal weight....