a beginner at exercising

Options
Hi all,

I have never been serious about exercising in the past, so I am kind of green at this.

My problem areas are upper arms, thighs, and stomach which still has baby-acquired fat after 13 years.

What would be the best exercises to tone these areas.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,

Diane

Replies

• CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My answer is.... see if you can ask a trainer in a gym. you dont have to have a full session with them most generally but can ask them for a quick pointer.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You need cardio to burn the fat.
  • Earthhorse
    Earthhorse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Any activity will help. You lose from where ever your body chooses to. Good luck and just get active.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Check this thread out...some great exercises!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186979-i-need-help
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    goodness there are SOO many good exercises!! Its hard for me to describe them to you without showing so, the best would be to google toning exercises. The key for women especially is to do toning with weights at LEAST 2-3 times a week. The key to getting rid of those stubborn areas is to keep up with the exercising. It sometimes feels like a slow process but trust me, you will notice and feel a difference. I have been doing an awesome toning class every wednesday morning at the gym I go to.....and another class on Tuesday mornings...an within a month...so 4 times per class, I am already seeing my arms toning up...
  • beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    cardio!!!! supplemented by weight training, u can google ACE or NASM for workout ideas(they are some of the better organizations that certify people as personal trainers).. It is best to do some internet searches from reputable organizations such as them rather than copying people at the gym.....i see people doing some DUMB things there!!!

I lost a lot of weight through running (outdoors) and spin class at the gym . Good luck and message me if u want any specific info. Im pretty much a gym rat. lol
  • darnold67
    darnold67 Posts: 36
    Options
    I think you should try P90X! It's a really great workout! Actually any of the Team Beach Body workouts are. If you like add me and I would be happy to help!
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    cardio is a must. walking, swimming, biking, elliptical, etc. You also probably want to do some strength training. Maybe get a personal trainer or do some research online. I did some of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I saw results after a week if you're on a budget.

happy exercising!
  • dmsnurse
    dmsnurse Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. I really want to make this work for me and I know with the encouragement here, I will make it work.

I found a great workout on www.acefitness.org that I can do at home with no equipment.

I have also dug out my Wii that has been sitting dormant for over a year. I am loving the aerobic exercises. And, my treadmill and I have become acquainted again. :laugh:

Thanks again,

Diane :smile: