If you liked Supersize Me, you have to watch Fat head

Options
megamom
megamom Posts: 920 Member
Check out Netflix movie called Fat Head. It has information we really all need to see.

Replies

• Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump.. will do
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Loved Supersized Me! Will have to check this one out - thanks!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I watched it a really like it.
  • TabbyJustice
    TabbyJustice Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Found their website, looks really interesting, funny, and a lot of common sense. I have added it my instant queue on Netflix (they don't offer the DVD?).
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thank you! We just got netflix so will watch this later tonight or tomorrow
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    This makes so much sense to me I am going to do a trial of this eating and see if I can break my plateau. I am going to check out a couple of the books from the library and see what happens.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Fathead was a very good movie, I've been on a documentary kick lately watching, fathead, Food INC, Food Matters, and Killer at Large.
    The prevailing point of all of these movies is don't trust the FDA or government for our food choices, and don't believe everything you read. Which makes it tough to decide what is true and what isn't

What the Fathead guy proved, and the Twinkie Doctor proved, is that to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you burn. Simple as that really.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Going to add that one. Thanks!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Added it to my Blockbuster list!
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    added to my netflix..thanks!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Fathead was a very good movie, I've been on a documentary kick lately watching, fathead, Food INC, Food Matters, and Killer at Large.
    The prevailing point of all of these movies is don't trust the FDA or government for our food choices, and don't believe everything you read. Which makes it tough to decide what is true and what isn't

What the Fathead guy proved, and the Twinkie Doctor proved, is that to lose weight you have to eat less calories than you burn. Simple as that really.

Here here :drinker: I always round a little up on the calories listed on the packaging...I don't trust their numbers for a second.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Really? That is what you learned? The last month of his study he was eating less then 20 grams of carbohydrate per day, only walking as his daily exercise (no strenuous stuff) and eating 70+% of his daily calories in saturated fats. He lost weight, his cholesterol panels all continued to improve and he built muscle mass while reducing his BMI. Something else is going on besides calories in/calories out hypothesis.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    That didn't go too much into his ketosis diet after the fact, he lost 12lbs watching calories.

If you can maintain a carb free diet for life more power to you, personally I like donuts, pizza, and ice cream too much.
  • mrsrhino99
    Options

I will have to check this out. Although I wholeheartedly disagree with the calories in, calories out theory. On paper it makes sense. Burn more than you eat and you'll lose. Coming from someone who suffers from PCOS, I say that is not true. I have several things going on in my body that sabotage that on a daily basis. I think you are only burn as much as your metabolism allows, and everyone's is different. I was recently diagnosed with Diabetes, and before that I had insulin resistance thanks to my PCOS, and I know that even when I don't eat as much as I burn, I don't always lose, because even some of those less calories are not stored the way they should be because of how my body processes them. Just IMO.
  • LaJauna
    Options
    That didn't go too much into his ketosis diet after the fact, he lost 12lbs watching calories.

If you can maintain a carb free diet for life more power to you, personally I like donuts, pizza, and ice cream too much.

I love those food too. That is why I am fighting the good fight by avoiding those foods. They are addictive to me. I can't just have one bite any more then an alcoholic can have one small drink. I have found some lovely low carb versions of all of those that satisfy my taste-buds without ruining my plan to reach goal. I am on a ketogenic journey to health and fitness. I will eventually be able to add back healthy carbs without setting myself up for bingeing and weight gains, all without having to step into a gym. I walk for exercise and play with my dog.
  • LaJauna
    Options

I forgot to add, that he did eat less but his focus was on keeping his carbohydrate levels under 100 grams a day.
  • Russellb97
    Options

Really? That is what you learned? The last month of his study he was eating less then 20 grams of carbohydrate per day, only walking as his daily exercise (no strenuous stuff) and eating 70+% of his daily calories in saturated fats. He lost weight, his cholesterol panels all continued to improve and he built muscle mass while reducing his BMI. Something else is going on besides calories in/calories out hypothesis.

I'll put it this way.

There's no doubt carbs are a factor but,
    I lost over 100 lbs in 11 months eating about 250 carbs a day 6 days a week, and one day eating over 500.

Then this summer I lost another 20lbs eating 125 carbs a day, almost all of them at night 6 days a week, and one day eating over 500 again.

I also increased my muscle mass while lower BMI (if you lose weight you lower BMI)

This guy lost 27lbs in two months eating carb filled Twinkies

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The thing they all have in common is we burned more calories that we ate.

I agree that saturated fats are wrongly blamed for many things, and we eat too many carbs overall.

The whole key is finding something that works for you, that not only is your tool to lose weight but also it must become your lifestyle, otherwise you'll gain back all the weight you lost.
  • LaJauna
    Options

I'll put it this way.

There's no doubt carbs are a factor but,
    I lost over 100 lbs in 11 months eating about 250 carbs a day 6 days a week, and one day eating over 500.

Then this summer I lost another 20lbs eating 125 carbs a day, almost all of them at night 6 days a week, and one day eating over 500 again.

I also increased my muscle mass while lower BMI (if you lose weight you lower BMI)

This guy lost 27lbs in two months eating carb filled Twinkies

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The thing they all have in common is we burned more calories that we ate.

I agree that saturated fats are wrongly blamed for many things, and we eat too many carbs overall.

The whole key is finding something that works for you, that not only is your tool to lose weight but also it must become your lifestyle, otherwise you'll gain back all the weight you lost.

I agree with most of what you said....Preach on Brother.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I just hope people are smart enough to take this for what it is and realize that he isn't promoting that fast food is healthy. He is just challenging the fact that the fast food industry is responsible for making us all fat. Basically putting the responsibility of portion control back on us. Generally speaking, most things you get at a fast food joint is not going to be a healthy choice and the foods that are prepared there are going to be far less nutritious then the same foods prepared correctly at home.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    I just hope people are smart enough to take this for what it is and realize that he isn't promoting that fast food is healthy. He is just challenging the fact that the fast food industry is responsible for making us all fat. Basically putting the responsibility of portion control back on us. Generally speaking, most things you get at a fast food joint is not going to be a healthy choice and the foods that are prepared there are going to be far less nutritious then the same foods prepared correctly at home.

Absolutely.

It comes down to personal choice, and this is what happens in a capitalist society. Companies will give us what we want.
    I am not saying it's bad but something is definitely wrong here.
    Think of it this way, if everyone was healthy and in shape today, the economy would collapse tomorrow.

It's obvious that obesity is a problem, but the CDC uses BMI to tell us who is overweight and that system is messed up at best. Our foods are full of chemicals and we eat too many carbs.
    I feel that the whole food vegans are partially right and the no-carb meat eaters are partially right.
    Our government does want to help us, because i think most of them are good people, but if everyone is healthy the economy collapses.
    They tells us to exercise not eat less. This doesn't work.
    The most unhealthy foods are the cheapest foods.
    As a whole we lack knowledge, when I was an overweight kid my parents had no idea of how to help me. I had to find it all out on my own, because you read one thing that works, and then another thing totally contradicts the other!
    As a society, we are so deep in this crap that it has to be up to each of us individually to get ourselves out. There will never be a magic pill, it's not possible and even if there was a miracle cure, it would never see the light of day.

My motto is, find what you can live with, because everything works if your burn more than you eat.