*UGH!* Not feeling very good about my situation.

Options
So. The main reason I wanted to lose some weight is because I wan't to improve my riding more, and losing weight would make that easier. However, I just discovered I have to sell my horse. My reason for living. I'm not kidding. I have no friends but one. That's it. And she's an hour away. My horse, the barn, that is my life. It's all I do. And now I have to sell my horse. In all honesty, I'm so stunned I almost can't even believe it. I am one child of five. My dad works 40 hours a week, and our cars are on their way out, insurance is getting expensive, and they' just can't afford to pay 280 dollars a month for my mare. I'm already working their as often as possible cleaning stalls to knock off 60 or so dollars of board, and it still isn't working. It's got me down, and wanting to comfort myself with food and being lazy. It's really hard. Anyway, I was just venting, I suppose. Kudos to you if you read all this.

Allie & Didi

Replies

• aalexander0607
    aalexander0607 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That sounds awful! Have you thought about getting a part-time job? Maybe you could turn that 60 a month into 60 a week and make it easier on your folks. I am the type of person who hates the word "no" so I know how helpless you must feel. Don't give up on your weight loss. If you love riding you will continue to do it and the need will still be there once you work all this out! Good Luck!! I hope everything works out for you!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    I'm so sorry.. that's terrible! I rode horses my whole life. It's just so much fun. Would it be possible to find an alternative, such as take lessons on someone else's horse? After our horses had to retire for age or injury, I rode a lesson horse and had a lot of fun. Obviously it's still not cheap, but maybe after continuing your barn work it could be manageable?
  • countrymom75
    countrymom75 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR SITUATION. I WOULDN'T EVEN BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW TO FIX IT EITHER. MY FAMILY HAS HAD HORSES SINCE BEFORE I WAS BORN. I AM 35. SO HORSES ARE IN OUR BLOOD. WE DON'T SHOW ANYMORE BUT STILL HAVE A COUPLE TO BEFRIEND AND PLAY WITH. MY PARENTS CAN'T KEEP UP LIKE THEY USE TO.
    HAVING PETS THESE DAYS IS HARD. HAVE YOU SPOKEN TO THE PEOPLE YOU BOARD AT TO SEE IF THEY WOULD SWING A DEAL WITH YOU FOR MORE WORK TIME? SOMETIMES PEOPLE SUPRISE YOU, WELL IN A GOOD WAY OR BAD WAY EVEN. IT WOULD BE WORTH IT TO ASK.OR FIND A PLACE CLOSER TO HOME TO SAVE ON TRAVELING AND BOARD?
    I HOPE THINGS WORK OUT FOR YOU. WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING ELSE THAT COULD BE CUT OUT INSTEAD OF YOU LOSING YOUR BEST FRIEND. MY FIRST PONY WAS MY BEST FRIEND. WE DID EVERYTHING TOGETHER.
    BEST OF LUCK TO YOU.
  • lubvug32
    lubvug32 Posts: 15
    Options
    oh that sucks! is there any way you can talk to the people at the barn to help you in any other way? Everything that happens, happens for a reason even though we may not understand the why of it all. I hope things get better for you; believe me, I TOTALLY understand what you are going through. Times are rough for a lot of people ::hugs::
  • mrsrhino99
    Options
    So. The main reason I wanted to lose some weight is because I wan't to improve my riding more, and losing weight would make that easier. However, I just discovered I have to sell my horse. My reason for living. I'm not kidding. I have no friends but one. That's it. And she's an hour away. My horse, the barn, that is my life. It's all I do. And now I have to sell my horse. In all honesty, I'm so stunned I almost can't even believe it. I am one child of five. My dad works 40 hours a week, and our cars are on their way out, insurance is getting expensive, and they' just can't afford to pay 280 dollars a month for my mare. I'm already working their as often as possible cleaning stalls to knock off 60 or so dollars of board, and it still isn't working. It's got me down, and wanting to comfort myself with food and being lazy. It's really hard. Anyway, I was just venting, I suppose. Kudos to you if you read all this.

Allie & Didi

So, you are 18. Are you out of school? If so, do you have a job so that you can help pay for car insurance and for your horse? If you are still in HS, can't you work part time somewhere that pays more than $60 month that stall cleaning does? I'd think at least minimum wage for three days of work a week could net you enough money to cover the horse. If you worked 15 hours a week at minimum wage that would bring in around $350 a month. Your horse is paid for.
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    To use your own quote "Never give up on yourself; it's the only true defeat." Everything happens for a reason. Some good will come out of your heart break. Even though you can't see it now. *hugs*
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Awww, I'm so sorry!!

I know it's been tough finding jobs around here, and they are still becoming less and less.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Agree with countrymom...try talking to the boarding stable. All they can do is tell you no, and you've lost nothing by asking for help.

Of course I don't know your situation...but a better part time job would help too....:)
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    That sucks. Would it be an option for you to get a job to pay all/some of the $280 per month? While it has been some time, I believe a part-time job could easily net you this much money. Back when I was your age, I made $3.35/hour, but I think it is $7.25/hour or so now. Assume 30% taxes, if you worked about 14 hours per week, you should be good.

Best of luck in a tough situation.

--Carter
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Where there is a well there is a way! So sorry about your situation. Maybe you could make a list of all of your options. I know there is a solution. Letting people know is a great start. Just don't eat your problems away though, that is counter productive. Maybe go for a run instead of grabbing something to eat. You will be able to think of a solution and feel much better about your self. I am sure it will work out somehow. Best of Luck!!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    This is great!! <keep reading> This is just like your fitness. If you want it bad enough, fight like hell for it. I would look at the P/T job situation. I would also ask others with stables around you to see if anyone can pitch in on little things that will help reduce costs. You may be able to trade a neighbor for some babysitting or helping to organize their home or even clean their stables for extra money. People are all struggling and pitching is is becoming much more common these days. There are ways, don't give up yet.
  • PassionForDressage
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've tried to get part-time jobs, butI'm only 16 and so many more people (specifically who can drive) have applications in too. It doesn't seem like I have much of a chance. Who knows though? If I were to work more at the barn I board at, they'd have to fire someone. That's not really fair- most people who work there need the money too.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    *hug*

Reading this made me so sad. Although I don't have any wonderful advice for you, I do wish you the best. Hang in there!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've tried to get part-time jobs, butI'm only 16 and so many more people (specifically who can drive) have applications in too. It doesn't seem like I have much of a chance. Who knows though? If I were to work more at the barn I board at, they'd have to fire someone. That's not really fair- most people who work there need the money too.

Is there any way you can work anything out with the people you board with for a discounted rate or doing other stuff, like cleaning house, mowing yards, walking dogs those people do well. Your 16 so you could postion at your school for dog walking, and the other things mentioned. I wish you the best, or can you find a little girl or boy who wants to learn to ride and you can rent out your horse and give lessons?