Doog Food...FOR HUMANS?!

Options
McKayMachina
McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
*HAHAHHA that should say DOG

If they made a dog-food for humans...would you eat it?

I'm talking about a 100% balanced diet in kibble form.

Flavor = 5/10
Nutrition = 10/10
Full feeling = 8/10
Cost = $5/day

You can buy it in different "flavors" and tweak your caloric intake by simply eating less or more according to the chart on the package. You still need to hydrate on your own and you can supplement your kibble diet with any fruits/veggies (or other foods you'd like). Just check the chart.

THOUGHTS? :)

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Yuk. That's my thought!

Variety is the spice of life.... I need flavours, textures, colours.

But I guess it would be better than a shake diet!! ;-D
  • bethannkish
    Options
    A strange concept, maybe it would work for people who have little money, but I dont see it taking off in the american market
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why there's laws to make pet food safe and nutritionally balanced but no equivalent for humans.

I wouldn't go for the kibble idea, but if someone were to say to me, eat one of these pre-packaged breakfasts from a selection of 5 varieties and a dinner and lunch from a selection of 10 and you'll have perfectly balanced nutrition and exactly the right number of calories, I'd go for it. For a while at least.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I would say it would keep us from being overweight but we would probably find a way to be overweight with kibble as well. Also as much as food runs most of our lives it is also one of those delicacies......some of our best moments will be traveling the world and say taking in a new dish or trying something you normally wouldnt.....or the cheesecake you shared with your first love etc......as much as I wish food didnt exist so that no one battled with weight I think it would make out lives much more boring!!!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why there's laws to make pet food safe and nutritionally balanced but no equivalent for humans

Because human beings are free. We are able to make choices about what we eat.
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    Interesting idea. I think I'd be willing to give it a go. You'd think it would get boring quickly, but I'm not so sure. When I was a child, my mum was a very conservative cook. You could tell what day of the week it was by what we had for dinner, and there was very little variety, yet I never got bored. I would imagine that very poor people in third world countries who live on say rice, and very little else, never think to get bored with their food. Now that I'm able to eat whatever I please I find I get tired of particular foods much more quickly for some reason.
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered why there's laws to make pet food safe and nutritionally balanced but no equivalent for humans

Because human beings are free. We are able to make choices about what we eat.

Yes, but some of us make bad choices (and I'm definitely one of those!!!)

I don't think I'd want to eat my dog's kibble and raw chicken necks, but he loves it!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Nope!!
    Couldn't do it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    YUP!

That was my idea back in September, I even invented a perfect 1200 day balanced meal plan but eating a gelatin like substance 6x a day just wasn't palatable

My photo is there as well http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/133281-human-dog-food?hl=human+dog+food&page=2#posts-1830107
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    I make my dogs their food now. Real food (well a lazy way) potatoes (instant mashed or cutup real) cans of vegetables,and protein sometimes tuna sometimes chicken and a few others. This kind of combo is always in my house. make a week to 1/2 weeks worth at a time about (300 cups _ one big dog one little dog) Anyway I would never eat, nibble, or taste this food! all real, all normal but I made it for the dogs so I would not eat it!!!! so Kibble no way.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ive eaten dog food because if your hungry enough you will eat anything,it was pretty gross and I hope to never have to eat it again
  • kidakiwi04
    kidakiwi04 Posts: 238
    Options
    YUP!

That was my idea back in September, I even invented a perfect 1200 day balanced meal plan but eating a gelatin like substance 6x a day just wasn't palatable

My photo is there as well http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/133281-human-dog-food?hl=human+dog+food&page=2#posts-1830107

I remember that post. Epic
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    YUP!

OMG! hahahha

Wow, I can't believe you actually made it! Did you ever end up sharing your recipe?
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    they do it's called, spam
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    Sounds like convenience food to me!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Probably not. EWW I'd get pretty board with the same texture day after day, meal and meal. Yuck!

My best friend's son hardly eats anything at all but will snack on the dog food. Its disgusting but his ped said let him it will be good for him. He is a weird kiddo. I think all kids try it but he literally will pick a handful out of the bowl and eat it several times a day. I think a lot of the problem is he isn't good with spoons and forks even at almost 6. When I've been at their house he has ate just fine when I've spooned it up for him. So I don't get their issue with it.

I don't think I'd eat my cats kibble no matter how hungry I got. lol I don't remember ever trying dog/cat food though I'm sure I did. I did have to try out the beggin strips once they smell so good it was disgusting and I spit it out.

The problem with that formula is that it would be VERY hard to make it nutritional without extra processing that would just make it so horrible. In order to make it $5/day it would be tough without using cheapest method possible. Which is why cat and dog food is so corn based with a few rice based better options(in my opinion). Cats really were not meant to be eating as much grain as kibble fed cats do. :( I try to get mine canned with fewest ingredients just as I would for myself.