Logging strength training.

Options
mamareese
mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
I purchased the HRM recommended by p90x and have always had trouble with it. So when I do cardio I'll either take the treadmills reading or estimate based on what MFP gives me. I always go for underestimating to be on the safe side.

However, I never log in my strength training. I spend 30 minutes or so on straight cardio. And then another 30 minutes on either the machines at the gym or using dumbbells with the exercises I've learned from p90x. But I don't log them as calories burned.

Should I be? Or am I doing okay with only adding exercise calories for cardio calories burned.

Replies

• missyjmet
    missyjmet Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i have logged my strength training on MFP, and it doesn't show a calorie burn for them. I think it only tracks cardio calorie burn.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I'm also curious what other people are doing with this.
  • koonmenr
    koonmenr Posts: 4
    Options
    I keep track of my strength training, but I don't even know if there is an option to log the calories burned. This could be because of inexperience, but I use it more as a tool to see my progress.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what other people have to say!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I log the strength training exercises for my own records but don't log any calories burned - it is hard for MFP to estimate weight training because of the different factors involved ... I am sure if you are using a HRM you could log the calories you actually burn while doing it.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I log my strength training calories when I do legs cause I work harder than when I do cardio. You can find "strength training" in the cardio section.
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I log my weight/strength training under cardio 'circuit training'.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    There is strength training under Exercise
  • gavin03
    gavin03 Posts: 39
    Options
    If you log strength training under the cardio section it will give you calories you burned. What Heart rate Monitor do you have? My husband got me a polar HRM and I am very happy with it. very accurate. Good luck to you!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I think there is some "weight lifting" in cardio exercise list. I log that, but shorter time than I actually did it.

edit: its called

Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
  • Johnnygirl777
    Options
    I do this as well, 40 minutes of lifting heavy weights, I'm sweating and my heart is racing. There is a certain cardio effect when lifting heavy and you definitely do burn cals, not as much but it helps me track what I do better than no calorie burn.
  • CNBarnes
    CNBarnes Posts: 3
    Options
    I have been logging "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" from the cardio section. I use resistance bands.
  • Margy68
    Margy68 Posts: 21
    Options
    I posted a topic asking about the accuracy of the calories burned on the cardio machines that display them. Based on the responses the cardio machines overstate them. I also log my strength training on my exercise log and now wonder about the accuracy of the calories burned. I am going to buy a HRM do my cardio and strength training and whatever the readout I get from it that is what I'll log in.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    It's a Bowflex. The blue one that Tony Horton endoreses on the Beach Body site. Not impressed with that at all. I may have to convince hubs to get me a Polar for my birthday in June. I find the treadmills to overestimate which is why I always go a little lower when I input them here.
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    I turn my HRM on when I walk into the gym and turn it off when I leave ... the results are logged under "daily workout". That covers warmup, cardio, weights, and cool down. Accurate or not, that's my daily number.