Can anyone explain calorie cycling?

Options
Someone mentioned it this afternoon and although I've googled it, google is not being my friend right now. Does anyone know what it entails and why it works? (IF it works!!)

Replies

• chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but it came up a week ago and here's a link about it:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hugo19.htm

I need to read more about it before it makes sense to me. Hope this helps a little.
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    It's when you vary your calorie intake every so often. Lets say you only eat 1200 net calories a day but your body requires 1500, this puts you in a deficit which is what is required to lose fat. But over time, your metabolism will "adjust" itself to the new 1200 cal level, which is when your weight loss with stall or "plateau" as some call it.

But, lets say every 3-4 days you eat your maintenance calories of 1500 instead of the 1200, then the metabolism gets "confused" and will not likely drop its requirements. It keeps your metabolism guessing and should avoid plateaus. That's why whenever I hear someone say they haven't loss weight in 2-3 weeks, I'll suggest eating maintenance or even a little higher than maintenance calories for a few days to get the metabolism fired up again.

There's also other things are work, like it refuels certain hormones that help with curbing appetite, etc. But that's the jist of it.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I can try. I do it.

Take your suggested calories per day, multiply by 7 (days)

Stagger your calories per day, in other words, have high and low days. As long as they equal the weekly amount, you're good to go.

The idea is to mix up your metabolism so it doesn't expect the same amount of calories everyday and stall.

Here's a calculator you can try http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#
  • jcat83
    jcat83 Posts: 10
    Options
  • LauraMcGanity
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone!!! I knew you wouldn't let me down.:flowerforyou:
  • superjarrod1616
    superjarrod1616 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's when you vary your calorie intake every so often. Lets say you only eat 1200 net calories a day but your body requires 1500, this puts you in a deficit which is what is required to lose fat. But over time, your metabolism will "adjust" itself to the new 1200 cal level, which is when your weight loss with stall or "plateau" as some call it.

But, lets say every 3-4 days you eat your maintenance calories of 1500 instead of the 1200, then the metabolism gets "confused" and will not likely drop its requirements. It keeps your metabolism guessing and should avoid plateaus. That's why whenever I hear someone say they haven't loss weight in 2-3 weeks, I'll suggest eating maintenance or even a little higher than maintenance calories for a few days to get the metabolism fired up again.

There's also other things are work, like it refuels certain hormones that help with curbing appetite, etc. But that's the jist of it.

Totally Right! Good Explanation
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That totally makes sense!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    All I could find online was that is it often used by body bullders (eeek) so that kind of put me off!!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    It is used by bodybuilders but you don't have to be one to reap the benefits. I do it using the spike diet. I eat at a consistent level for six days and then 'spike' one day over maintenance. Works wonders and helps me to avoid plateuing.
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think my 'spike day' might just be today..... Had a very lazy weekend (it's soooo hot and humid here and curves wasn't open when I was available...) - better luck tomorrow!
  • khloes_mama
    Options
    :smile: This def makes sense! I think I will try it.