Biking to work - suggestions

Options
I am seriously considering purchasing a good bike and using it to get to work instead of buying a new car. But before I invest good money into a bike, I am doing some research!

Are there any cyclists here who might have suggestions? Tips? Equipment I should look at? What makes a good bike, and suggestions for finding one at a reasonable price? I have a magazine that had a review for a Trek 1.1 WSD, and they identified that as an excellent choice for women at a reasonable price of $660. That's not out of my price range, but are there other bikes I might want to look at in that same range?

Anything you have to offer in the way of ideas or things I might not have considered would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    If you commute is on the longer side i'd suggest a road bike. I'm partial to Specialized myself. If you are going to be using it on weekends doing some trails and light off road then maybe a hybrid. But talk to your local shops, some of them will let you rent one for a day so you can give it a proper testing. Also ask about their maintenance plans. My local shop includes lifetime maintenance when you buy a bike from them. All I have to pay for is parts if needed.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you commute is on the longer side i'd suggest a road bike. I'm partial to Specialized myself. If you are going to be using it on weekends doing some trails and light off road then maybe a hybrid. But talk to your local shops, some of them will let you rent one for a day so you can give it a proper testing. Also ask about their maintenance plans. My local shop includes lifetime maintenance when you buy a bike from them. All I have to pay for is parts if needed.

Thanks! It never would have occurred to me that they would let you rent one!

I should have mentioned... my commute is 7 1/2 miles. :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Im considering the same thing. How cool. I'm looking at the treck bikes too. My ride would be twenty six miles on the road, but only seventeen if I go down the rr tracks. That's tempting.

I had a 400 and loved it, but someone else loved it more... sigh.
  • Willstephens1
    Willstephens1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I cycle to work pretty much every day. I have been using a cheap(ish) hybrid for the past 2 years, but have just invested in a Specialized Tricross. It's a mixture of Road bike and mountain bike, ideal for going off road, but more sturdy and a much nicer ride then my hybrid.
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    Im considering the same thing. How cool. I'm looking at the treck bikes too. My ride would be twenty six miles on the road, but only seventeen if I go down the rr tracks. That's tempting.

I had a 400 and loved it, but someone else loved it more... sigh.

Wow!! Even 17 miles seems like a lot to me! Not sure I'm ready to bike that far!! 7 1/2 is far enough for me! At least to start with. I've only checked the miles on the road though. I would be taking a bike trail and I have not checked the mileage on the trail yet. That's awesome that you are thinking of doing that!

Sorry bout your bike. That stinks. :(

I really have to make sure I am committed to this. If I choose a bike over a car I can't change my mind once it's purchased!!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    7.5 mile is very doable, and a comfortable bike like a hybrid or a mountain type bike should work. Go to a bike shop, and have them show you a couple different bikes and fit you to a bike.

Something to consider, what is the weather like where you live, what are you going to do when it rains and or snows?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Neato! I used to work in Clearwater for two weeks every six months. I had a 45 minute drive from the hotel to the office, but it only took about 30 minutes on my bike. I snooped your profile, lol....
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    I cycle to work pretty much every day. I have been using a cheap(ish) hybrid for the past 2 years, but have just invested in a Specialized Tricross. It's a mixture of Road bike and mountain bike, ideal for going off road, but more sturdy and a much nicer ride then my hybrid.

I'll probably regret asking, but what do You consider cheap(ish)??? LOL

I'm really hoping I can get a bike for around what that Trek costs. I can't afford to spend much more than that, but if its in place of a car (which would obviously be MUCH more), I Can afford to be a little more flexible. :)
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    7.5 mile is very doable, and a comfortable bike like a hybrid or a mountain type bike should work. Go to a bike shop, and have them show you a couple different bikes and fit you to a bike.

Something to consider, what is the weather like where you live, what are you going to do when it rains and or snows?

They'll fit you to a bike? Haha... can you tell I've never gone bike shopping before?? LOL. I have a $65 Walmart bike right now. I've ridden it to work and enjoyed it. But it's NOT comfortable or easy to ride AT ALL!! LOL

Weather isn't a problem. I live close to a lot of coworkers who don't mind giving me a ride on occassion. So if its raining I will carpool. It doesn't snow here. :)
  • Willstephens1
    Options

Well a got them both on the Cycle to work scheme so i saved about 40% off retail, and got to pay them off monthly. Including accessories, my hybrid was just over £300, which is pretty cheap, but it was a low end bike, and my Tricross, which is Specialized, a great brand, was £600. It’s the 2010 model so of course it was reduced by a couple of hundred.
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    Neato! I used to work in Clearwater for two weeks every six months. I had a 45 minute drive from the hotel to the office, but it only took about 30 minutes on my bike. I snooped your profile, lol....

LOL. That's okay. You in my general area??
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options

Well a got them both on the Cycle to work scheme so i saved about 40% off retail, and got to pay them off monthly. Including accessories, my hybrid was just over £300, which is pretty cheap, but it was a low end bike, and my Tricross, which is Specialized, a great brand, was £600. It’s the 2010 model so of course it was reduced by a couple of hundred.

Darn you foreigners!!! Hahaha... just kidding.... LOL. We don't have offers like that here and now I have to figure out how to translate that! Those numbers mean nothing to me at the moment... lol.
  • Willstephens1
    Options
    Well £300 is about $488, and £600 is about $977, but yes i wouldnt have been able to afford that without the scheme, at least our government does 1 thing right (just about).
  • SarahRuth♥
    Options
    Well £300 is about $488, and £600 is about $977, but yes i wouldnt have been able to afford that without the scheme, at least our government does 1 thing right (just about).

Thanks!! That is just about my entire price range right there. I could manage the higher end, but would rather be below that. The only reason I could afford that is because we were planning on a new car. I wish we had government incentives like that. I would take advantage of it!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I bike recreationally. I love my Trek Skye. Its more of a mountain bike but its comfy and girly.
  • Willstephens1
    Options
    A few of my friends have Trek hybrids and they are pretty good. They are well made bikes and from what i've heard are pretty good to ride.

I only invested so much because i use mine most days - i sold my car because i never used it as i was cycling more and more.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options

They'll fit you to a bike? Haha... can you tell I've never gone bike shopping before?? LOL. I have a $65 Walmart bike right now. I've ridden it to work and enjoyed it. But it's NOT comfortable or easy to ride AT ALL!! LOL

Weather isn't a problem. I live close to a lot of coworkers who don't mind giving me a ride on occassion. So if its raining I will carpool. It doesn't snow here. :)

Before I was fitted to my bike, I had a hard time riding because it hurt my bum to ride for even an hour. But now I can go pretty much forever with no pain. You'll be surprised how much a proper fitting will help out.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone else. Go to your LBS. Tell the people there exactly what you told us. They should take care of you.

If this is your first foray into the cycling wrold I would suggest renting a bike for a week and see how you like it.

I used to live where I could commute on my Specialized Hardrock, but can't anymore.
  • thetorontokid2
    Options
    I would DIE to be able to bike to work!! My commute is 20 miles one way and it SUCKS!!
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Less is more for biking to work, and I encourage you to consider a hybrid, flat bar road bike, or cyclocross [as many have also suggested].

Other Considerations:
    > Something to take a 700x35 tire or larger (those town treks can have nasty curbs and potholes)
    > Capability for racks and fenders, one rainy ride and you'll know why
    > Simple and durable drivetrain, no tardy passes are wanted with a mechanical...
    > Be ready for the flat, with all the stuff and know how to do it
    > Replace any quick release anything with a bolt of some sort

Tada, what a wonderful way to spend a commute. Good Luck!
    Ray