Why is it so hard for me to eat right on Weekends...

Options
jayshann
jayshann Posts: 39 Member
O.K. Guys,
All week I can do great when it come to eating healthy. Why is it on the weekend I have such a hard time making good choices? It seems all I want to eat is junk...

Replies

• kaits108
    kaits108 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I definitely have the same issue, because it's so easy for me at work, when all I pack myself is healthy snacks, and preportioned lunches. Then weekends come and I've got access to the pantry & fridge all the time and it requires more self control LOL! I literally just try to not even bring junk into my house, and log everything I eat. That way at least I'm being honest with myself (although TOTALLY didn't follow my own advice this weekend...that's another story), and I do let myself splurge more on weekends, but I also make up for it with more exercise. Maybe try to find a balance, where you can splurge, but increase your exercise?

I really think the key is to be honest with yourself, and ask yourself before you eat something, do you really want to spend your calories on that?
  • Darlis
    Darlis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My problem with weekends is much the same...it's AVAILABLE! However I have learned that if we plan to go out to dinner, many of the restaurants have there nutritional info online. I went to Olive Garden last night, but I but everything I planned to eat in the food diary the night before....then used what calories I had available for breakfast, lunch and snacks. Just as a side note...the Venetian Apricot Chicken ROCKS!
  • Startingover71
    Options
    I totally understand about the weekend issue, it is the same for me.
    I agree with kaits108, weekdays are easy for me, as I pack my lunch, snacks and only eat what I have brought, it is routine for me. Plus at work you are busy all day so you are not focused on food as much as the weekend when you are home and have more free time on your hands or mind! Maybe save a day on the weekend which is a free day that you can enjoy a little extra or a treat, that is what I do. That is not for everyone though, everyone has their own way that works for them. Good luck! :smile:
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I think it is force of habit. Weekend has been "party time" as long as I can remember. I find I stay in control of my food better if I first stay on top of the alcohol. You'd think that would go without saying, but I have to constantly remind myself of that.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    I DEFINETLY HAVE THE SAME ISSUE...so far it has really impaired my weight loss, probablly just slows it down a bit....But, compared to how i use to eat, im still better off.
  • lal73
    lal73 Posts: 116
    Options
    My problem with weekends is much the same...it's AVAILABLE! However I have learned that if we plan to go out to dinner, many of the restaurants have there nutritional info online. I went to Olive Garden last night, but I but everything I planned to eat in the food diary the night before....then used what calories I had available for breakfast, lunch and snacks. Just as a side note...the Venetian Apricot Chicken ROCKS!

None of the places i go have nutritional information, makes it soo hard to figure out what im eating when i go out.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    if you do good on monday thru friday, then the weekends should be fun! you can eat anything, just use portion control. Taste everything but dont finish everything. take a bite here and there. When i started MFP, the biggest problem wasnt chaning my foods, it was learning portion control. good luck!
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's my family.....and all the things that we do during the weekend....we are out doing....so of course we stop for lunch....and then dinner out with friends......then hubby still wants to do our weekend breakfast together.......furniture shopping turns into a lunch date with hubby.........

And this morning when I crawled onto the scales...it's said I was up a1.5 pounds.....

:(
  • jkq2003
    jkq2003 Posts: 27
    Options
    Weekends are harder because we have more access to the unhealthy foods especially if we have a family who eats all of those things. I do allow myself a sort of cheat day at least once a week which typically is a weekend day since those are harder than the rest. I remind myself on the weekends that I have to stay on track. One thing that helps me is if I want something really bad I will drink a full 8 ounces of water and wait 30 minutes if I still want it then I will eat 1/4 or 1/2 of the food and typically this will fill my craving. I have found that many times, after drinking the water and waiting the additional 30 minutes that I did not still want the unhealthy food choice.
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree! There's family members who aren't sharing your journey so they aren't eating consciously, you have access to not only your own food but time to go out to eat. We think of it as "treating" ourselves so we let it slide one or more times per weekend. I'm not sure what the "magic" answer is so if you guys find it, let me know! :)
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! It is so hard sometimes. I know with me, it was my fiance who was eating more junk food and it would smell so good. I finally told him that if I don't lose weight I won't be able to eat at our wedding because my dress is already too tight. So, if it is family eating badly around you, tell them the reasons why you are doing this and ask them for help. Tell them what you are cravng and maybe they can help you come up with ways to eat it with fewer calories.

Also, I read somewhere that when you have a craving, if you make a fist it helps fight the craving. I have tried it, and use it now. It really works. I make a fist about 3-5 times a day. And use "no" in your daily vocabulary. It has become one of my favorite words. I say "no" to so much bad food. And really say it out loud. It makes me feel better about myself when I say it and walk away from the temptation.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I think it is force of habit. Weekend has been "party time" as long as I can remember. I find I stay in control of my food better if I first stay on top of the alcohol. You'd think that would go without saying, but I have to constantly remind myself of that.

Yeah that is my downfall! I look at the weekends to unwind with hubby and have a few glasses of wine. Before I know it I've consumed too much food and drink. I've done well on the weekends up until after the holidays and now I am trying to re-focus and get back on track. I can do it I just have to get my mind right!!! :laugh:
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home Mom, so I have access to everything all the time. Weekends are hard for me when we go out with friends. No one I know is health-conscious (including my husband, in fact), so when we go places I just want to enjoy "good" food like everyone else and end up ordering something fried w/ fries, or a burger, or white sauce italian dishes - all the no-nos. :(

I keep thinking, "this time, I will be smart" and it never fails, I am never smart.

So good luck!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    O.K. Guys,
    All week I can do great when it come to eating healthy. Why is it on the weekend I have such a hard time making good choices? It seems all I want to eat is junk...
    I find that during the week I am am in a routine. On the weekends I let my guard down and my resolve does with it. I have found that I need to declare loudly, "I am NOT going to ruin my hard work with junky eating!" Plan what you are going to eat before the weekend comes. Be prepared. Call a friend and ask them to help you be accountable! You can do it!
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a grazer!!! SO what i learned to do and try to do especially on the weekend is load up with healthy grazing stuff: raw almonds, fruits, baby carrots. I figure if i dont have the bad stuff in my house i wont be tempted to eat it. Then when I go out i pack baby carrots, an apple or the almonds and loads of sugar free gum. It stops me from crashing and stopping to get fast food, chips or etc. Hope this helps. BTW, good job so far!!
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    Yeah Jay......I figured something into my eating habits that help me with that weekend eating deal. I do Eat Stop Eat (E.S.E.)or intermittent fasting (I.F.) once or twice during the week to help me with whatever the weekend throws at me.

I currently still have been fortunate to not get cornered by the pizza man or the multitude of desserts I love but, this is my fail safe.
    Either way, whether I don't eat right on the weekends or not, I'm still loosing weight.

Hope this helps..............
  • LiveLife73
    Options
    Same here Jay...it's just mind over matter... I eat small portions. it's just sometimes during the week i mostly eat the same things.. so when the weekend come and i wanna BBQ i make sure its lean meat.. U cant go wrong that way.. Just eat smaller portions of the foods that u rerally want and when its time to workout just urn it all off and then some....
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think it i something you have to constantly think about and keep busy/fight your way through. Last few weekends I have induldged too but it was slowing my progress so this weekend I did really well. Make a conscious effort to "make it through" then maybe allow another weekend or just a part of that weekend, such as a meal or two, to be a "cheat". Hope it helps. As you can see we all battle with that. It is just the accessibility and freedom we have on the weekend and maybe even a tendency to want to have "fun" . Add me friends!! :D
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! It is so hard sometimes. I know with me, it was my fiance who was eating more junk food and it would smell so good. I finally told him that if I don't lose weight I won't be able to eat at our wedding because my dress is already too tight. So, if it is family eating badly around you, tell them the reasons why you are doing this and ask them for help. Tell them what you are cravng and maybe they can help you come up with ways to eat it with fewer calories.

Also, I read somewhere that when you have a craving, if you make a fist it helps fight the craving. I have tried it, and use it now. It really works. I make a fist about 3-5 times a day. And use "no" in your daily vocabulary. It has become one of my favorite words. I say "no" to so much bad food. And really say it out loud. It makes me feel better about myself when I say it and walk away from the temptation.

AWESOME
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think it i something you have to constantly think about and keep busy/fight your way through. Last few weekends I have induldged too but it was slowing my progress so this weekend I did really well. Make a conscious effort to "make it through" then maybe allow another weekend or just a part of that weekend, such as a meal or two, to be a "cheat". Hope it helps. As you can see we all battle with that. It is just the accessibility and freedom we have on the weekend and maybe even a tendency to want to have "fun" . Add me friends!! :D

Nicely said. I think it's a habit for so many of us. I would have been so far in my weight loss if I wasn't blowing it on the weekend, and then spending the week days losing the additional pounds again. I am bringing myself back to the bold move of bringing my food to the restaurant (because we tend to eat out at least once on the weekend, and it only takes one time to disrupt your weight loss plan) so I can avoid temptation. I find that eating the healthiest stuff on the restaurant menu is loaded with sodium that's going to disrupt your diet causing you to gain weight from fluid retention.

Also, cleaning your cabinet and fridge of junk food is a good idea too.

When the time comes, you will become truly ready to gain control of the weekend eating.