Question about optimal Fat Loss Heart Rate

Options
So I did the math to figure out my max/min etc. heart rates for fat loss.
Actually I have a shiny new HRM, so I didn't have to do the math, but still.

I've been trying to keep my Heart Rate at around 75% and at least under 80% because I'm concentrating on fat loss right now and I've read that 70-80 is what I should be aiming for.

I have only been doing cardio for three days and even the first day I had trouble keeping my HR under 85% because it felt too slow! I wasn't even out of breath, nor did I feel that I'd worked all that hard after the 40 minute work out. (I was using an Arc Trainer, by the way, and it was the second time I'd been to the gym and done cardio that day.) :x I'm 5'9", 181 lbs, and my fat ratio is probably around 30% judging by the last time I used a bathroom scale that was supposed to measure body fat... I dont know if that's even useful. xD;

My history: I've been living a relatively sedentary life for 10 years up until now. Before that I used to dance for a good 5-8 hours a week at a dance school for another 10 years and most of my childhood was spent conditioning my muscles in various dance styles.

My question is: Should I continue to aim for 70-80% even though it feels easy? I obviously dont mind, but I'm wondering if I'll be more or less effective if I work harder or less. Has my dancing history made this easier for me? Should I slow down because I'm getting ahead of myself, having only been actively exercising for three days?

Thanks, :x and sorry if this is a regular question... I did some light searching, but what I found wasn't enough to quell my curiosity.

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I don't know the answer to this...but I do have a suggestion. Maybe, aim for the 70-80%, and then do bursts of higher intensity intervals. That way...you get the best of both worlds :)
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Seems like you need to focus on HIIT, I've read lots about the 'fat burning zone' and many believe this information to be untrue (there are loads of studies on it if you want to read up).

Since it's fat loss you're after try HIIT, intensity is the key to burning fat in my experience.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert so please don't shoot me down, just trying to share what I've learned. If you disagree with my opinion, that's fine
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I just discussed this in exercise phys last term. The more intensity you are still going to keep burning more fat, you will rely more on carbs, but your fat burn will be higher. Only if you are at 100% of your hrm then you will be burning purely carbs, however the higher you go the less you will be able to do so it is best to stay in a range where you can keep it up for a greater amount of time. The best fat burning workout ever is strength training however!!
  • COMomto3
    COMomto3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Some one posted a link a while back and I will try to find it... but as far as I understand you go by your avg HR during an exercise, not just your peak.

I do interval training where my HR peaks at 195 but averages right where I should be...around 165. HTH
  • kswizzy
    kswizzy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good question! I wonder the same thing... As the HRM on the treadmill always tells me i'm way higher than I should be. But to keep it in that range... I basically can't run.. I have to just do short jogs and walk, when frankly, I'd rather just run.

I'm curious to see what the answer is!
  • MissAllison
    Options
    good question!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I recently read an artcile on this very subject. I'll try and find it and post it for you. Basically it said that a higher percentage of fat calories are burned at the lower HR (70 - 80%) but many more calories are burned at a higher rate 80% - 90%, so even though the ratio of fat calories vs carb caloires shift, your overall fat calories may stay the same or increase because you are burning more calories overall. The benefit increases because you are working towards a higher endurance level when you are at a higher HR. Does that make sense?
  • dshalbert
    Options
    Here's the link for "The Truth About the Fat Burning Zone" http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm
  • akamaki
    akamaki Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel a little better about pushing myself now.
    As long as I can keep it up the whole time, I'll go with the flow. Also, I have heard of HIIT. I never really thought of applying it to an Arc Trainer, but I guess including faster spurts would be good.
    I'd like to get into things like Insanity or PX90, but I dont have the space to do it at home right now. I have heard great things about them, though. I might look into it for Summer. :)
  • dshalbert
    Options
    Quick question . . .what does HIIT stand for? I see it referenced a lot.
  • akamaki
    akamaki Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's short for High Intensity Interval Training. :) The deal where you include short spurts of aggressive cardio into your workout to boost your results.

BTW, I did some HIIT tonight and increased the resistance a smidge for part of the workout, and I feel a lot better for it! I felt the burn. xD I was 85-97% for two 5 minute intervals... That was much more aggressive feeling than what I had been doing.
    Thanks for the tips everyone! :D
  • dshalbert
    Options
    It's short for High Intensity Interval Training. :) The deal where you include short spurts of aggressive cardio into your workout to boost your results.

Thanks!
  • dshalbert
    Options

Thanks!