Treadmill vs. Stationary bike

Options
When I first started MFP I was only doing 30 day shred and now that I am used to physical activity I bought a stepper and have been using that too. Now I'm ready to step up my game lol I am a little strapped for cash so if I get a treadmill it wouldnt be some uber fancy one, stationary bikes are a little cheaper.

BUT..will they both give me the same type of cardio exercise? Is one way better than the other? Opinions please

Replies

• donas64
    donas64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    2 years ago, I bought the base model nordictrac treadmill from sears. I also got the 2 year warranty because I planned to beat it into the ground and I've called on that warranty several times because I was 325 lbs when I started using it. As long as you're commited to use the treadmill and not let it gather dust (because they do take up a fair amount of space),

I'd so go for the treadmill. I've found it to be far better than a stationary bike for me. I just set it to a high incline and a moderate speed and off I go. Plus, the second time I broke it, I felt confident enough to transition to running outside after having run for so long on the treadmill.
    Now I switch between going outside and using the treadmill. I think the treadmill I bought cost about $270 and it's still strong (albeit on it's second motor) 2 years later.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I would say treadmill as well, mainly due to the fact that with a bike you sit - which is not gonna help the butt. Walking/running works many more muscles than cycling (unless you cycle on a real bike outside, that is).

Hope you find something good! I have a cheap treadmill (a Weslo Cadence), it was about $100 and it works great - have had it 5 years.
  • AEB_WV
    AEB_WV Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill & had to switch to bike b/c of foot problems. But I do think treadmill is a better overall workout.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you plan to use the treadmill, it has to be a nice one. Cheap treadmills cause injuries and will only frustrate you. A gym membership will be payed for for years before making up the cost and maintenance of a treadmill worth running on.
    You have to get a Precor, Life fitness or similar high end home or basic commercial to make it worth it.
    A treadmill is a far better workout then the bike but only on a nice one. A good treadmill will cost no less then about $3,000. Most gym memberships run about 25 to 35 a month, so you can see that is far more economical.
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can only comment on the stationary bike since that's what I have at home, but I absolutely love it! I have slightly dodgy knee joints, so I love the fact that cycling does not put as much strain on them as running would. I find that at a vigorous pace (about 26 km/h or 16 mph) I can burn over 700kcal in 60mins, helped by distractions such as pumping music or watching tv :smile:

I'd also be interested in the opinions of people who have used both treadmills and stationary bikes on a regular basis and can offer an informed comparison!
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't own a treadmill but I do a considerable amount of walking as the main source of my exercise. My back up exercise for cold and or inclement weather is my stationary bike. I can tell you that per the MFP exercise database, I burn more calories on the stationary bike than I do with an equal amount of time spent walking. For example: 30 minutes on the bike I burn 230 calories. 30 minutes of walking I burn 164 calories. So it seems you can burn more calories in less time on the bike, that is if you plan on using the treadmill for walking.
  • shastar
    shastar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ask your primary care physician. Mine said stationary bike. I asked other doctors I just happened to be seeing and they all said stationary bike. I do not have any injuries. The reason is because stationary bike is not as hard on your joints as a treadmill. As the same question to the doctor but ask if their answer would be the same as you get older. Three of my friends asked their doctor the same question and all of them were told the stationary bike because it is not as hard on your joints. I kept hearing the same thing over and over so I bought a Pro Form XP and I can life weights, do strengthing bands or read while I use it.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've done a little research on the topic and it looks like a treadmill would be a better workout. Problem is most of the cheap treadmills cannot hold up to a runners pace. They're mostly made for walking or slow jogging. Sole is a good brand for runners but usually over the $1000 mark.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Also if you're worried about the impact on your joints then get an elliptical. It burns twice the calories of a stationery bike in less time. But if you get one invest a little money in it and don't get the Walmart brand. That's what I have and I hate it! I've tried out some more expensive ellipticals in the store and they are so much better.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on the stationary bike than I do with an equal amount of time spent walking. For example: 30 minutes on the bike I burn 230 calories. 30 minutes of walking I burn 164 calories. So it seems you can burn more calories in less time on the bike, that is if you plan on using the treadmill for walking.

This is incredibly variable. I only walk on my treadmill (set on an incline) and I can burn 300 calories in 30 minutes (3.5 mph on an incline). The faster I walk, the better the burn. It depends on the intensity of your workout and your weight.

It's definitely a personal preference though. If you can, try them both out first, and see which one you can see yourself committing to long term. There are places that will rent you equipment for a couple of months. This has an advantage of you actually coming face to face with the machine in your home on a daily basis, giving you a chance to find out whether it will become your favourite piece of fitness equipment or your favourite coatrack!
  • Xelisharose
    Options
    I burn more calories on the stationary bike than I do with an equal amount of time spent walking. For example: 30 minutes on the bike I burn 230 calories. 30 minutes of walking I burn 164 calories. So it seems you can burn more calories in less time on the bike, that is if you plan on using the treadmill for walking.

This is incredibly variable. I only walk on my treadmill (set on an incline) and I can burn 300 calories in 30 minutes (3.5 mph on an incline). The faster I walk, the better the burn. It depends on the intensity of your workout and your weight.

It's definitely a personal preference though. If you can, try them both out first, and see which one you can see yourself committing to long term. There are places that will rent you equipment for a couple of months. This has an advantage of you actually coming face to face with the machine in your home on a daily basis, giving you a chance to find out whether it will become your favourite piece of fitness equipment or your favourite coatrack!

really? What places will rent?
  • nquirico
    nquirico Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    as someone who is inclined to impulsively buy anything that I think will make me lose weight (notice i didn't say 'that i think will HELP me to lose weight), I have all of the above equipment. I have never found the bike to be particularly helpful because I am always willing to take the easy way out and it is too easy for me to sit on the bike and keep it on the lowest setting- once I have to push, i give up. The treadmill at least forces me to work up a bit of a sweat and get my heartrate up. I am NOT a runner but I do jog on the treadmill and I have found that even the cheaper (Gold's Gym, etc... around $350) hold up pretty well with 2-3 mile jogs several times per week. The greatest bang for my buck, though, has been the bowflex treadclimber- the cheapest model (which is still really expensive), but for lazy people like me even a short 30 minute workout on it has me feeling the burn. If you are like me and you quickly give up on something that doesn't hold your interest, consider joining a gym for just one month. go frequently during that month and try out the different machines. After 4 weeks, the equipment that you find yourself gravitating toward at the gym will likely be the one you use at home.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure of specific places for you to look. But the first treadmill I bought when I was in the States, I sold back to a mom and pop fitness shop. They had lots of used equipment for purchase or for rental. You'll probably need to go to a specialized fitness shop rather than a place like Wal*Mart. You'll likely get better service and practical advice, and they'll be more likely to work a rental deal with you. Try googling if you don't have some place local, because you'll probably find some place online that will actually deliver and pick up the equipment as well.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've got a Reebok iRun+, which retail's for approx. £500 (approx. $700 - $750) in the UK. It's an entry-level treadmill, with only one manual incline setting... but I love it!

I started out power-walking on the incline, and since I was wearing my HRM - I know I was burning similar calories as if I was on a crosstrainer. But nowhere near as if I was on a bike...!

If you stick to power walking, I can't see how your joints would be affected. In fact, I think walking on a treadmill is actually better than walking outside - because the impact is slightly cushioned.

So, I say go for the treadmill....
  • dzilobommo
    dzilobommo Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Some really interesting pieces of advice here! Think I'll still stick to my bike because of the joint thing, but I've certainly learnt more about treadmills and walking in general!!

In terms of burn, of course everything depends on how long, how fast you do it, how heavy you are etc...For me, the first 5 mins on the bike are hard, then the next 10-15 are okay but still an effort, and from 20 mins onwards I really get going and can happily carry on for ages at a fast pace - I'd like to think this is when I'm 'in the zone' burning most of the fat! Just bought a HRM so that'll help me experiment with that... :wink:

Two more things I like about the bike - it's relatively quiet so my other half can still watch TV while I'm pedalling away, and it fits nicely in the corner next to our sofa :smile:

Good luck with whichever equipment you choose - I hope you find it a motivating presence in your house! :happy:
  • lovenhatelife
    lovenhatelife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, an elliptical and I can use my own bike as a stationary bike.

I did use my treadmill and my parents stationary bike both right after each other. Both equipment gave me a different form of work out. The treadmill was an overall body work out. I felt it in my arms, my abs and my legs. The stationary bike, I felt it in my abs and my thighs. For me I get bored on treadmills, I need to watch TV to keep my mind off it. The bike I can just pedal, but it's still better if I watch tv.

Now I rather be outside riding my bike or walking/hiking.
  • KristenFigueroa89
    KristenFigueroa89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say stationary bike. They both give you great cardio, but the bike is easier on your back and knees, and it actually helps strengthen tendons. Walking/running is 3x your weight on your feet and knees! It is definitely worth the bike, plus its cheaper, and a nice tight butt and thighs don't hurt either!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    An elliptical gives me a better workout than the bike or treadmill.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I use a treadmill, an elliptical and a stationary bike daily... all three of them. I can't use my stationary (recumbent) bike for longer than 40 minutes. My butt HURTS after the first 20-25 minutes. And I can't stay on the treadmill for too long either, because I've got a bad knee. Elliptical, though, I can do it for 60+ minutes :)

One upside with the stationary bike is that it doesn't shake the floor like ellipticals and treadmills do. The floors in my house are very creaky, so this was an important factor when we were considering purchase of a cardio machine.

As far as exercise quality (in terms of how hard you work out) goes... It depends on how hard/ fast you do it, and for how long. It is totally possible to burn the same amount of calories on any of the three.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I also had a Weslo Cadence, now I have the Nordic Track its a much better "mill". I hurt my back a few yrs ago, so I am off and on the treadmill. I was thinking about buying an eliptical as well, any1 know of a good burning eliptical?