is my walk to work a real calorie burner?

Options
Okay...this may seem like I'm getting overly complicated...but...

I usually get up in the morning for a walk/run and log those exercise minutes religiously. But, then an hour after breakfast I usually walk to work. This walk is about 12 minutes one way and is quite hilly. Then in the evening I walk home another 12 minutes. I generally walk quickly and do find myself with an increased heart rate. Should I be logging these 24 minutes of walking in addition to my exercise routine? I mean, when I go for a run/walk it is pretty consistent...I know how fast I am going because I use music to time my steps, but the walk to work is not as consistent. I sometimes stop to smell a flower or pet a cat...and with all the stopping and starting I thought that the calories burned would be negligible.

At the end of the day can log 70 minutes of real exercise and then an addition 20-40 minutes of just walking at a leisurely pace to get around as well...but does that count if I do it in 10 minute chunks? They say that you need to exercise for 20 minutes straight in order to get the benefit, so what good is a short little 10 minute walk then if it happens at three separate times a day.

-D

Replies

• delpha2
    Options
    Okay...this may seem like I'm getting overly complicated...but...

I usually get up in the morning for a walk/run and log those exercise minutes religiously. But, then an hour after breakfast I usually walk to work. This walk is about 12 minutes one way and is quite hilly. Then in the evening I walk home another 12 minutes. I generally walk quickly and do find myself with an increased heart rate. Should I be logging these 24 minutes of walking in addition to my exercise routine? I mean, when I go for a run/walk it is pretty consistent...I know how fast I am going because I use music to time my steps, but the walk to work is not as consistent. I sometimes stop to smell a flower or pet a cat...and with all the stopping and starting I thought that the calories burned would be negligible.

At the end of the day can log 70 minutes of real exercise and then an addition 20-40 minutes of just walking at a leisurely pace to get around as well...but does that count if I do it in 10 minute chunks? They say that you need to exercise for 20 minutes straight in order to get the benefit, so what good is a short little 10 minute walk then if it happens at three separate times a day.

-D
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I get your question - and it depends on how you classify "walking to work." Personally, for me I do not log exercise calories for anything BUT my scheduled work outs. So, if I spend 3 hours pulling weeds on the weekend - I don't log that, and anything I normally do throughout the day (carrying laundry up 2 flights of stairs, cleaning, etc.) I don't log either. So, if it were me, I would not log walking to work - since it is a relatively short walk and is something you would do everyday.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I see you joined in April 2008. If this is a walk you've been doing since you started, I wouldn't log it. Unless you are practically running to work, you won't burn enough calories to matter, in my humble opinion, which is usually worth bumpkiss:laugh: .
  • WFTomba
    Options
    For the best health benefits, you're supposed to excercise in 20+ minute chunks, but walking any distance burns calories because it takes energy. I think you should log that extra walking.

Edited to add: It's not going to be a whole lot of calories -- I would guess maybe 150 per day.
  • delpha2
    Options
    Okay...well today I got an extra walk in and it was 23 minutes from one side of town to the next to meet a friend...that was not part of the normal walk to work I usually do.

I guess the thing to do is just log the ones that are extra and over 20 minutes in length...whaddayall think?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I count any walk that is over 10 minutes - I count it at a leisurely pace (3.0 mph) though I walk faster. I've always heard the 10 minute rule from various exercise sites.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you are someone who counts the red pepper you snacked on (at 10 calories) then I would log it! I personally don't log the little tiny bits, but if you want to be precise, do it!

However, you may have already accounted for those calories when you selected what level of lifestyle you have (sedentary, active, etc).
    :flowerforyou:
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Okay...well today I got an extra walk in and it was 23 minutes from one side of town to the next to meet a friend...that was not part of the normal walk to work I usually do.

I guess the thing to do is just log the ones that are extra and over 20 minutes in length...whaddayall think?
    I had this dilemma at first. I am a stay at home mom, and spend a lot of my day in the house with my son. I would say if you have your activity level set at lightly active or higher, that would account for short walks about town for ten to 15 mins. I have my activity level set at sedentary, which means even a ten minute walk is above sedentary level so I add in and account for even a ten minute leisurely walk. I also account in anything else that elevates my heart rate. I add in once a week when i am on my hands and knees scrubbibng my floor I add that in as light house cleaning. So my answer is a lightly active person probably takes short leisurely walks so that would already be accounted for in your calories, but a sedentary person who sits most of the day would add in those calories. Hope that helps.