Lent - Giving up the Scales!!!!!

Options
Hello all,

as lent starts soon I've been debating what to give up this year. last year I gave up cheese and boy was it hard!! I dropped half a stone though just through no cheese!! (which obviously meant o pizza, no lasagne, no philly on jacket potatoes, no cheese toasties!!)

so I've been struggling, because I eat cheese now but not as much and I don't feel like I'll be "depriving" myself of something. then i came across another post where someone is giving up the scales. THIS IS REALLY SCARY FOR ME. how will i know if i am on target??! How will I keep up with my 6 weekly MFP challenges??

But I am going to do it!!! Final weigh in is Tuesday and thats it... all through lent... I will give up the scales.

who wants to join me!?! xx

Replies

• sarahaha
    sarahaha Posts: 20
    Options
    oh my gosh, that's impressive. i'm not quite ready to give it a shot yet, but good luck! i think it is a very healthy thing to do. i will be giving up the scales for about a week and a half when i go home over spring break and it's gonna be really scary for me, but i think it's a good thing too.

you rock :D
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am so in!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Cheese - that's a good idea! I was just debating what I should do because I usually give up candy but now I eat very little candy other than some dark chocolate. I don't drink pop and I don't eat fast food (two other things I would forgo during Lent).
  • LaurenRoseMD
    Options
    I hope it works out OK for you. Good luck.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I gave up the scales a few weeks ago as I felt it was becoming mentally too destructive for me. I decided to gage my success by measuring which for me has been much better. It's been 3 weeks now that I haven't weighed and I feel so liberated. I've learned to listen to my body more which is great.

You will be fine and after the first week you won't even miss the scales.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I gave up the scales a few weeks ago as I felt it was becoming mentally too destructive for me. I decided to gage my success by measuring which for me has been much better. It's been 3 weeks now that I haven't weighed and I feel so liberated. I've learned to listen to my body more which is great.

You will be fine and after the first week you won't even miss the scales.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up my scale for Lent too. You'll know you're on target because you'll feel better and your clothes will fit better. As for your weekly challenges, put them on hold; that's what I did. And if you're still unsure, take your measurements if you want, just to make sure you're still going in the right direction. I'm undecided as to whether or not I'm going to take measurements during Lent; I think I'm going to try not to.

I don't know about you, but I get hung up on the scale, and giving it up is going to (hopefully) make me focus on my health rather than my weight.

Good luck!
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    Awesome!! Good luck. I think I need to do this also. I have become SOO dependent of them....I have vowed only once a week..and the once every 2 weeks.
  • WomanPower79
    Options
    I gave up the scales for the entire month of march... DAy 7 with on weigh in!! huge for me.. i used to be a two times a day weigh-er!
  • swissmardi
    swissmardi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I gave up the scales for over 10 years... It was the best time of my life as well as the most trying... I found it amazingly enlightening as to how my brain works. I was my thinnest but that didn't help my head from feeling that I was totally obese at times. I only weighed in at Dr's appointments but told them not to tell me as I was addicted to the number.

I've gained a bunch of weight back due to various reasons and I have decided to get back on it as well as get on a calorie counting regime (that's why I'm here...). I am finding it tough, though, to not let the numbers rule my self worth. Strange how finding out that I was over 200 pounds for the first time in my life made me suddenly feel inferior, less, not "good enough". I was ok with my self before I got on the scale, just wanted to get down a couple of pant sizes...

So, am I in for lent? Hmmmm.... As you say, I'm scared, but it actually scares me to see that I am depending upon scales again to tell me if I'm "on" or not. I know if I walk the walk then magic happens, may not happen at the pace I want it to, but my body can take care of itself.

Ok, I'm in. I'm new here, just weighed in yesterday, and I'll wait 7 weeks and see what happens. Keeps me in the moment. Thanks for the idea.
  • Denziee
    Denziee Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Ok so it looks like we have two people in and rainbow do you want to join and call it giving up being obsessive about the scales?! Or you wanna go cold turkey with us?

I'm thinking we could final weigh in tuesday morning and log it on this thread and then just keep coming back here for support and bit of chat about fitness etc ?! I'm scared so I need some friends to do this with!!! Xx
  • swissmardi
    Options
    Ok. I'm in. Tomorrow we begin. Scares the begeebees out of me, too...
  • Denziee
    Options
    grand! so tomorrow we will weigh in and then i think I'l have to get the boyfriend to actually hide the scales!!

come on swissmardi we can do this!
    (i am Clare by the way!) xx
  • swissmardi
    Options
    Hey Clare. I'm Mardi. Yes we can! Glad you are doing this with me.:smile:
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I'll have to think about this one...no scale for forty days....wow!I thought giving up after eating after seven was a biggie:)
  • awendybird
    awendybird Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OK I'm in too. I am definitely an obsessive weigher (twice a day if I am home). This is going to be reaalllly hard for me! I'll have my sister hide it.

I'm scared, but I think I really need to do it! Good idea!!
  • swissmardi
    Options
    Here we go... I'm down my first Kilo and, boy is it going to be difficult to trust... How should we communicate? Here? or through messages??? Let me know.
  • swissmardi
    Options
    Let's really try and do this together... It freaks me out, too, but if I'm doing what's to do, then I can actually trust that all will be ok... Know what I mean?
  • Denziee
    Options
    OK!!! SO here's the weigh in.

Copy and Paste below, add your name and add your starting weight. (SW) and your goal weigh (GW) if you intend to try lose weight over this period too. If not just write MAINTAIN

WEIGHT:
    Finnhead (Clare): SW: 155.2lbs GW: 151LBS
    swissmardi:
    awendybird:
    flipipino_wardog:

if you want to join just copy and paste the latest post of the above and add your details.

ps - is anyone taking measurements? if so we could add these in too?
    pps - I think we should check in on here whilst doing it together so we can all chat and support each other!!
  • awendybird
    awendybird Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so excited!! (and nervous) Here we go!!

WEIGHT:
    Finnhead (Clare): SW: 155.2lbs GW: 151LBS
    swissmardi:
    awendybird: SW: 123lbs GW: 118lbs
    flipipino_wardog: