anti depressants

Options
Is anyone taking anti depressants?....I have been on zoloft the last 6 weeks, and my only complaint is i feel less motivated for exercise and i have more of an appetite..I have actually gained a good 10lbs since starting the medicine. I really need it for anxiety and depression....anyone having these issues too? how are you coping with it?...any suggestions on how to get over this hump of weight gain and lack of motivation for exercise?...i know this sounds crazy
thanks everyone!

Replies

• tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That is actually one of the known side effects for Zoloft...Is this the first antidepressant you have tried? Zoloft is an older drug and there are many newer ones that have less of this pesky side effect...That said Zoloft is a good drug for some diagnosis so talk to your Doctor about it.

I take Lexapro and have had great luck with that. Are all your other symptoms improving? Also be sure and eat a good diet, some medication takes needed nutrients to break down and absorb.

That said try shooting for 20 minutes of mild exercise. Write it on your agenda on a time and go do it. Tell yourself its an appointment. Once you get started you can go for more, but you don't have to. Consider it a prescription to feel better....Exercise is one of those things that just naturally helps my depression and anxiety.
  • juiicylucy
    juiicylucy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey just saw your post and thought I'd give my take on things. I'm not on antidepressants but have been for a long time in the past. It could be these that have caused your increase in appetite, or it could be that you lost it due to the depression and anxiety and now it's coming back. Mostly if your depression and anxiety are better I wouldn't rush to come off them but maybe discuss the issues with your doctor and see if another type would suit you better (obviously baring in mind that they take a while to start working so it might be a few steps back but also that if you're wanting to lose weight that putting it back on could make you depressed again!)

I would say from experience that I unfortunately have no suggestions of how to motivate yourself to exercise but I can assure you that when you do, you will feel HEAPS better and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. It will help your mood and everything else (losing weight/getting fit) will fall into place by itself if you can keep it up - so my advice to you is summon every inch of strength you can find from whatever source and do some exercise, even if it's just a walk around the block.

I hope you don't mind me replying to your post as I'm not currently in your situation, I have been there so I hope I can help

And finally, it doesn't sound crazy so stop beating yourself up about it - these feelings are normal!
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    A lot of people on this list say some variation of "at first I hated exercise and had to force myself to do it, but now I actually look forward to it." So eventually it seems like enjoyment of exercise is its own motivation. I'm not there yet, but I have arrived at a sort of middle stage where I still hate exercise, but now I love what it feels like to have exercised, so for me that's motivating (even though exercise itself still isn't). But most of us started more or less where you are--completely unmotivated to exercise and having to get up every morning and think of all the reasons why we SHOULD want to (even though we don't) in order to make ourselves do it.

So here's my list: Hard cardio generates new brain cells, which drastically slows Alzheimer's; cardio slows the aging process in all cells; cardio reduces blood pressure; weight-bearing exercise improves strength and balance and prevents loss of bone density; and the top one on my list--cardio is a mood stabilizer and combats depression and anxiety.

For me, getting into a routine helps a lot because then it's more of a habit, so I don't have to think about (and don't have as many chances to talk myself out of it).

Good luck!
  • tink0208
    tink0208 Posts: 10
    Options
    hello

i completely agree with you. i have taken off and on over the past 3-4 years medicine for anxiety. i would take it and it would help the anxiety and on the other hand it would completely exhaust my drive to exercise or well power with food. i am now on cymbalta once a day and i have had the same struggles. you are torn between what you know you want to do but the anxiety medicine has always made me less determined to carry out the long haul with my exercise and food. the medicine seems to take the edge off and let you justify that it's ok to skip the exercise and do it tomorrow ( which we know can turn into multiple days and into weeks thereafter). i have found that i just have to remember how rewarded i feel once i've exercised and once i've skipped that not so healthy food. keep your head up and your willpower strong. you can do this. i wish you well.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've been on various antidepressants (and related medicines) for the past 10 years or so. Really, it comes down to wanting it badly enough. I know that exercise = healthier body and mind, and that's my goal eventually. With exercise I've managed to reduce the number of medicines I take (now on only 1 !). Just push yourself to do it.... everyone has days where they don't want to exercise, but you need to get over it and just do it (tough love, really! hehehe). :flowerforyou:
  • babyru527
    babyru527 Posts: 27
    Options
    thanks yall!!!!!!!!!....i'll keep you all updated, thanks for the great advice and the push i needed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I felt much more energetic and motivated when I started my antidepressant. Started with Lexapro, recently switched to the generic of Celexa because it's very similar and much, much cheaper. :wink:

Exercising isn't something that came naturally to me. Now, it's part of my daily routine of "things I need to do to function normally" - like taking my meds and wearing my contacts - and I look forward to it.

I think what helped for me was having a concrete, non-scale goal: Being able to run a 5k. Now that I can do that, I'm increasing it to 4 miles, then 5, then 6. Having never been a runner, it's great physically and emotionally to know that I can change who I thought I was! :happy:
  • fitmommy4life
    Options
    When I was on zoloft all I wanted to do was eat and sleep!! It seriously effected my life. I switched to prozac and things are MUCH better.
  • thelittlebluebox
    Options
    Weight gain is one of the more unfortunate side-effects of most anti-depressants, in my opinion. I've not tried Zoloft, but I gained weight on both Celexa and Prozac (which was not fun for a high school senior/college freshman, I can tell you that!) However, I've recently switched to Welbutrin, which is one that, as a side-effect, actually suppresses your appetite. I've lost around 15 lbs since I've switched from Prozac to Welbutrin. It's a dopamine-based medication as opposed to serotonin-based, so it may not work as well for you. You might consider talking to your doctor about it. It's no fun gaining weight because of a medication you need.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Weight gain is one of the more unfortunate side-effects of most anti-depressants, in my opinion. I've not tried Zoloft, but I gained weight on both Celexa and Prozac (which was not fun for a high school senior/college freshman, I can tell you that!) However, I've recently switched to Welbutrin, which is one that, as a side-effect, actually suppresses your appetite. I've lost around 15 lbs since I've switched from Prozac to Welbutrin. It's a dopamine-based medication as opposed to serotonin-based, so it may not work as well for you. You might consider talking to your doctor about it. It's no fun gaining weight because of a medication you need.
    I take Wellbutrin also. When my doctor and I were talking about what I should get on I told him I had already lost about 30 pounds, which was true, and I didn't want something that had a side effect of weight gain if I could help it. It has worked great for me and I've been able to lose another 39 or so.
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    8 years ago I lost 70lbs while taking Celexa. It allowed me to get active, to control my eating, and lose weight.
  • scottishtinkerbella
    Options
    I have been on citalopram for just under 6 months. Found that I go between starving myself and pigging out can't find a happy middle and that exercise is barely anything.