I HATE to exercise!

Options
I HATE to exercise! I am "active" in the spring and summer (I love to work in the yard) but the winter months...not so much! I lost 80+ pounds over the last 2 years but its creeping back on so I had to take drastic measures! I bought a treadmill! (gasp)! I walk while watching my favorite weight loss shows for motivation, so far so good. I put it smack dab in the middle of the living room because If I put it in the bedroom it would be an expensive clothes hanger!

Replies

• blittle40
    blittle40 Posts: 31
    Options
    what a great place to put the treadmill...lol...I say whatever it takes!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    there's gotta be something else you enjoy. go outside the normal things, keep searching. eventually you'll find something you like that's active. It doesn't have to be run of the mill exercise, what about a dance class, or some kind of group activity, or maybe try out the local swimming pool...
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    there's gotta be something else you enjoy. go outside the normal things, keep searching. eventually you'll find something you like that's active. It doesn't have to be run of the mill exercise, what about a dance class, or some kind of group activity, or maybe try out the local swimming pool...

Agreefulness. If you hate your exercise...you're doin it wrong. It's not you it's the workout- find something that suits you!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    What about indoor pool stuff. Many high schools and community centers have them for very cheap and some gyms sell pool only memberships.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    OOPS repeat
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise too. I love swimming laps but that doesn't help me as my body needs. I started running, not fun but find that my brain has a unique way to distract me, even with my i pod, I count. I don't know why i do but it helps. I guess it's just about focusing on something else. I don't have a gym membership, so i run around the neighborhood, do sit up and push ups during commercials and do 30 day shred since it is only 20 minutes and i can't find a great excuse. Does it suck for me... hell yes... but continuing to gain weight sucks more. I keep praying that one day i'll wake up and be a work out addict but it hasn't happened yet.
  • thelittlebluebox
    Options
    Me too! That's why I'm going to try yoga. None of that running and sweating nonsense. ;)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise too. I love swimming laps but that doesn't help me as my body needs. I started running, not fun but find that my brain has a unique way to distract me, even with my i pod, I count. I don't know why i do but it helps. I guess it's just about focusing on something else. I don't have a gym membership, so i run around the neighborhood, do sit up and push ups during commercials and do 30 day shred since it is only 20 minutes and i can't find a great excuse. Does it suck for me... hell yes... but continuing to gain weight sucks more. I keep praying that one day i'll wake up and be a work out addict but it hasn't happened yet.

can you clarify? Why does running satisfy your body's needs but swimming doesn't. Swimming is great cardio (better than running IMHO) and less stress on your joints, and a better overall body workout than running as well.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It's really hard for me to get into the groove with exercise, but once I'm in it - look out! I agree you really need to find something you enjoy. I don't particularly enjoy walking on a treadmill at all. But I love a lot of activity Wii games, going on walks outside (hard for me since I've got a lot of kiddos who are pokey), tennis, basketball....

Can you check out a rec center or something and try branching out a little? There's so many fun activities to be had that are great exercise!
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was always very active growing up...went skiing/snowboarding during winter, played soccer and lacrosse (fall/spring respectively), ran around outside during summer...and then I injured my knee during a soccer tournament and that was that. I all of the sudden HATED working out, but LOVED the idea of working out. I have been working out a minimum of three days a week since November and I can promise you that would will learn to crave it as long as you :

a) mix it up

b) don't obsess over it

and

c) make mini goals for yourself (this was really key for me because I had a phobia of the treadmil. It was hard on my knees and being out of shape gave me two excuses for avoiding it. I decided one of my mini goals was to get on it and RUN...and I did)

Best of luck and stay determined!
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Look around! there's more to "real" exercise than running and swimming and being annoyed :P

I found an activity that I count as "touch football" every week or two - I beat people with padded weapons! that in turn has inspired me to get better, get faster, get stronger. I let that activity that I really TRULY love drive me to improve myself.
  • lovenk
    lovenk Posts: 19
    Options
    I would love swimming but I live in a remote area with no YMCA or local pool. I bought the treadmill for the "family" and suprisingly enough they have used it too! So far its good, I also saw the sun come out so I moved all my plants out for spring and have several yard projects in mind that include ALOT of stonework! Great workout!....... 6 says and counting!
  • tbullucks06
    tbullucks06 Posts: 128
    Options
    I hate it too but I LOVE to eat....so I have to. :sad:
  • lovenk
    Options
    LOL! I know EXACTLY how you feel!! :laugh:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% nutrition 20% physical fitness so you'll still succeed. Will your heart be in the best condition though? No, so go for some leisurely walks, even if its indoors window shopping until you start to feel the endorphin high and can’t get enough and finally increase the intensity.
  • lovenk
    Options
    Great advice! I love to shop and I need some endorphins!