Is beef really okay?

Options
Steaks are my kryptonite. For a long time I believed that eating beef was one of the reasons why I became obese. But now I found out that eating it in moderation is not really a bad thing. So my question is... is it okay to eat beef everyday and still lose weight? Im talking about 120grams of beef here, nothing big and sloppy. :) Just enough to satiate my cravings.

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Lean beef is good. I don't think you should eat it everyday because too much of anything isn't good. A variety of nutrients is key to a balanced diet.
  • wyheel
    wyheel Posts: 7
    Options
    If you trim the fat really well, you are eating a very lean, very nutritious protein! Course, if the steak is well marbled (fat running throughout the meat), then you need to keep that fat content in mind when calculating your daily totals.....
  • ScottyLikesCake
    ScottyLikesCake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lean meat in moderate amounts is absolutely fine however, there is some evidence that corn fed cattle produce beef that is higher in saturated fats than grass fed cattle so it might be wise to not eat it every day unless you can be sure of it's provenance.
  • hapemopirate
    hapemopirate Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying a nice cut of steak. It's more about how you prepare it, and how much you eat. I'm learning more and more that eating clean, natural foods is a lot more important than listening to the whole, "Beef will kill you! Animal fat is the devil!" God made that cow for you to knock on the head and drag home to throw on the fire. Enjoy, my friend.
  • Fertilegrounds5
    Options
    I guess it is. I use very lean beef like 93/7 ground. Its more expensive but I feel like it worth it.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 671
    Options
    Look for grass fed. It's actually more lean and nutritious if you can afford it. If you can't then stick to lean cuts and I don't see why it can't be a regular part of your diet. The news changes daily on what is good for us and what isn't so really you just have to see how you 'feel' by listening to your body.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Steaks are my kryptonite. For a long time I believed that eating beef was one of the reasons why I became obese. But now I found out that eating it in moderation is not really a bad thing. So my question is... is it okay to eat beef everyday and still lose weight? Im talking about 120grams of beef here, nothing big and sloppy. :) Just enough to satiate my cravings.
    I read it more than once (over the net and in magazines). A healthy portion of beef would be 3 ounces. It's 85 g I think. That is tiny, like a pack of playing cards.
    When we look at those huge 12 ounces steaks we eat...it's OVER 500 calories most of the time.
    Of course there are healthier ways to eat beef. Very lean roast beef or lean ground beef is good.
    The thing is, most of the time our piece of meat takes the entire plate...
  • iamdefyinggravity
    Options
    I read it more than once (over the net and in magazines). A healthy portion of beef would be 3 ounces. It's 85 g I think. That is tiny, like a pack of playing cards.
    When we look at those huge 12 ounces steaks we eat...it's OVER 500 calories most of the time.
    Of course there are healthier ways to eat beef. Very lean roast beef or lean ground beef is good.
    The thing is, most of the time our piece of meat takes the entire plate...

Oh thanks for this info. I can surely cut it down to 85g, just have to get myself that beef taste so I don't lose my mind. :)
    There's nothing wrong with enjoying a nice cut of steak. It's more about how you prepare it, and how much you eat. I'm learning more and more that eating clean, natural foods is a lot more important than listening to the whole, "Beef will kill you! Animal fat is the devil!" God made that cow for you to knock on the head and drag home to throw on the fire. Enjoy, my friend.

LOL Yes thank god I've seen the light about beef.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!