30 day shred question

Options
With the risk of sounding stupid lol...is the 30 day shred hard? I have read there are 3 levels. What exactly does it entail? How long are the workouts? Do you really see results in 30 days?

I am so out of shape its not even funny. I just want to know if you guys think it is something I could do or if I should try something else..
Right now my "exercise" during the week consists of cleaning the house pretty much..burns about 200 cals a day but Im looking for more..Cleaning the house isnt going to get me to my goal any time soon.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly reply :happy:

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Yes it is hard, but if you do your best you will see yourself get better at it day after day. It entails what she calls a "3-2-1" system, which is 3 minutes of strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs. You do a warm up, the 3-2-1 circuits 3 times, and then a cool down. So all in all, it takes less than 30 minutes.
  • KELM0710
    KELM0710 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I could do 30 mins. Im sure it will be modified to my own verison of the exercises. LOL like a lot easier but hey its a start. Have to see about getting the dvd here pretty soon.

How often do you do it? Everyday? 5 times a week?

Im guessing you can do it 30 days as often as you want to work up to level 3? Wow lol that sounds like a retarded question..just had to ask tho :)
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The moves are easy, but it's very hard and very worth it. I've seen huge changes after doing it four times (not consecutive either, I couldn't move for a week after the first day and I run 18 - 20 miles a week.)

Like Jillian says, "I have 400 pound people that can do this, you can too!" That gets me going every time.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just completed day 25 this morning. I too was grossly out of shape, i did level 1 for 15 days before moving to 2 (most people do 10 days on each level). I have loss 14.3 lbs since starting and it is not too challenging, does not require a lot of time or equipment. Perfect workout to begin with.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Honestly, how difficult the workout is depends upon how difficult you want to make it. (This tends to be the case with a lot of workout videos.) If you start out slow and modify the moves that are difficult for you (one of the on-screen models does modified versions of the moves), you'll be fine.

I've found that if I go way faster than Jillian on the cardio moves, I get a pretty good sweat going. If I take it slow and easy, I don't feel like I get as good a burn as I'd like. But they are fun workouts, and I recommend them.

Good luck!
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    30 Day Shred is not hard until you get to level 3.. but after you do it.. even after you finish level 1.. you will feel great.. you will feel like you just conquered a huge victory.. so here's what I say to you.. buy it.. try it.. love it. I don't do it religiously.. just because I do other stuff.. but when I do it.. I feel great and love it.. and recommend it to EVERYONE
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Made it through a week of 30DS before it caught up with me and I pulled a muscle in my leg. :sad: Waiting to heal and then I plan on starting slower. I am extremely out of shape! I never imagined that I could be hurt by a jumping jack. :blushing: If you are out of shape, I suggest extra stretching before you start the dvd.
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    I just started my day one:) It's not that hard..at the moment you're doing it.. It's harder later xD (muscle pain and so...)
    But I read it's totaly worth it!!!
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have done this workout everyday except 3 days for the last 25 days.... if i missed a day i did it twice the following day. But it is totally up to you on how you do it. I will say you will be sore so sore that sitting on toilet will be excruciating! but keep with it and the soreness goes away after about day 5 or so.
  • ebonybliss
    Options
    A friend purchased the video and we were going to start it, but we decided to join a gym instead after previewing it. It looks difficult, but It also looks like something that WILL work with dedication
  • KELM0710
    Options
    Im more out of shape than I thought. Lol Hubby and I made an island outside in the yard and planted a couple palms and flowers, a day before that i did some actual exercises and over the weekend the back of my legs were hurtttinnnggg..

I will definitely go slow the first few days.. I see it this way..actually getting up and starting the dvd, doing a few of the work outs is a HUGE step and its more than I would do if i didnt have the DVD. :)
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Made it through a week of 30DS before it caught up with me and I pulled a muscle in my leg. :sad: Waiting to heal and then I plan on starting slower. I am extremely out of shape! I never imagined that I could be hurt by a jumping jack. :blushing: If you are out of shape, I suggest extra stretching before you start the dvd.

^^^THIS! I did day 1 on March 1st. After the warm-up part, I reached down to adjust my mat and totally tweaked my back! I was NOT expecting that after doing the warm up. So, I did 20 minutes of yoga, and then went back to the shred. Make sure you are loose and stretched out- I would definitely suggest doing more than just the warm up Jillian does.

I've only done 2 days worth but yeah it was hard at first. I am also very out of shape :) But even doing it on day 2, I felt better than I did on day 1. The moves in themselves are not hard, it's just the pace that you move through them at. Jillian doesnt let you rest at all, but dont deprive yourself of water! You'll need it! You'll also need some small hand weights, or to save money, use 1lb soup cans! You'll feel silly at first but it'll work your arms more than you think. Good luck!!!
  • KELM0710
    Options
    I have 2 5lb hand weights..If i start with those and its too much I do have soup in the pantry. :)
  • KELM0710
    Options
    Should I take measurements before i start the shred? If so which ones?

I figured I probably should since I will be building muscle mass.
  • MammaCase
    Options
    i would think you would want to measure, thigh, hips, waist, arm, chest and neck? when are you going to start it?? Ill start it with you.. i have it and i did it one day and was sore as hell i want to start it again..
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying it without weights for the first couple of times to make sure you are using proper form and until you get the routine down. Stretching out afterward is just as important as the warm-up. Also, If you have On Demand service, level 1 is on there for free! I love that it's only 20 minutes.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I love the shred and also injured myself last year! Great stuff! :grumble:
    I find level 2 the hardest. I really enjoy level 3 and even use the moves in my own weight workouts.

****IMPORTANT**** Avoid the knee circles in level 1!! They are incredibly dangerous for many as the move is not natural. My physio told me this a few months ago after having treatment for achilles tendonitis (not caused by the shred)

Replace the knee circles with something else such as neck circles :flowerforyou:
  • Eilonwy74
    Eilonwy74 Posts: 22
    Options
    In a word: yes. But you CAN do it. I'm notoriously lazy about workout DVDs-I use them once and then am eternally bored-but I've made myself do this one multiple days in a row. (Really, this is amazing; I've been trying to use workout DVDs without success for about seven years.) It gets easier the more you do it. And you will notice results very quickly. I've already lost an inch off my waist line and a half inch off my hips (at least, I didn't measure yesterday). My best friend said I looked "tighter." So I'm pleased. But you will be cursing at Jillian constantly and you may want to die (in my case during the jump rope segments). Hopefully, though, it will all be worth it. :)

PS: I'm measuring the following:

Waist
    Hips
    Thigh
    Bicep
    Calf
    Neck
    Bust

And thanks for the tip on the knee circles, Natalie. I knew there was something unnatural about those!
  • KELM0710
    Options
    I had a feeling it would be better to start without the weights to see how I do. if i lose a few inches, a few pounds and at least feel motivated more..i will have accomplished what I am looking for.. If I do more Fantastic :happy:

Ok will definitely stay away from the Knee circles..

Eilonwy74--You mentioned Jump rope segments...I dont have a jump rope..Should I get one? Maybe I will just do jumping jacks at that point.
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You don't need a jump rope! In fact, Jillian and the two other women in the video don't use ropes. You just mimic the moves, sans rope.