Eating disorder

Options
I know about the well known eating disorders like anorexia and bulemia, but is there more? My friend who is in such great shape and weighs 126 lbs is constatly picking apart her body. I mean constantly. I weigh 18 pounds more than she does and I feel more comforatable in my own skin than she does. She alwasy talks about how she needs to lose more weight and tugs at the very little amount of fat she has on her body. She would look sickly if she lost anymore weight. She says its because shes a dancer and everyones really skinny and her cousins are too, which I get, but I have some gorgeous family members and Im an athlete and there are a lot of well toned athletes that I would like to be the same size as too. She always says she doesn't have an eating disorder just bad body image because she eats so much food, but is there an eating disorder to explain this? I really want to help her see how gorgeous she really is. Maybe she could just tone up or something? I feel like losing weight is what she thinks would make her be "healthy". :/

Replies

• AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    She may not have an "eating" disorder, but it sounds like she has really low self-esteem, and a wrong mental perception of her body. It's similar to an eating disorder, because they are both mental, but it's not. It has the potential to be, and could be the root of one, and it's unhealthy with a mindset like that. She probably needs some sort of counseling to help her.
    There are a lot of women who have really low self-esteem, and always talk down about their appearance and weight, but not all end up starving or binging & purging as a result.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's not really an eating disorder I don't think, but I'm pretty sure that sounds like "body dysmorphic disorder".... try googling it.
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    There's body dismorphia which sounds a little bit like what you're describing. Google it and see if it sounds familiar. Support is probably the best thing you can give her is support and keep telling her she looks great!
  • AnnaleisJ
    AnnaleisJ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have heard of something before too called body dysmorphia which I don't know much about but it might be worth looking up. Hope your friend is ok though :o)
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    body dismorphia.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    my question for you is she one of the two? do you see her eat? does she alway go right to the bathroom when she does eat? there are so many signs to watch for . People with an eating disorder always see thereself as fat and no matter how much weight they lose it will never be good enough.
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There are many subcategories of eating disorders. Do you ever see her eat? Is it in excess when she does? Many people that have eating disorders hide them very well for a long time. Also if you are about the same age it is very normal for females to have a low self esteem at this age especially when we are costantly inundated with super skinny role models. Constanly picking apart her body to you can also be a way for her to get compliments which she may think will make her feel better. Its really hard to tell for sure. If she shows signs like disappearing after you eat, eating excessive amounts of food, or exercising excessively (more that 2-3 hours a day), losing hair, or always getting sick or being tired, not having periods, never eating food around you, then you would have a reason to be worried and should try to encouage her to get some help. Maybe get her parents involved. It sounds like you are a great freind. I hope everything turns out alright.
  • spacecataz
    Options
    It's definitely Body Dysmorphic Disorder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder) which I have experience with. It only becomes an "eating disorder" if she controls her food consumption in order to "fix" what she thinks is "wrong". You can have BDD and not have an eating disorder, but it's still unhealthy. You should think about bringing this up to her and see if she agrees. Recognizing it is the first step in getting help. Good luck!
  • thelittlebluebox
    Options
    Either way, it sounds like your friend could benefit from professional counseling. It also wouldn't hurt to remind her how beautiful she is every once in a while. :)
  • Page83
    Page83 Posts: 23
    Options
    if its not affecting her eating then i wouldnt say its an eating disorder, more of a body dysmorphic disorder. i had an eating disorder as a teen and no matter what the cause it directly affects they way you think about and behave around food.

it could just be words too even though she says she hates the way she looks doesnt mean that she is going to do anything about it she might just be one of those people that wil never be happy with the way they look.