What have you learned through your MFP journey

Options
I just wanted to know what people have learned or discovered about themselves, or food, or exercise since starting there journey....Me, personally...Ive learned so many different things, and Im sure that Im going to continue to learn but a couple of things that I want to shar is:

#1 Ive learned: All food is not created equal...just because Ive eaten the right number of calories does not mean that Ive given my body the right nutrients and this can still plataue my weight loss progress.

#2 Ive learned: That I am my worst critic, I beat myself up about the new flaws I can see since weight loss rather than celebrating the success of actually losing weight.

# 3 Ive learned: That I have control over my choices even when I "feel" out of control! and "just one more bite" mentality does matter!

Replies

• curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I've learned that there is no easy way to do this but the hard way is often the most rewarding.
  • ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    i've learned that i actually like to eat raw spinach! hah!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I've learned that diets don't work. The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to change the way you think about and eat food.
  • stevo1078
    stevo1078 Posts: 26
    Options
    raw spinach is the bomb :D

I've learned that i actually enjoy jumping on a treadmill with a pear of earphones in and just blocking the entire world out so it's just me, music and sweat =)

Edit: just gonna acknowledge my awesome mispell of the word pair =) i made it a fruit
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    raw spinach is the bomb :D

I've learned that i actually enjoy jumping on a treadmill with a pear of earphones in and just blocking the entire world out so it's just me, music and sweat =)
    Yes I love doing this also!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    How much I used to over eat.
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    Now that's the truth!!!
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I learned that I stress too much about not eating too much and I am not eating enough.

I learned that water isn't as bad and it seems sometimes.

I learned that the more I take care of my body, the better I feel.
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    I learned that I stress too much about not eating too much and I am not eating enough.

I learned that water isn't as bad and it seems sometimes.

I learned that the more I take care of my body, the better I feel.
    I can think more clearly now also....
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I have learned that I am not in this journey alone.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I have learned that guesstimating portion sizes is a bad idea! I always ate fairly healthy but it took MFP to make me realize that my portion sizes were WAY too big. Now I weigh and measure and am eating probably 50% less than what I used to.
  • DivaDLB
    DivaDLB Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I am not in this journey alone.

I have learned that as well. And it feels good knowing you can get support when you need it the most.
  • eystelle
    eystelle Posts: 31
    Options
    I leaned that I am not the only one that will put a cookie in my mouth then think about the amount of calories in it then spit it out!
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I have learned that you are always learning. When people say "it's a lifestyle", it couldn't be more true.

I've learned that even when you are maintaining, you need to be mindful of what you give your body.

I've learned that being successful at losing does not mean your triggers disappear, and you need to continue to face them head on.

I've learned that loving what I see in the mirror is a bigger reward than I could have ever imagined.
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've learned that drinking 8 cups of water a day is really important. It surprises me how little water i used to drink compared to now.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I leaned that I am not the only one that will put a cookie in my mouth then think about the amount of calories in it then spit it out!

AMEN!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Now that's the truth!!!

Ditto and what I thought I was doing for exercise was really not exercise...now I sweat while I exercise :drinker:
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have learned that guesstimating portion sizes is a bad idea! I always ate fairly healthy but it took MFP to make me realize that my portion sizes were WAY too big. Now I weigh and measure and am eating probably 50% less than what I used to.

Amen - my sentiments exactly!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    So far, the biggest thing I've learned is that I need structure! The food diary keeps me on track because I am a visual person and I can see exactly how much I need. Otherwise, I just eat when I'm bored.