iron me this iron me that

Options
I've been extremely tired alllllll the time. I added my iron intake to my food log and it has been extremely low every day. I slept an awful lot this weekend and my boyfriend mentioned that it could be iron..
Does low iron cause sleepiness?
What foods are high in iron?

Replies

• Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    red meat and spinach ;) especially steak
  • audbbgirl
    audbbgirl Posts: 83
    Options
    Low vitamin D can be an issue too. I was feeling tired all the time and my Vitamin D level was like 17 when it is supposed to be 100. If I were you I would go the Dr. and have them run tests. It can also be thryroid.
    You never want to take to many of any vitamin without a doctor's appoval because you it can actually become toxic if you take to much.
  • jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would like to know also. It seems that no matter what I do I am always tired even if I sleep all day and night. Are there other reasons other then an iron deficiency that can cause someone to be tired all the time?
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    If you think you are iron deficient, have your doctor check you out. It may be diet related, or it could be something else going on. Or you may not be iron deficient at all and have something else going on. Just my 2 cents worth. :flowerforyou:
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I would like to know also. It seems that no matter what I do I am always tired even if I sleep all day and night. Are there other reasons other then an iron deficiency that can cause someone to be tired all the time?

Yes! Thyroid problems, chronic fatigue syndrome, depression, B12 deficiency....all kinds of things. That's why it's good to follow up with your doctor.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    If you haven't had a recent physical (including bloodwork) from a doctor - I recommend that before jumping to any conclusions. There are many things that can cause you to feel tired, and a complete physical is the best way to figure out what is going on.

Some people (like myself) rarely get the full recommended iron intake but have perfectly healthy iron levels. Also - I'd be cautious about using MFP to measure iron, potassium, etc. (basically anything other than calories/fat/carbs/protein and sodium) since many people don't enter the "other stuff" in when they put foods into the database. Your iron intake may be higher than you think.
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    I have chronic anemia and have to get iron infusions every three months! Having low iron can cause fatigue both mentally and physically. Headaches and muscle fatigue are the next symptom.

Unfortunately, the most iron rich food is liver! Spinach is another high iron food. You can always try supplements, but I would talk to your doctor to be sure that iron deficiency is your issue. Too much iron is bad for you to.

Good Luck!!!
  • wecmom
    wecmom Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree with the suggestion of having a physical. I had the same issue at the end of last year and they realized that 1. I wasn't creating enough progesterone on my own 2. I was significantly Vit D deficient 3. I was iron deficient (not a surprise - I've been anemic for years and 4. my thyroid was a little slow but not the cause. Especially with females, the source of serious fatigue can be all sorts of issues.

HTH
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Do you crave Ice? do you like to chew Ice? this is a good sign that you can be iron deficient. Don't ask me why, its just what my doctor said! =)

I know for me, I don't eat a whole lot of meat (im not vegetarian or anything) I just don't eat a whole bunch of meat. I tend to get my protein from elsewhere, so my body is usually low on iron to a point that they wont let me give blood. But I have also been low on Vitamin D and my GYN doctor told me that rarely people ever have enough vitamin D naturally in their system. Since taking a supplement, I have been more awake, its easier to get up in the morning, I have been more happy and everything seems brighter.

I would get your blood tested. I don't think it is that much, and If you have insurance, your insurance probably covers it.

They can tell so much from your blood! definately something to think about!

as for me I take a multi vitamin that is high in calcium and iron and I take a seperate vitamin D supplement.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Would a b12 shot help??
    I hate the doctor so i'd like to try different things to see if i can pinpoint what it is.
  • choley222
    choley222 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes low iron can definitely make you sleepy. You need to go get your blood tested to make sure it isn't anything else. I have been anemic for over 10 years my recent physical and blood work last week came back completely normal. I do not eat red meat at all but I do eat a lot of spinach plus many other very healthy things. Sometimes the diet low calorie food we buy in the grocery store is not the best thing to be putting into our bodies, the best things are things that have been grown and are processed free. I hope you feel better!
  • rebarnette
    Options
    I used to feel really tired during the day and I changed my diet to mostly unprocessed foods. I also work out in the mornings before work now to get my heart rate up early. That helps me stay awake and motivated to make healthy decisions all day. You'd be surprised what 30-45 minutes of 140 bpm will do for you!
  • catysthename
    Options
    Do you crave Ice? do you like to chew Ice? this is a good sign that you can be iron deficient. Don't ask me why, its just what my doctor said! =)

I know for me, I don't eat a whole lot of meat (im not vegetarian or anything) I just don't eat a whole bunch of meat. I tend to get my protein from elsewhere, so my body is usually low on iron to a point that they wont let me give blood. But I have also been low on Vitamin D and my GYN doctor told me that rarely people ever have enough vitamin D naturally in their system. Since taking a supplement, I have been more awake, its easier to get up in the morning, I have been more happy and everything seems brighter.

I would get your blood tested. I don't think it is that much, and If you have insurance, your insurance probably covers it.

as for me I take a multi vitamin that is high in calcium and iron and I take a seperate vitamin D supplement.

Seems like everyone is anemic....maybe i should check out a blood test...
    But don't they check your blood at plasma centers before you give?
  • kbray003
    kbray003 Posts: 52
    Options
    Iron is what enables your red blood cells to carry oxygen to your muscles and other cells. If it is low then you will feel tired. I've heard that women should take an iron supplement because the fluctuation of iron in their blood due to menstruation.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Would a b12 shot help??
    I hate the doctor so i'd like to try different things to see if i can pinpoint what it is.

Unfortunately, unless there are a few doctors on this website, that can answer your questions 100% its just a bunch of people who are answering your questions based on thier own lives.

I hate the doctor too, but once you go and figure out whats wrong with you, then you don't have to wonder, or question, or try a gazillion different methods and spend lots of money. Its a quick trip and it will answer tons of questions for you. I also hate the dentist, but if I dont go, problems could worsen without me knowing, and then Im going to end up paying tons of money and making more trips to get everything fixed.

"A stitch in time saves nine" while this applies to sewing it also applies to lots of other things. like going to the doctor.
  • catysthename
    Options
    Iron is what enables your red blood cells to carry oxygen to your muscles and other cells. If it is low then you will feel tired. I've heard that women should take an iron supplement because the fluctuation of iron in their blood due to menstruation.

vitamins would help some vitamin d or b12 deficiency? That sounds like a good idea.
  • kimmerroze
    Options

they test your blood to make sure your iron levels are high enough to give blood. they dont' test it for anything else.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

They will test your iron levels before you donate (if it's too low you can't donate), but that doesn't replace a full physical. As many people have said, tiredness can have MANY causes, so you need a full check-up & bloodwork from a doctor to adequately address the issue.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

vitamins would take care of any vitamin d or b12 deficiency correct?

If you're severely deficient in Vitamin D, you may need special supplements for a little while to boost your levels. Again - see a doctor. It's not a good idea to just start taking vitamins/supplements and hope it fixes the problem.