Really slow running?

Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I've started running on the treadmill, but I'm only running about 3-3.5 mph. It's technically running (or jogging?) because of the gait I'm using, but MFP doesn't have an exercise calculation for running this slow. Should I just use walking as my logged exercise until I can get faster?

Replies

• mroper1
    mroper1 Posts: 10
    There is a "Walking, very, very brisk pace" that I use that when I am jogging at a slower rate, it may be a little shy on the calories burned count but better than stating you burned more than you actually did.
  • kym38
    kym38 Posts: 48
    if you log just walking, it will asked you for pace which you can choose either 3 or 4 mph. Hope that helps.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    I know that at 3.5, I'm still walking, though this may vary with your height... I'm only 5'4, and I have short legs, lol.
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    That is why I love my heart-rate monitor. The burn is different for me because of my heart rate. If I just log walking, I am way under on my calorie burn. I am a slow jogger too!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    It is difficult to get an accurate measurement of your total calorie burn, the only way to really know is to get a HRM. I would log it as fast paced walking. I think with most speeds an individual usually burns approx 100 calories in 10 minutes.

I run at 5 - 5.5 MPH and anything below 4.7 is a walk for me, but I'm 5ft 6 with long legs :happy:
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    i usually run at about 9km/h (5.6-5.7mph) i think, but i remember one time i was out running my 3km circuit and i had never made the whole distance before. i was determinned to run the whole thing. it took me about 25mins, however my previous best was around 22 with 2 walking breaks. this means that some of my running was slower than my walking pace (and i know it was because towards the end it was more like a controlled falling than a run) so even tho i was using a runing action i was going pretty slow. and at the end of it i was more knackered than the time i had done it quicker by walking part. so i guess that the running action burns more than a walking action even if the pace is the same. i would say it is because you use more of your body when you run.

PS i now do the whole 3km running at the above pace.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Thanks guys, that helps. I had a HRM, but I lost the wrist watch after 2 uses. I'm still hoping I can find it, but really irritated with myself for losing it.
This discussion has been closed.