Meeting Calorie Goal ???

Options
soccermommie02
soccermommie02 Posts: 24
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I have a question... need some assistance. I have been working really hard for 2 week counting caloires and doing very well. However several day I notice I am not getting to 1200 . I work 2nd shift so when I get up I pack my lunch and Dinner .I enter everything in to the database and by the end of the night I have sometime 200 left. Then if work out that day I have more... Can anyone give me some ideas of meal that are good to use that will help me get to my goal but not gove over in fat and carb.s

Thanks
Kristy

10 down 55 to go

Replies

• soccermommie02
    Options
    I have a question... need some assistance. I have been working really hard for 2 week counting caloires and doing very well. However several day I notice I am not getting to 1200 . I work 2nd shift so when I get up I pack my lunch and Dinner .I enter everything in to the database and by the end of the night I have sometime 200 left. Then if work out that day I have more... Can anyone give me some ideas of meal that are good to use that will help me get to my goal but not gove over in fat and carb.s

Thanks
    Kristy

10 down 55 to go
  • littlekimmyishy
    littlekimmyishy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    maybe try some healthy snacks?

like cucumber slices with a little bit of ranch, or carrots, whatever floats your boat.

apple slices, mandarin oranges, pea pods, just any snacky type fruit or vegetable that you can munch on, and still be healthy with :)

or add somethign to your sandwiches.

The best sandwich i ever had was whole wheat bread, a small amount of ranch on one slice of bread, spinach, thin sliced turkey, avacado, tomato, and cucmber.

I love veggies though so this was an EXCELLENT sandiwch :-p

or try the subway veggie sub if youre in a hurry. I love those, and a 6 inch is like 3 bucks :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Kristy,

I tend to go over in protein, but it is a challenge to get to all the calories if you work out.

Eat a big breakfast as soon as you get up, before you go to work. Use some whole grains mixed with protein. I have granola, soy milk, 2 tbl nonfat plain yogurt, with a fruit. Right now it's blueberry.

I find sometimes a fruit and yogurt shake, with 1 Tbl Instant breakfast before lunch is good. I try to have a fruit or fruit juice snack, or the shake right before my workout - for energy. Then when you get to lunch make it protein, carbs, and veggies - like that yummy sandwich littlekimmyishy mentioned. I'll have a nonfat string cheese and whole grain crackers as a before-dinner snack. V8 is a good choice, too. My favorite snack is Edamame.

I think women get in trouble by choosing to use WAY too much salad dressing. Get a spritzer (available at large stores) for your salad dressing. I never use more than 2 tsp dressing, so that is easy for me, and I always use an oil & balsamic vinagrette. Learn to use spices instead of oils - balsamic vinegar is very flavorful and if you sprinkle a little parmesan on, too, it's very tasty.

Before bed I have a cup of hot tea, it's the perfect wind-down for the day.

Good luck!
  • gtdavis
    Options
    I love my turkey wrap. I use one whole wheat tortilla, 100g of pan roasted turkey breast, low fat Jarlsberg cheese and some baby spinach with 2 tbls of Trader Joe's low fat ranch dressing (only 30 calories for 2 tbls.) I don't know if you are familiar with Trader Joe's They have wonderful wholesome food at low prices. I live in Southern California and I am not sure if you can find them any where else. Regardless. this is a very satisfying meal at around 200 calories.
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So....Not to put you on the spot or anything, but how can you pull off a turkey wrap for 200 calories? 100g of turkey breast-on average-comes in at about 80-90 calories. Low fat cheese is-on average- 60-70 calories an ounce. And tortillas, even low fat ones rarely come in at lower than 80-90 calories per. Add some low cal or low fat dressing at what...45 calories per tbs? So even if you just have ONE ounce of cheese (and I'm a cheese FANATIC so an ounce is so hard to stick to!) then you still have at least 270 calories on the low end.

Please don't think I'm being confrontational-on the contrary! I am just floundered by all the folks out there who are eating only 1200 calories a day. I'd be miserable. (I also don't "do" low fat dressing). So if you've honestly got a turkey wrap for 200 calories then pass on the recipe friend!!!
  • rdecember6
    rdecember6 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    By the way-I love Trader Joe's!!! If you can SWEAR your salad dressing kicks *kitten* I will definately try it. Especially for 35 calories per 2 tablespoons!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    gtdavis,

Very mysterious picture, my friend! I thought you were maybe "Samson" - or maybe that is a picture of him. He's a really interesting character in "Carnivale" on HBO. I just got season two. Check it out.

I believe you on the around 200 calories. Most of this is educated guessing anyway! Please tell me I don't have to weigh my 100g of turkey breast. Way too controlled for me - child of the 60s - free spirit and all that...

cm
  • swilson
    Options
    hey soccermommie02 try the South Beach Replacement bars for extra calories they have 210 caleeries 19 protein and 23 vitamins and minerals. Plus they are so good...
  • gtdavis
    Options
    OK here are the real numbers. I buy pan roasted turkey breast and have them slice it thick at my local deli. One slice is 50 grams which is 50 cal. One slice of Jarlsberg Lite cheese is 50 calories, really just 50 calories AND IT TASTES GOOD. I put a cup of my baby spinach/spring greens mixture with a drizzle of Trader Joe's Low Fat Parmesan Ranch Dressing ( 30 calories per 2 tablespoons), and wrap it in a whole wheat tortilla. Now you can buy low fat tortillas that don't taste very good or splurge and get Trader Joe's Hand Made Whole Wheat Tortillas at 140 calories. You can find some very good pan roasted turkey at Trader Joes that has an herb rub on it . I prefer just plain turkey. Everything else is from TJ's. They have some amazing healthy food all over the store. So here is how it breaks down.

50g turkey=50 cal
    1 slice cheese=50 cal
    greens and table spoon of dressing=20
    tortilla, pita, flat bread, chipati, or what ever you want to wrap it in. This is where you canc go low fat and save some more calories but sacrifice flavor.

P.S. That mysterious man is Pablo Picasso
This discussion has been closed.