what does net mean?

Options
its my first day recording my work outs and eating calories. any ways my net says 900. what does that mean?

Replies

• DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    it means that you 900 more calories than you burned.
    you want to have a deficit of -3500 to lose 1 pound of fat... i think... at least that is the way i have understood it.. but maybe im wrong and someone can school me tooooo
    i just started this site a week or so ago
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    are you talking about at the top of the main page where it shows your goal, and what your actually calorie intake was? The net is the Calories you ate minus the calories you burned through exercise. So if you ate 1350 calories and burned 350 exercising your net would 1000.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I have always understood the Net Calories to be like a "Bonus" of sorts. Example: When I log in first thing in the morning, it tells me my calorie goal (to stay at or under) is 2080/day...... if I add in 500 calories of exercise to that before adding any food, my calories "remaining" jumps to 2580). So they way I see it, the more I exercise, I earn extra calories. Another thing I hear people talk about is eating your exercise calories? Not sure what that means. Regardless, I try to always ensure i never go into the negative, after adding all of my meals and exercise for the day. Taking this approach has worked for me so far.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Net calories = calories consumed - calories burned

You want your net calories to be equal to your daily calorie goal. So if you consume 1200 calories and burn 400 from exercise your net calories would be 800 and you would need to eat an extra 400 calories to make it back to 1200.
  • DatEpicChick
    DatEpicChick Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    damn you! i just looked at the thing and realized that i was totally wrong!!!
    you want you NET CALORIES to be as close to your GOAL as possible.
    so if your goal is to (like mine) eat 1200 calories a day, and then you work out and burn 200 calories... you would want to eat 200 extra calories that day to make up for what you burnt off.

this website already takes account for normal day to day activity.... so you dont want to starve your body or overdo calorie counting, this site promotes heatlhy stable weight loss...

and when you push the 'finish todays entry' button... it tell you how much your supposed to weigh in 5 weeks.

hope this helps!
  • Munozanalisa
    Options
    Thank you so much! very helpful!!
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I found this post on here to be very informative (try to ignore the pix...DUDE! Put some clothes on!). It explains a lot about your settings on here and net calories, etc.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186555-my-guide-to-how-the-goals-in-mfp-settings-work
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    are you talking about at the top of the main page where it shows your goal, and what your actually calorie intake was? The net is the Calories you ate minus the calories you burned through exercise. So if you ate 1350 calories and burned 350 exercising your net would 1000.

Correct....and *most* people should never let their net go below 1200,