Uneven ribs

Options
On my lower left side, my rib cage sticks out significantly further than on my right side. I've been reading up online and I guess this is pretty common, but in most people, it doesnt really cause them any discomfort. It does for me... I can feel it when I lay on my left side and I can even feel it sometimes if I'm laying on my back or my right side. It's uncomfortable, and I can't sleep on my left side anymore. I'm noticing it even more now that I'm losing weight. Is this anything that I need to be worried about? Should I get my doctor to check it out? Does anyone else have this same problem?

Replies

• skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would play it safe and get a check up. I personally have never heard of uneven ribs.
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'd talk to your doctor about it....it may be that something is out of alignment, which can be fixed.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have that too. It can be quite painful at times and cause pain in the surrounding muscles and tissue as they get inflamed. You could get it checked out just to make sure nothing is happening under those ribs (probably a x-ray) I have learned that if I wear a rib brace or even one of those girtles it helps quite a bit. :)
  • blink14
    blink14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I actually have this issue as well, but not as severe. My bottom rib on the left side also has to be readjusted frequently where it meets my spine by chiropractor - that may be part of the pain you are having. I would definitely have it checked out.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the advice everyone! From what I've been reading, it sounds like a lot of people have uneven rib cages but its more noticeable on the chest, making one breast look bigger for women and one pec bigger for men. But for me, the uneven-ness is lower in my rib cage, at the bottom. It's wierd :huh:
    Good to know I'm not the only one though!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Jesse, I was just talking to my hubby about this. Mine doesn't hurt a lot, but it is kind of uncomfortable to sleep on my left side. First, I'm not used to feeling my ribs, because I've always had some cushion there. Haha. But also he said its probably because I'm right handed, so right is my dominant side, and my body would probably take fat from the less-used side. He said not to worry too much unless the its REALLY painful and I might get used to this. AT least for me. If its painful for you, I'd ask your doc.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks Martha, I'm glad it's not just me! If I ask my doc about it, I'll let you know what he says.