tips for a frustrated vegetarian

Options
hi,
I'm very down in the dumps after two weeks of no loss on the scale and infact seeing my weight bob up a pound or so over those few weeks. I've been here since January & have lost 13lbs so far which I know is great etc but I'm getting frustrated with it having completely slowed down/stopped.
I've never measure myself so I can't see if I'm losing in that way instead.

I'm 99% of the time uinder my cals and always under on sodium, sugar and carbs, the only thing that occasionally goes over is fat (my diary is public so anyone can look if you want to).

I don't follow any "eating plan" for want of a better word and wondered if this is what is making me not lose any weight?

I work out 5/6 times a week doing 30 day shred, walking and wii fit. I can't seem to fit any more exercise in.

I'm just feeling very rubbish as this is the most I've ever exercised and the most controlled I've been with my calories yet I'm losing less weight than I usually do (I don't normally crash diet or anything, I used to attend rosmary conolly diet & exercise groups but can't afford to go any more!)

If anyone has any advice for what I can do to improve it would be gratefully recieved.

Replies

• Mission4Life
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy but are you sure you are eating enough? Try bumping you calories and see what happens. Just a thought.:smile:
  • hannahncakes
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy but are you sure you are eating enough? Try bumping you calories and see what happens. Just a thought.:smile:

See I thought that so I bumped them up from 1200 to 1420 but if anything weight loss is even slower now,
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    again bump up the cals..and try changing the exersice around every 3 weeks..
  • batmanfamily
    Options
    It might be that you aren't getting enough calories so your metabolism is slowing down which is reducing your weight loss. Everyone is a little different but for most if you comsume less than you need, your body goes into what some call 'survival mode'. It hangs on to the calories you eat because it is unsure of when it will be given some more. Maybe eating more often (smaller portions spread across 4 or 5 meals) may help.

Other than that, if you can not fit in anymore time to exercise, you may need to increase your intensity. Interval training may help at this point.

Hope this helps....
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's normal to plateau for a couple weeks your body is resetting itself keep going you will break through. Every 6 weeks I do a 24 hour fast and this helps break a plateau if u don't want to wait. I do a detox and find my workouts improve. I'm a vegetarian too. When I increased my fruit intake I also found improvement.
  • Hananiah
    Hananiah Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently a vegetarian, but was about 10 years ago. One thing I would suggest is to try to eat some raw veggies on a daily basis. They are better for you and don't have that many calories. Add a side salad to a meal and/or eat some raw carrots or something as a snack. One of the ways to get the food moving through your body and out is to eat more raw veggies/fruits.

TTFN,
    Ryan Johnson
  • codegrl
    codegrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any sort of pure cardio? (running, bicycling, elliptical, etc)? Are you doing weight training? I found that when I when backed off on the hardcore exercising, and kept my pure cardio going, I FINALLY came off of an 18-month plateau. Also, keep in mind that as you get closer to your goal weight, the weight comes off MUCH slower. The last 10-20lbs are BRUTAL because that's really *all* you have to lose, and your body isn't going to want to let it go without a fight. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick-fix :) You'll get there. Good Luck!
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just learned that starvation mode is a myth.
  • Dutchgirly
    Dutchgirly Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you bump up your calories with pre-portioned veggies or fruits your body won't go into starvation mode and store your fat.