Question about walking at an incline

Options
Hi everyone,
I walk on the treadmill at a 12.0 incline at 2.9 or 3 mph. I have to hold on to the top of the treadmill because it's such a steep incline. I put in my weight so it tracks my calories burned but I wonder if that's accurate because I'm not swinging my arms. Does anyone know? Thanks :)

Replies

• jessski
    jessski Posts: 24
    Options
    you are better off working at a less of an incline and not holding on.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Holding on negates the benefit of walking at an incline. Jessski has the right advice :)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Walking at an incline where you have to hold on completely negates the point of hill walking as you start to distribute your weight differently and are effectively just being pulled along.

If you wear an HRM test it out if you don't believe me.

You actually burn less by holding on.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I agree...if you're holding on, you aren't actually working against all your weight and "leaning" on the machine...I love to do hill climbs and general start at a 2 for 5 minute warm up, and then every 5 minutes after that go up two steps...once I get to incline 8, I stay there for 15-20 minutes and then work my way back down. Sometimes I have to rest my hands on the bars as my balance is horrible and I fall all over the place but I'm not holding on or using them to "help" me in any way.

Good Luck :)
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Wow - just read the info from the URL - I always hold on to the rails because I feel like I'm going to fall off or tumble over. Guess I will have to retrain myself to use the treadmill sans rails.
  • daylilies
    daylilies Posts: 92
    Options
    Thanks guys-I cannot run due to back problems and if I go any faster than like 2.9 on a flat level I feel like I'm going to trip and fall (I have balance issues)
    What do you guys recommend for the best burn?
    I must be doing something right, because I have lost weight, but maybe it's the diet change that is working more than the exercise.
  • daylilies
    daylilies Posts: 92
    Options
    I agree...if you're holding on, you aren't actually working against all your weight and "leaning" on the machine...I love to do hill climbs and general start at a 2 for 5 minute warm up, and then every 5 minutes after that go up two steps...once I get to incline 8, I stay there for 15-20 minutes and then work my way back down. Sometimes I have to rest my hands on the bars as my balance is horrible and I fall all over the place but I'm not holding on or using them to "help" me in any way.

Good Luck :)

Thanks, I will give this a try :) sounds do-able.