'Clean' Diet

Options
What exactly does following a 'clean' diet mean to you?

I want to who is currently eating cleaner as a way to help them lose weight and achieve their goals? I am sure that different people have different opinion/views on what is considered as clean eating so I would like to share what I know about it.

I will start out with saying that I focus more on making an effort to eat a certain amount of servings from different food groups than I do counting calories. I also emphasize on the serving sizes because they determine what is actually a 'serving' of the different foods I consume. So, here is what I eat:

4 servings of protein: I eat a lot of chicken (4 oz) and tuna (5oz can). I also eat salmon and steak (each 4 oz). Yogurt and cottage cheese (1/2 cup each). Disclaimer: Greek yogurt is best for you (plain with some fresh berries on top) but I cannot eat it anymore because of the taste so I switched to Low-fat vanilla yogurt. I also consume one scoop of whey protein each day.

3 servings of veggies: For me, this included raw spinach and broccoli (1 cup each per serving). I haven't really delved into eating other veggies as of now.

2 servings of fruits: I like to eat grapefruit (half) any type of fresh berry (1 cup), bananas, apples, and pears. I need to expand my fruits!

2 servings of grains: I usually eat whole grain bread (one slice), brown rice (one cup), and oatmeal (one cup).

1 serving of fat: I tend to use olive oil, almonds, or avocados.

Foods I still eat but in moderation: salad dressing, mayo (I cannot eat dry tuna!), dairy products.

I have only started eating like this for eight days now and I would like to eventually expand on the different foods I'm missing out on right now, but for now it's working. I also make sure that anytime I eat carbs I am pairing it with a protein so my body can slow down the digestion of the carbs. Another major thing I try to avoid (or eat a lot less of) is sugar because I am relatively certain I am or was addicted to it. I have felt the affects of not eating as much of it like almost withdrawals, but I'm slowly getting over it. I also drink a lot of water and make sure to drink a cup of green tea every night.

I just wanted to share my plan with you guys and see if anyone else is following a similar one. I would love to hear any suggestions anyone might have about this and if anyone has had great success with it or no success at all.

Replies

• fayefaye71
    Options
    IF I ATE HALF THAT GOOD & KEPT UP WITH IT THAT GOOD I WOULD ALREADY BE AT MY WEIGHT GOAL. GOOD JOB
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have eaten my version of "clean" for about seven years. To me, it means no artificial flavors, chemicals, preservatives, etc. Starches in my regular diet include whole grain breads (homemade), oatmeal, brown rice, any vegetable (potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc), and beans/legumes. I eat a lot of different vegetables, I love them all. I eat just about any type of meat but try to keep it lean. I will eat bacon, hot dogs, and the like but I buy the all natural type from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (no nitrates or preservatives). I don't drink soda or juice that much, maybe once in a while.

Snacks include fruits and yogurt (plain Greek that I sweeten with a little fruit jam). If I want something like fries, a baked treat or snack, I will make it myself. I know the ingredients and control quality. The way I eat takes a big commitment to cooking and it isn't for everyone but it works for me!

Edited to add: I am overweight after eating this way for years. My problem is portion control. Just because you are eating healthy doesn't mean that you can eat huge portions! Also, I don't worry about ingredients when I eat out (maybe twice/month) or at other peoples homes.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt - - - add 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and 2 tbsp no calorie sweetener. mix together adding water to make the consistence of pudding. it's really good.

I can't eat the Greek yogurt without the no calorie sweetener because i too do not like the taste. you can also us agave nectar as a source of sweetening.
  • ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    shortstop1971 & melsinct:

thanks for responding! i should try using jam to sweeten up the Greek yogurt. I also agree that eating 'clean' does mean not consuming artificial flavors, chemicals, and preservatives! I am so glad that I am trying to change my eating habits and I really think I have set myself up for success. I don't feel like I am starving myself and I always feel satisfied because I am spreading my meals throughout the day.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm not totally clean but I've cleaned up a lot of what I eat. I've removed all can goods & all processed meats from my menu. I eat tuna, chicken breast, lean ground turkey and lean beef 98% of the time. I've lowered my sodium intake also to 1500.

The next thing I will be checking into is buying my meats from a butcher versus the grocery store. If its not that much more expensive then I will give it a go. I have a family of 5 so it has to be cost efficient for us.

Oh...no sodas....water and on occasion a glass of juice.
  • ljbrauer
    Options
    thanks for the sweetening suggestion for greek yogurt, Vicky14174! I will need to try that out! :]
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is a great way to reduce your sodium intake. I am never over on my sodium since I make the food myself and any salt I eat is what I add to food, not a manufacturer (besides sodium in cheese and veg). Now it pains me to eat a frozen meal or at chain restaurants (Chili's is the worst) because everything tastes sooooo salty to me.
  • ljbrauer
    Options
    Diserai,

I had completely forgotten about ground turkey! I love that stuff and will buying it next time I go to the grocery store. The only thing I am currently purchasing and eating which I forgot to mention in my break down are reduced sodium pinto beans. I eat them plain heated up as a quick snack. They are super filling and a good source of protein and fiber!