"problem exercises"?

Options
Do any of you have a problem exercise? I do :( Two, actually - push ups and lunges. I can't seem to get the correct form on either!! And with pushups, my stronger arm likes to take over and do all of the pushing up. haha.

Any tips? :(

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Pushups: Start with knees on the floor, hands on a bench, in line with your shoulders. Next graduate to knees and hands on the floor. Then on your toes!

Lunges: hold onto a chair (arm stretched out to the side). Then decrease your grip.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My stronger arm takes over too!

I can't do lunge jumps, my knees are getting worse and worse. I skip anything jarring to my knees when I'm doing my videos!
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Pushups: Start with knees on the floor, hands on a bench, in line with your shoulders. Next graduate to knees and hands on the floor. Then on your toes!

Lunges: hold onto a chair (arm stretched out to the side). Then decrease your grip.

liking that :smile:
  • mattiexox
    mattiexox Posts: 42
    Options

Thank you :) I do pushups on my knees, too, but my stronger arm still does all the work. lol how frustrating! I think I'll find a buddy who can watch my form, hmm....
  • mattiexox
    Options
    My stronger arm takes over too!

I can't do lunge jumps, my knees are getting worse and worse. I skip anything jarring to my knees when I'm doing my videos!

Ah! Same here. Do you do bodyrock.tv? I lover her stuff but I get sooo frustrated because I can't do lunges of any kind thanks to hip problems. lol
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I'm a complete spazz on elliptical machines... swore them off a long time ago but maybe will try one more time, lol!
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mine is pull ups! I just hate them with a passion. I think it's one of those exercises that most women just avoid all together. I rarely do them but it's something I need to change because I know they will help me out a lot!

As far as the push ups are concerned...do them slower. It makes it harder, yes, but it gives you the time to actually focus on what you are doing. Maybe keeping your feet spread a little bit further apart would also help distribute weight more evenly so you don't can't favor one arm over another as much? The slower you can go, the more you can think about not using that dominant arm to do all the work. Remember to focus on keeping your body in a plank style position, keeping that booty from sticking up in the air! I find that pulling in and tightening my core helps me do better push ups.
    Lunges...I'm sure you know the whole drill, knee over ankle, don't let it go past your toes...again do them slowly. What part of your form do you find is off? Are you going too far forward, not enough? If you could explain a bit more, maybe we can get a better idea of what's going on.
  • mattiexox
    Options
    I'm a complete spazz on elliptical machines... swore them off a long time ago but maybe will try one more time, lol!

Haha! You totally should! :) I go back to lunges every now and then to see if I've gotten better...I have, a little! So you never know :)
  • mattiexox
    Options
    Mine is pull ups! I just hate them with a passion. I think it's one of those exercises that most women just avoid all together. I rarely do them but it's something I need to change because I know they will help me out a lot!

As far as the push ups are concerned...do them slower. It makes it harder, yes, but it gives you the time to actually focus on what you are doing. Maybe keeping your feet spread a little bit further apart would also help distribute weight more evenly so you don't can't favor one arm over another as much? The slower you can go, the more you can think about not using that dominant arm to do all the work. Remember to focus on keeping your body in a plank style position, keeping that booty from sticking up in the air! I find that pulling in and tightening my core helps me do better push ups.
    Lunges...I'm sure you know the whole drill, knee over ankle, don't let it go past your toes...again do them slowly. What part of your form do you find is off? Are you going too far forward, not enough? If you could explain a bit more, maybe we can get a better idea of what's going on.

Pull ups are SO hard! I can't wait to be able to do at least 5 in a row, haha.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate when people try to help always, but you gave me like BRAND NEW information and I appreciate that a lot! I tried that and I also tried crossing my ankles and both worked! So thank you :):)

My problem with lunges seems to be just plain ol getting the form right, lol. Like I never can get my legs in the right position? I don't know how to explain! :( I have hip problems so that may contribute