1 week in and doubting

Options
So I'm a week in and today I feel horrible. I'm starting to wonder if I took on too much at one time. Stopped smoking, started eating better and working out all on the same day. I just have no motivation today. Anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• kld1624
    kld1624 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way you do. I'm not a smoker, but I am trying to change my eating habits and start exercising. I just joined this site in hopes that it will help me get on the right track. I like how I can see a better picture of where I'm slacking and what I should change. However, it can still be hard to stay motivated sometimes even with all the help in the world. I think we all share a little anxiety and question ourselves until we see actual results. You've just got to jump those initial hurdles and keep going, no matter how tough it seems. Just take it one day at a time, and know that you can do it.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    The first couple of weeks are hard, your body is getting adjusted and you may feel weak, tired and hungry. Hang in there, I promise things will start to feel better!
  • MLG010105
    MLG010105 Posts: 29
    Options
    You have certainly made several big changes in a short amount of time. but they are all really good, really healthy changes. I think the most important thing to do is to focus on quitting smoking. While you're focusing on that, you can start to get into the habit of simply logging your food. Even if you don't meet your calorie goals each day, that's okay. Just get into the habit of paying attention to what you're putting in your mouth and logging it on MFP. Before you know it, you'll be making healthier and healthier decisions...I just know it. :)

Keep coming here for support. This is *not* an easy journey, but we're all in it together. Good luck!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My advice, coming from someone who has been there: put the diet and exercise on the back burner for a while until you get yourself off nicotine. Don't blow off the other stuff completely and use the quit as an excuse to binge, just be an adult about it and set some priorities. Otherwise there's a real risk that you'll bite off more than you can chew, and having failed at any part of your "get healthy" campaign, you'll fail at all of it.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    it can take a little while but i promise you, you will start feeling better. actually, you'll start feeling better than you did before you started. personally, i do feel like i have more energy and my heartburn has gone away!!
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Don't beat yourself up. It takes time to make real changes. If you fall off a bit, don't worry, get back on. Try to give yourself a bit of a break while you get used to this new way of living. It is okay to stip ONE day of exercise every now and then, justdon't use it as an excuse to skip the next day. It is okay to go over your calorie goal for ONE day every now and then.

Sorry I can't offer any advice in the smoking department.

Hang in there, drink lots of water, go for a walk, breath deeply. We are here to support you.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The first couple of weeks are hard, your body is getting adjusted and you may feel weak, tired and hungry. Hang in there, I promise things will start to feel better!

It will get easier
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    The first couple weeks are always really hard. Take it easy with the workouts but you'll start feelin' better before you know it.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    For a while after I quit smoking, I'd cough up crap, I felt like I had a chest infection, I was irritable, my stomach was a mess, and I had near constant headaches.

Pair that with a sudden change in diet and activity levels? EEEK, no way! Start small, quitting smoking is probably the best thing you can do for yourself, and its worth it to make that your primary focus.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I got the eating and exercise down before I quit smoking. I think maybe you're trying to do too much all at once. Maybe you should concentrate on the stop smoking thing first but set your weight goals to maintenance. Log your food and start exercising at least 3-4 days a week. The exercise helps with the stress part of quitting smoking. Then as you get used to not smoking, make small changes to your diet and increase your exercise. You can do it!
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Do one step at a time. I started in January and just have been working on improving my eating habits. Once I get that going, I'm going to add exercise. No, I haven't lost a ton, but I have lost some and I do feel considerably better. It took me many years to get where I am so I figure a series of small successes are better than trying to do it all at once and failing miserably.

if I were you, I'd stop smoking and get that under control, then add in the healthy eating habits, then add in the exercise.

And BTW, you will mess up and fall down. Just get back up and start again. It will get easier.
    New habits are so hard to form, but so worth it!!
  • pocha0704
    pocha0704 Posts: 64
    Options
    Keep at it! Do not stop! It makes a huge difference! Just one day at a time!
  • pocha0704
    pocha0704 Posts: 64
    Options
    Keep at it! Do not stop! It makes a huge difference! Just one day at a time!
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    That may have been too much for your body to take at once. Definitely don't start smoking again, and keep with the healthy eating, but maybe just do light exercising until you start feeling better. Just walking a bit. It takes time for the body AND mind to adjust. Your mind plays a crucial role in success, but you also have to listen to what your body is telling you.
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    Options
    I can see where that would be a lot to take on at once! I'm impressed that you even tried to take on that much at once. I think you need to decide which is more important to you right now, and focus on that.

Or decide us negative Nellies are just wrong and show us all up. To be honest with you, it's what I would do. But I've got a strong competitive streak I've been known to tap into. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it gets me quite some distance.
  • northernpie
    Options
    G'day

I am so totally hearin ya! but that is what this site is all about isn't it., finding the motivation to just keep going. You have taken on a lot but you also have the power in you to overcome the urge to slip back in to old habits. I hope you stick with it :)

Cheers
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I am not a smoker, but when I started my journey I also went from drinking wine on a nightly basis to one day a week. IT was hard, I wanted it, But I kept going cause it was the right thing for my body. You just have to keep going, even thru the rough patches.
    Good luc to you!:drinker:
  • kareokemom5
    Options
    I want to know what and how you are quiting smoking. I am doing good on the dieting and exercise, but can't figure out how to quit these damn ciggerettes. I know I would feel better if I did.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing back in January. Ohhh, and quit drinking - ok, still have a couple glasses of wine, or the occasional night out, but I was drinking nearly every night. So let me say, it can be done, it does get easier. I have dropped 30 pounds, rarely want to smoke, and can run almost seven miles.

The first weeks are th toughest, and if you really feel that it is too much, back off on the diet. But I would recommend sticking with the exercise. The more you work out, the less appealing the cigs will be. Nothing like having to cough up a lung while doing your cardio. This will also help your metabolism an help burn some of those extra calories :-)

Feel free to message me if you need some support.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 20 days ago cold turkey. It is very hard to do..I don't know how many times I had to stop myself from driving to the store or even walking over to the neighbors house for just one cig.

I agree with the previous posters focus on the quitting first while logging what you eat. You will notice what you are eating and start eating a little healthier as you go on.

I will tell you that yes I crave a cig every day I think I want one then it passes very fast. I just have to get on the road of eating better now. I am already taking the first few steps on that road and before you know it, those steps add up to the mile or more that I need to travel.

The only thing I can tell you is don't pick up that cig..even if you have not smoked for a week and say oh I just want one drag or two...NO..please don't. That's how you get sucked right back into it and it is so hard to get back out. Just smack hand and stick a piece of gum in your mouth. I have already been through about 7 packs of gum..lol