I need to VENT!!!

Options
Ok, so you know how exciting it is when co-workers notice your weight loss & begin making comments about it? Well quite frankly, I'm sick & tired of it. I am a nurse in a pediatric office & more than 1/2 of the people that I work with are over weight. I was by no means over weight but wanted to get into better shape for health reasons & because honestly, at 27 yrs old with no kids, I have no excuse. I'm 5'4" & started out around 140lbs. I gained weight with in the past yr (mostly because my boyfriend loves to cook for me lol) My normal weight range has always been between 125-130lbs. When I started out on this journey, my goal weight was 130lbs. Well, I'm 125 & I love it & I'm working really hard on maintaining. So here's my problem... Instead of people saying congrats on the weight loss, I get "why are you working so hard on staying thin? you didn't need to lose weight anyway"or "are you wasting away?" Seriously! I mean being in the healthcare field, you would think that they wouldn't be so ignorant. I'm actually uncomfortable eating lunch with some of these people because it seems like all eyes are on me because I have a healthy meal & they have fries, burgers etc... Trust me I am by no means starving myself. With the use of MFP, I am actually eating more food than before, it just happens to be healthier and if I want to snack, I snack (because I know I will put in the work at the gym). I feel like I'm being attacked because I did something to better myself. What's wrong with people nowadays?

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    you just keep doing what your doing!!!!! they are just jealous and you don't let them or their comments bother you any more. Congrats on the new lifestyle change and keep up the good work!!!!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    wish I had the answer for you,however I am in a similar situation. I am in school to be nursing assistant. Im not the smallest one in the class by any means,but a lot of the younger girls are overweight. I try and lose a couple pounds and get the whole spiel like you got. I just try and brush it off,the weight loss is for me and me alone. Perhaps it might inspire one of them to get healthy too.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    wish I had the answer for you,however I am in a similar situation. I am in school to be nursing assistant. Im not the smallest one in the class by any means,but a lot of the younger girls are overweight. I try and lose a couple pounds and get the whole spiel like you got. I just try and brush it off,the weight loss is for me and me alone. Perhaps it might inspire one of them to get healthy too.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear that hon, but i say ignore the comments etc and show them the good example by continuing ur healthier lifestyle :) maybe they will start taking a leaf out of ur book ;)

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • kajunsarah
    Options
    Pedinurse, I know what you mean about coworkers. Last Friday the office had pizza. I opted not to have pizza and just eat my salad and sandwich. One of my coworkers said " OH ! yeah that's right your trying to do that thing." I answered her by saying "yes but the thing is I'm not trying I am doing it and I feel great!". She just walked away and went get herself her plate full of pizza. I just smiled and mentally patted myself on the back. Just so you remember you are doing this journey for yourself not your coworkers.
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You said it right that ppl can be really rude and ignorant. But 1/2 the time they react out of jealousy. They desire to have what you have. So you keep on truckin with the healthy lifestyle and you will be the better for it. God bless us on our new lifesyle journey.
  • oxFaithxo
    oxFaithxo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    5'4 and 140lbs is a great look! i am 5'2 and 160lbs (and i dont think i am fat i just need to loss my baby weight).

BUT i always believe that you should never loss (or KEEP) weight for someone else, you should do for yourself.
    You sound like you lost the weight for all the right reasons and you lost it in all the right ways so SCREW THEM. It sounds like a fit of jealousy to me. You are probably the young cute one that is in shape and healthy.

I SAY KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND DONT WORRY ABOUT THEM, they are fat and miserable :laugh:
    you know what they say misery loves company
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    To be blunt, screw them. I think all it comes down to is that you are holding a mirror to their unhealthy lifestyles. It's funny you bring this up because I have always been so annoyed that workers in healthcare are fat at all not to mention obese. I feel like they should be the most health conscience people there are. Nothing annoys me more than seeing a fat Dr. It just make them seem unreliable to a degree. How can health be one's profession, yet you live an unhealthy life. I'm glad you brought this up.

I feel the same way too I might add and I just work a regular office job. People really take notice when you care what you are eating and although I'm not getting your kind of comments, I still get questioned about why I'm eating like I am. All I can say is hang in there and keep doing it for yourself. Eventually they will shut up and who knows, they may be soon asking for advice. Take care.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I really feel you on this! As you can see from my profile pic I started this journey overweight. I have heart disease, high blood pressure, and other health issues, so it's imperative that I lose the weight! I have made great strides so far, but still have a bit of fat around the middle to lose. I'm getting tired of hearing: "when are you going to stop", "you're so skinny"....frankly it's exhausting to be scrutinized in a negative light so much. I just smile and politely say, "I'm a work in progress, I'll let you know when I'm done!" Keep up the good work PediNurse, you look awesome!!!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    They're just jealous!!! I'm at 140 & want to lose another 10 - not because I *need* to but because I'm at the higher end of 'healthy'. It's a question of wellbeing and maintaining self-esteem. Do what's right for you. Above all - be healthy!!!!! :heart:

Sue :smile: x
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean....having been severely overweight myself, I would probably think the same thing about you, but that was then. NOW, I would evaluate everyone the way you are as I find myself doing every day. I look at the burger and fries and tell myself, they obviously, have not had the opportunity to change their relationship with food. They are totally mindless and clueless what they are doing to their body, their health, and their future by eating that stuff.

You have to look out for yourself, and trust me those people are in part jealous because you make it look easy. Maybe you can dig deep into your heart and try to reach out and help these people. Don't judge or make them feel bad for their choices, but instill in them the values you have learned about nutrition. be gentle. Maybe your message will come across to only one person, but at least your efforts worked.

You keep up the great work. Keep inspiring those around you, because even though it may not seem like it, you are inspiring them, they just don't know it yet - LOL
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Pedinurse, I know what you mean about coworkers. Last Friday the office had pizza. I opted not to have pizza and just eat my salad and sandwich. One of my coworkers said " OH ! yeah that's right your trying to do that thing." I answered her by saying "yes but the thing is I'm not trying I am doing it and I feel great!". She just walked away and went get herself her plate full of pizza. I just smiled and mentally patted myself on the back. Just so you remember you are doing this journey for yourself not your coworkers.

Wow...I am self-employed and work at home and don't have to deal with people.......is it really like this out there??? I know for me personally, having lost 82 pounds, the few people I do come across who knew me 82 pounds heavier, still have not said anything to me...........that hurts.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I get "why are you working so hard on staying thin? you didn't need to lose weight anyway"or "are you wasting away?"

Firstly I want to say I totally agree with you that the healthcare profession in some way have a responsibility in setting a good example and I totally congratulate you in what you're doing.

The response you're getting I believe is people's "self-defence" about their own thoughts on their own need to lose weight. If you think that at 5'4" and 140lb you needed to get a bit fitter, some people feel like that's pointing a finger at them saying "and at 180lb you sure as hell should too!!!"

But remember that's their problem. Don't let their issues interfere with your own health & fitness. It's hard when you get snide remarks. I get it in my office too from people that are 3x my size and who like to insinuate that if you exercise more than 3x a week you have "problems" etc. It takes time but you learn to ignore it and think your piece.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    To be blunt, screw them.

:laugh:

Good point well made.
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I almost wish I worked where you do!!
    I'm an English student midwife, and most of the girls on my course (49 altogether) are slim/skinny. There are about 5 of us overweight, if not obese, and we have lectures on nutrition etc.
    I am as far as I'm aware th eonly one trying to lose weight, but it feels awful, they go on about how can you tell women to eat healthy in pregnancy when you aren't yourself.
    Thats one of the reasons I'm losing weight. At least if everyone else was big I could take the high ground for odoing something about it rather than feeling crap I got big in the first place, when I've been big since a child!!

ANYWAY
    sorry for the rant.
    Congratulations on your weight loss, and I'm pleased you're maintaining, but really, don't let them get to you, you know in yourself what you've done is right and healthy xxx
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you mean....having been severely overweight myself, I would probably think the same thing about you, but that was then. NOW, I would evaluate everyone the way you are as I find myself doing every day. I look at the burger and fries and tell myself, they obviously, have not had the opportunity to change their relationship with food. They are totally mindless and clueless what they are doing to their body, their health, and their future by eating that stuff.

You have to look out for yourself, and trust me those people are in part jealous because you make it look easy. Maybe you can dig deep into your heart and try to reach out and help these people. Don't judge or make them feel bad for their choices, but instill in them the values you have learned about nutrition. be gentle. Maybe your message will come across to only one person, but at least your efforts worked.

You keep up the great work. Keep inspiring those around you, because even though it may not seem like it, you are inspiring them, they just don't know it yet - LOL

I will say, one of our receptionist's has joined me & goes to the gym 2x a wk @ 5am with me. I guess it just becomes hurtful after a while. But, I'm keeping my head up. Hopefully I can inspire some of my other coworkers.
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You guy's are all awesome! Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I guess in part, I want people to realize that just because someone isn't over weight or obese doesn't mean that they shouldn't work out & eat healthy. I happen to have a family history of heart disease. My cholesterol is/was high (mostly hereditary) but I sure am going to do my part in helping to bring it down so that I can get off of the 40mg of zocor that I'm currently taking. :heart: