Do I HAVE to?

Options
So I was wondering, do I have to eat three meals a day. I'm getting all my calories (trust me no problem there) but I've never been a breakfast eater. Normally I don't eat until 11am. I do sometimes eat before this time but I just don't get hungry until then. I always seem to have enough energy for the day so is it really THAT important? Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    One reason to begin your day with breakfast is that it revs your metabolism up sooner in the day, and it should make weight loss easier. I never ate breakfast until I met with a dietician who explained this to me.
    Almost five years and 60 pounds lighter, I eat breakfast nearly every day. On the days I don't, it is a brunch and I skip lunch. I'm not always hungry, but I think it is really important to eat this meal.
    Just my humble opinion,
    Kaye
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't function without breakfast! I can understand why you might not want to but it's worth giving a go just to see if you notice any positive effects.

You could try something small and easily digestible to start with like fruit and yogurt.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's actually better for your body to have MORE food early in the day and LESS later. That way, your body has more time to burn the fuel it has been given. Our parents were right when they told us that breakfast was the most important meal of the day.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The more meals you eat in a day the faster and easier your body can break it down. three meals and two snacks is a good rule of thumb. Just make it something small like an apple or a piece of toast. Just do yourself that little favor and you will thank yourself for it later. :)
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I wasn't either but I have started making the effort and it is really paying off, I read that you should eat like the quote below:

"Eat Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a peasant"

Ben.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    It better for you and your metabolism but you don't have to anything you don't want to do. It's your body.
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    My trainer explained it as, if your car needs fuel, you don't wait till the tank is completetly empty before you put fuel in. When you see the dial inching towards that E even though the car can still move you put petrol in. The same goes with your body, you don't wait till you are running on empty before you refuel and if you body is getting ready for a long journey (your day) then you refuel in preparation. I never ate breakfast, but now i have a small bowl of cereal or porridge and that keeps me going for longer.
    you get used to it with time.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I never ate breakfast before joining MFP. When I started, I knew I was gonna have to add breakfast in as it's one of the main things they always tell you you need to do if you're trying to lose weight. I started small, just Special K bar type stuff since too much for breakfast often made me queasy. But once I got used to that I slowly upped to fuller and more normal breakfasts. Now I feel like I can't function if I don't have breakfast, it's just a totally normal and needed part of my day now.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should.
  • lowpost42
    lowpost42 Posts: 49
    Options
    Another vote for fueling up early in the day (breakfast) - but then don't eat again until you're hungry.

There are plenty of days which go breakfast @ 8ish, lunch around 1 and dinner somewhere after 6 (depending on the size of lunch and whether or not I can keep my hands out of the cookie jar!)

Other days if I've loaded up on breakfast, lunch may be on the heavy side around 3, and dinner may get skipped altogether.

Fuel up! Then eat balanced when you're hungry and stop when you're full.
  • rachelebuck
    Options
    I just have a cup of low fat kefir in the mornings. It's usually enough to get me started.
  • Amarylis13
    Amarylis13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, as the others said, eating more often, and smaller meals, helps your body break the food down instead of storing it as fat. Try to eat something, even just a little snack, every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism up and your body burning the fuel. And as you do this, you will find that you will be hungry when you get up. That shows that your metabolism is speeding up.:happy:
  • bitterbb
    bitterbb Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On the flip side, some doctors maintain that only 3 meals a day and no snacks is better. Why? They suggest that it allows your insullinlevels to return to normal levels between meals allowing for better weight loss. I say try it for a couple weeks and see how it works for you.
  • Raebug123
    Raebug123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Well thanks again to everyone for the advice. I will try my best to eat my breakfast everyday!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Rae when I started I could NOT eat before 11 am. I bought these little yogurt shots. They are about 3-4 oz and liquid, high protien. I could shoot one back and get the ol engine revved up. Before I knew it, I was hungry in the morning.

Our bodies adapt to what we do to it. Don't drink water and you will live in a constant state of dehydration. Start drinking 50-60 oz a day and by the 3rd day you will crave water.

Amazing our bodies, really:flowerforyou: